CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 9, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #14,041 of 25,832
I jumped (unheard) from a Chord Mojo to the DAVE. What I heard in the Mojo I wanted as much as I could possibly get. That was a really big check to write (20x). I was confident but nervous. It exceeded my way high expectations by a country mile. With Blu2 (mScaler) I had zero hesitation and zero nervousness (preordered).
Similarly within the Chord line, I purchased the Mojo and several months later I bought the DAVE. It wasn’t until I added the Blu Mk 2 that I really began to appreciate the DAVE. I should also mention that I previously owned several “end game” DACs but the Mojo was an important, inexpensive purchase because it helped me understand how @Rob Watts DACs excel in creating the spatial senses of height, width, and depth. And it’s now become the inverse— I use the Mojo as my mini DAVE on the go.

I have no reason to upgrade from the DAVE and Blu Mk 2. Case closed.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #14,042 of 25,832
I havent heard anything better as of yet

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #14,043 of 25,832
I've recently changed my USB cable feeding the M Scaler/Dave combo. Never ceases to amaze me how a USB cable can change the sound of a system.

I previously used the Danacable TruStream USB. What the new FTA Callisto 0.8 mtr USB brings to my system is the following:
Improved Timbre/Tone, More believable and natural dynamics, more weight in the lower mids, more weight in the lower bass (almost like I have added a very subtle subwoofer to the mix), improved flow and musicality, much more natural high's (less edgy particularly when using Synergistic Research HFT's on my speakers), Less shouty sound, more organic and natural presentation ................ I guess more like real music.
Just been through the same process and same conclusion with the FTA, sounds more natural/organic than any USB ive heard. Have tried the Ganymede interconnect but not convinced by that.

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #14,044 of 25,832
what does it mean when it says this equipment must be earthed on the back of the dave? why and how do you actually do this? i don't recall seeing it on any other chord dacs.

I am pretty sure they simply mean 'do not lift the earth on your connectors or power cable.

In addition to these usual earthing means I use an 'earthing block' and earth Dave via the AES XLR input and Blu MkII M Scaler via the BNC input (as well as other components). Some people may be skeptical (about Grounding Blocks) but the difference in noise floor and clarity is not subtle on my system.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #14,046 of 25,832
I just got new BNC-cables from a renowned manufactor (not Wave-cables). The cables have a tight fit on the M-Scaler already but are just too tight to fit on the DAVE. I never had this problem with other cables (have used 3 different pairs). The cables neither fit on input 1+2 nor on 3+4. Somebody who experienced the same problems?

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #14,047 of 25,832
I tried some Chord offerings recently, one set were extremely tight, though connected without issue. They had a matt finish to the connector, which while i like the appearance i do wonder if this is just plated ontop of the existing and hence the tight fit.

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #14,048 of 25,832
Hi. I have been using dual bnc output of blu mk2 without any problem. This morning I tried using a single bnc cable via the "single bnc output", but sample rate is only showing 176.4 (instead of 352) on DAVE. Just wondering if anyone of you are using the single bnc output to DAVE? I have also checked the upsample toggle switch but no help.

I understand that the SCHIIT LOKI Tone controller goes between the DAC analogue output and the external preamp/amp analogue inputs. Is there any way to use this gadget with a CHORD DAVE/HMS set up? Since the preamp/amp is integral to the DAVE, am not sure how this could work without polluting the chain with an external amp.

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #14,049 of 25,832
I understand that the SCHIIT LOKI Tone controller goes between the DAC analogue output and the external preamp/amp analogue inputs. Is there any way to use this gadget with a CHORD DAVE/HMS set up? Since the preamp/amp is integral to the DAVE, am not sure how this could work without polluting the chain with an external amp.
It depends on your digital source to the HMS. If you can do parametric EQ or other DSP to your digital source prior to sending it to HMS that preserves the original sample rate, it is likely that this kind of EQ would be much more transparent than a $150 Schiit Loki analog device. That said, some EQ/DSP with some software/hardware changes the sample rate say from 44.1kHz to 96kHz which would obviously worsen the performance because it's not a high-end upsampling like HMS from 44.1kHz to 705.6kHz. Ultimately, once you need to EQ, you're always losing some degree of transparency, the question is how much. I use Roon and UltraRendu as a source so I EQ for my room and speakers but not for my headphones. But I don't do a full convolution because I believe the harm outweighs the benefits, I just do a couple of selective parametric EQ to remove room peaks and that's it. It was a reasonable compromise with minimal loss of transparency.

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #14,050 of 25,832
In the end I succeeded to get the cables in place. It was the center pins which were very tight and not easy to get in the right position. Now my Sablon BNC-cables sound promising (without burn in yet) but already better than the Belden cables I used before. More details, more natural sounding, less digital glare.

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #14,051 of 25,832
I must be crazy but I am thinking about trading in my hugo TT2 + m-scaler for a Dave. I remembered listening to the Dave a couple of years ago and was immediately struck by the intricacies of the presentation.

Would I be foolish to give up the 1M+ tap performance of the Hugo TT2+M-scaler and just rely on the Dave?

Decisions decisions..

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #14,052 of 25,832
I must be crazy but I am thinking about trading in my hugo TT2 + m-scaler for a Dave. I remembered listening to the Dave a couple of years ago and was immediately struck by the intricacies of the presentation.

Would I be foolish to give up the 1M+ tap performance of the Hugo TT2+M-scaler and just rely on the Dave?

Decisions decisions..
Do it, don't look back. The DAVE just provides a listening experience that is immersive and natural.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #14,053 of 25,832

Decisions decisions..

Searching for a second hands DAVE and sell the TT2 after could get you a better $ deal. But, even more important, top tier sound :). You’ll most likely always wonder how the M-DAVE sounds....and with reason. It’s THAT good.

Feb 20, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #14,054 of 25,832

Decisions decisions..

I have always swum slightly against the tide and and I prefer solo Dave to TT2+Mscaler.

You could always keep your eyes open for a second hand Mscaler after getting Dave.

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #14,055 of 25,832
You guys ain’t helping me save my money you know. I was thinking TT2+HMS. Looks like I’ll be going DAVE. I’m Heading to the bristol show tomorrow, I’ll have a chat with the nice chaps at Chord, get me a proper demo.
still can’t decide on silver or black. Decisions decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back