CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 8, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #14,026 of 25,834
What are the main differences between having HMS with the DAVE and without?
HMS is only an upscaler, its not a DAC, so you'll need a DAC to plug it into, which your headphones will then plug into the DAC.

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #14,027 of 25,834
HMS is only an upscaler, its not a DAC, so you'll need a DAC to plug it into, which your headphones will then plug into the DAC.
Sorry I meant what are the differences of a DAVE having a HMS and not having a HMS. The reviews are so overwhelming that the HMS is a must have, but I can't pin point what exactly does it do other than the general thought that it makes music sound more "analog"

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #14,028 of 25,834
Sorry I meant what are the differences of a DAVE having a HMS and not having a HMS. The reviews are so overwhelming that the HMS is a must have, but I can't pin point what exactly does it do other than the general thought that it makes music sound more "analog and warm"
@ray-dude's review is probably good to read, as blu2 and mscaler share similar upscaling feature.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-blu-mk-ii-digital-cd-transport.22848/reviews#review-19675

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #14,029 of 25,834
Some while back on this thread, a few members spoke highly of Dave of ZenWave Audio and his custom-made cables. Well, I reached out to him for a pair as well. I've been very happy with it after a year and change of really enjoying this cable directly connecting my Dave to a pair of lovely and efficient Omega CAM bookshelf speakers.

I've recently rearranged my gear, and this pair of RCA to spade cables are now up for sale. The 4-foot cables feature ZenWave's top end SMSG 20g speaker cable and all Furutech connectors. The wire is UPOCC silver/gold alloy wire with teflon insulation of ZenWave's own design. If anyone is interested in more info, feel free to shoot me a PM.

DSCF2659.jpgDSCF2660.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #14,030 of 25,834
In other news, I've had Dave + M Scaler for about a year now, mostly sourcing from an Allo USBridge. It's a USB reclocker hat for their Sparky computer -- which is a lot like a Raspberry Pi. So it runs linux with the Roon Bridge software.

I use Focal Stellia the most, I think, but Utopia, QDC Anole VX, Sony Z1R, LCD-i4, and LCD-2rev2 are also in rotation.

Just incredible sound out of any of them. Chord's stuff been just a pleasure to use.

On/off controls are in my Home Assistant software setup where I can toggle its zone of my PSAudio Power Plant 12 on my phone or in a browser.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #14,031 of 25,834
how is the z1r with your set up?

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #14,033 of 25,834
Could anybody help with identifying the age of a Chord Dave with a serial number #37600
TIA
That is that the pre-owned DAVE being sold by Nintronics.
I messaged them a couple of months ago, asking for more information, but never received a reply.
My wallet was half open, but I closed it again once it was clear that i had been ignored.
I know that several posters rate Nintronics highly, but they have failed to impress me regarding this DAVE.
Good luck all the same, because it is an attractive price.
:relaxed:

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #14,034 of 25,834
what does it mean when it says this equipment must be earthed on the back of the dave? why and how do you actually do this? i don't recall seeing it on any other chord dacs.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #14,035 of 25,834
Could anybody help with identifying the age of a Chord Dave with a serial number #37600
TIA

Well mine is serial number 31331 and I bought mine in Dec 2016. So I would say that serial number 37600 is a lot more recent than mine and should probably have a big chunk of guarantee left.

If you are in the UK why not phone Nintronics?

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #14,037 of 25,834
For most DAVE owners in here, did you guys feel more wowed when jumping from previous DAC to DAVE or from already having a DAVE and adding M scaler to it?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #14,038 of 25,834
For most DAVE owners in here, did you guys feel more wowed when jumping from previous DAC to DAVE or from already having a DAVE and adding M scaler to it?

Thanks in advance.

From previous dac (Bricasti M1SE).

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #14,039 of 25,834

Thanks in advance.

I jumped (unheard) from a Chord Mojo to the DAVE. What I heard in the Mojo I wanted as much as I could possibly get. That was a really big check to write (20x). I was confident but nervous. It exceeded my way high expectations by a country mile. With Blu2 (mScaler) I had zero hesitation and zero nervousness (preordered).

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #14,040 of 25,834
@F208Frank: For me, Dave was the bigger upgrade. Even though I came from Hugo 2, Dave added more conviction and detail. M Scaler seems to add a bit more air and smoothness somehow, but to me I think it was a smaller change.

@musickid: Off the bat, I really like how the Z1R is so comfortable with its light-pressure earpads and overall lightweight nature. Versus the Focals and LCD-i4, I think the Z1R misses out on some high frequency air and overall focus & clarity (though there is plenty), but what you get is a marvelous body and low end to satisfy a basshead. Its presentation is involving and fun, but probably not one a mixing engineer would want. (They call the product Signature, not Reference.) However, for a wide range of music from jazz to drum & bass, I really enjoy these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back