CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 11, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #13,906 of 25,832
Wait, an $85K dac sounds better than the $15K Dave/HMS combo? Who woulda thought? :money_mouth:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #13,907 of 25,832
I saw a nice quote somewhere it was like "Every sounds can be measured but not every measurement can sound, trust your ears" which is true for me.

When mixing spec and price into a component people might lose connection to music. We may start thinking that this equipment is so overprice/outdated spec/technology while listening which alters the emotion that the record may offer at the time. Be open mind, and listen to what they can offer to our ears is the best measurement for sound (in this hobby) known to mankind.

BTW I'm still using Dave+HMS. It's a good value for money (at least for me).

Cheers
Exactly that's what I wanted to say everything can't be measured. Like the effect of long taps in chord dacs. After a certain limit it's not measurable. But some things can be measured easily and can have profound effect on music. One is the effective bits of resolution the dac can provide. For some music it will not matter but for orchestral music it will matter.

Jan 11, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #13,908 of 25,832
Hi,
I am getting used to my new Dave MSC and I will post some impressions soon :)

I seem to have read somewhere the max volume for Dave is around + 7. Is that right? What happens if (theoretically) I go beyond that?
thanks

Jan 11, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #13,909 of 25,832
Hi,
I am getting used to my new Dave MSC and I will post some impressions soon :)

I seem to have read somewhere the max volume for Dave is around + 7. Is that right? What happens if (theoretically) I go beyond that?
thanks
If your music material never clipped previously, and is recorded at a low volume level, going beyond +7 would do nothing because it might still not clip at +8 or higher. If your musical material already clips or sometimes reaches maximum digital recording range, then going above +7 would clip digitally.

this is assuming you’re playing bit perfect from your source to the M-Scaler. Obviously if your player is digitally lowering the volume before sending the signal to M-Scaler, it’ll take way more than +7 to clip. But of course, you should always play bit perfect if possible into M-Scaler and DAVE because any computer digital manipulation of the source would worsen the DAVE M-Scaler sonic performance.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #13,910 of 25,832
It's both recording and volume dependent. A BluDave can't voltage clip with volume set to +6dB - even with material that hits the max of 0dBFS. But it could current limit into 8 ohms, as this allows a max of 4.1V RMS into 8 (2.1W). It can't current limit at +3dB, so your danger zone is +5dB on the volume. But I suspect your problem is the recordings just don't hit max level of 0dBFS - if it sounds as loud as regular recordings set to -4dB then don't worry!

@BPED
I asked a similar question some time ago and here is RW response.

Here's a link to the post
Post #884

G

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #13,911 of 25,832
If your music material never clipped previously, and is recorded at a low volume level, going beyond +7 would do nothing because it might still not clip at +8 or higher. If your musical material already clips or sometimes reaches maximum digital recording range, then going above +7 would clip digitally.

this is assuming you’re playing bit perfect from your source to the M-Scaler. Obviously if your player is digitally lowering the volume before sending the signal to M-Scaler, it’ll take way more than +7 to clip. But of course, you should always play bit perfect if possible into M-Scaler and DAVE because any computer digital manipulation of the source would worsen the DAVE M-Scaler sonic performance.

thanks. Yes I am playing music bit perfect via Qobuz/Roon. My question was related to low volume recordings of classic music, in case I decide to use the Dave to power “difficult headphones”.

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #13,912 of 25,832
@BPED
I asked a similar question some time ago and here is RW response.

Here's a link to the post
Post #884

G

useful, thank you. It’s a treat to have such an helpful community and Rob himself to answer our questions!

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #13,913 of 25,832
Slightly OT but since there are quite a few of us here driving tour speakers with Dave..I'll ask anyway :wink:

I am bit struggling to find the best position for my speakers. Due to the fact that one is close to a side wall I have the suspect that the sound image is slightly shifted to that side.

I am trying to find a couple of good tracks so that I can listen to instruments' placement on my headphones and then move around speakers until I find the same bass tone, imaging (difficult!) and position of instruments.

Which tracks do you use to test left right balance, width and depth of stage?

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #13,915 of 25,832
Just wondering if any of you also found it difficult to find a power cord which gives a firm lock? Looking at the freebee cable thrown in with Dave the iec plug pins openings are a bit smaller then any other I tried. So these fit well. I have some cords terminated with Wattgate 320i and I had to use the ‘adapter’ the dealer threw in to get a firm fit. It’s a small plastic tube which slides into the plug. Same thing with my Etude btw.

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #13,916 of 25,832
Just wondering if any of you also found it difficult to find a power cord which gives a firm lock? Looking at the freebee cable thrown in with Dave the iec plug pins openings are a bit smaller then any other I tried. So these fit well. I have some cords terminated with Wattgate 320i and I had to use the ‘adapter’ the dealer threw in to get a firm fit. It’s a small plastic tube which slides into the plug. Same thing with my Etude btw.

Any pictures of the adapter or a name of the company that makes it?

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #13,917 of 25,832
Any pictures of the adapter or a name of the company that makes it?

Attached little card that came with it. Manufactured by Wattgate.

IMG_1051.JPG

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #13,919 of 25,832
Slightly OT but since there are quite a few of us here driving tour speakers with Dave..I'll ask anyway :wink:

I am bit struggling to find the best position for my speakers. Due to the fact that one is close to a side wall I have the suspect that the sound image is slightly shifted to that side.

I am trying to find a couple of good tracks so that I can listen to instruments' placement on my headphones and then move around speakers until I find the same bass tone, imaging (difficult!) and position of instruments.

Which tracks do you use to test left right balance, width and depth of stage?

That is also what I did to calibrate the bass levels correctly. Used the Focal Utopia headphones, HD 800 S and HD 650 to detect bass problems and fix it.

For soundstage and imaging, I use live jazz music and see if it sounds like a real live jazz band playing in the room right in front of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back