CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 3, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #13,096 of 25,832
For connecting DAVE to Chord TToby amp to drive speakers is there any advantage to using DAVE balanced output as opposed to the RCA output?
I recall @Rob Watts saying a long time ago that the noise level via RCA is slightly lower than Balanced but ultimately, it’ll depend on your setup and the amp design. And I don’t recall @Mojo ideas stating whether one connection method is better than another.

That said, if you can afford it, you should really give the Etude a listen. The case work matches your DAVE and it sounds superb. I have only listened to older Chord amps so I’ve never listened to the TToby generation of Chord amps but I do think Etude is a leap in performance level and one of the top amplifiers out there with great neutrality and musicality.

May 7, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #13,097 of 25,832
Hey guys

Im just about to pull the trigger on a Dave to add to my M Scaler and upgrade my Qutest

Is there any members here that have replaced the Qutest with the Dave and if so how big a difference was the change

TBH im loving the Qutest & HMS combo but I have a chance to get a Dave at a fantastic price

Your thoughts please and much appreciated

Cheers

Deano

May 7, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #13,098 of 25,832
Hey guys
Im just about to pull the trigger on a Dave to add to my M Scaler and upgrade my Qutest
Is there any members here that have replaced the Qutest with the Dave and if so how big a difference was the change
TBH im loving the Qutest & HMS combo but I have a chance to get a Dave at a fantastic price
Cheers
Deano

I have not had a Qutest but I do have a TT2 and Dave and all I can say is that Dave is ahead of TT2 by some margin so I would expect the step from Qutest to be even bigger.

You are unlikely to ever regret getting a Dave especially if you have an Mscaer.

May 7, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #13,099 of 25,832
@Deano1974
I had Qutest.. sold and get Dave.
Difference like night and day. It just another sound signature. To my taste much much better one. Dave is more successor of the first Higo and TT. Like finalbsatamnet of this line. Qutest and company.. has more commercial tuned sound if you wish. I don't like.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #13,100 of 25,832
Hey guys

Cheers

Deano

I have had Qutest > TT2 and finally ended with a Dave.
All are great sounding but the Dave definately has the edge especially regarding vocal music.

May 7, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #13,103 of 25,832
@Deano1974
I had Qutest.. sold and get Dave.
Difference like night and day. It just another sound signature. To my taste much much better one. Dave is more successor of the first Higo and TT. Like finalbsatamnet of this line. Qutest and company.. has more commercial tuned sound if you wish. I don't like.

Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated!

May 15, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #13,104 of 25,832
Hey guys

Cheers

Deano
Has anyone yet honestly compared the DAVE plus minus Mscaler to the Sony DMP-Z1?

May 15, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #13,105 of 25,832
If anyone is looking to upgrade the stock optical cable I have a brand new Lifatec optical 50cm toslink for sale in the market section. Tried and tested with DAVE / HMS and no drop outs with 192khz. As I have recently added an Auralic G1 streamer and had to move around equipment on the rack the 50cm is unfortunately too short. EU buyers only :wink:.

May 15, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #13,106 of 25,832
Placing an order with my dealer next week for the Chord "Etude" amplifier to complete my system :). I had a look at the on-line user manual and what puzzled me is that the "red" speaker terminals are indicated as being "negative". I would expect these to be "positive" as is common ?

May 15, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #13,107 of 25,832
Placing an order with my dealer next week for the Chord "Etude" amplifier to complete my system :). I had a look at the on-line user manual and what puzzled me is that the "red" speaker terminals are indicated as being "negative". I would expect these to be "positive" as is common ?
Huh. That’s a very good point. I still connected black to black, red to red and my speakers are in phase. Not sure if it matters. Perhaps John Franks @Mojo ideas can comment.

May 15, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #13,108 of 25,832
Huh. That’s a very good point. I still connected black to black, red to red and my speakers are in phase. Not sure if it matters. Perhaps John Franks @Mojo ideas can comment.

My comment was based on section 3.4 of the user manual.
However I just saw in section 4.4 of the manual that "red' is "positive" so it seems that the "text" on the rear picture of Etude is in error in the manual.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #13,110 of 25,832
Just like to thank Nick @Triode User, had a dem today of an etude and various speakers to add to my Blu2Dave, ended up ordering ATC SCM40A's these speakers punch so far above their weight and match the Blu2Dave so well

Thanks and welcome to the ATC club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back