CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 25, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #12,841 of 25,821

Another picture of DAVE + EMPYREAN, but no prototype this time. :) A really great combination, imo.

34920963mz.jpg

34920968oi.jpg

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #12,843 of 25,821
Can the DAVE be used with headphones having a balanced cable? Will I need to get a new cable or is there an adapter to go from an existing 4.4 mm TRRRS plug to use two (R and L) XLR female plugs? It’s a pain that the balanced outputs are on the back of DAVE instead of on the front and then cannot use the XLR out to drive Omega speakers. Is there a perceptible difference between single ended and balanced out from DAVE? Should I just get an adapter to go from the 4.4 TRRRS to SE 1/4 in plug? Will this degrade anything?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #12,844 of 25,821
Unlike with the TT₂ DAVE's balanced outputs are not suitable for headphones, just high-impedance loads. So an adapter from TRRRS to single-ended ¼" will be the solution. Every adapter causes some minor sound degradation, but probably you won't notice it, the less so without direct comparison. Of course you could also reterminate the cable with a ¼" TRS plug...

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #12,847 of 25,821
I see you both use crossfeed off? Just with the Meze or in general?
The Empyrean is the first headphone that I have found sounds best with Crossfeed off on DAVE. Everything else I have listened to I have preferred Crossfeed set to 2 or 3. Advantage is I don't have to remember to turn it off when listening to the Empyrean and switching to speakers!

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #12,848 of 25,821
Anyone with an Empyrean, compare it to the ABYSS PHI through DAVE? A lot of comments about Empyrean vs focal, audeze and hifiman cans but nothing comparing it to the Abyss. I am particularly curious about comparative performance vs DAVE because the Empyrean is so much more efficient...

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #12,849 of 25,821
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #12,850 of 25,821
I used the ceossfeed off with the Meze and I liked how it sounds. Tried same with HD820 but resolution, the sound was dry and not of my liking.

The Empyrean is the first headphone that I have found sounds best with Crossfeed off on DAVE. Everything else I have listened to I have preferred Crossfeed set to 2 or 3. Advantage is I don't have to remember to turn it off when listening to the Empyrean and switching to speakers!

Just with Empyrean. I use crossfeed 1 with Utopia.

+1. Same impression here.

Interesting! I have the Empyrean en route, will give no crossfeed a shot, I typically use 2-3.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #12,851 of 25,821
Unlike with the TT₂ DAVE's balanced outputs are not suitable for headphones, just high-impedance loads. So an adapter from TRRRS to single-ended ¼" will be the solution. Every adapter causes some minor sound degradation, but probably you won't notice it, the less so without direct comparison. Of course you could also reterminate the cable with a ¼" TRS plug...
Thanks for the info. The problem is that I wanted to use my HEK
Thanks for that detailed response. My dilemma is that I have an expensive after market cable that is single ended in the 1/4” plug for the DAVE but I also want to use the HEKse with a DAP that has balanced out. I use the DAP only when on vacation so even though I can reterminate the single ended cable with 4.4 mm TRRRS I would then need to use a TRRRS to 1/4” plug adapter with unknown effect on SQ with DAVE. So I may just have to spring for a new balanced cable.

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #12,852 of 25,821
Anyone with an Empyrean, compare it to the ABYSS PHI through DAVE? A lot of comments about Empyrean vs focal, audeze and hifiman cans but nothing comparing it to the Abyss. I am particularly curious about comparative performance vs DAVE because the Empyrean is so much more efficient...
I listened to both, but using an amp in between. I had a clear preference for the Abyss. I posted my comparison in the Empyrean thread.

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #12,855 of 25,821

Users who are viewing this thread

Back