CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #12,826 of 25,821
will you be adding an mscaler nay?

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #12,828 of 25,821
immediately or later. i'm interested how folk are managing the upgrades.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #12,829 of 25,821
immediately or later. i'm interested how folk are managing the upgrades.
It will be a little later.
Qutest, TT2 was enough audio pleasure to go for Dave.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #12,830 of 25,821
good luck with dave!

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #12,831 of 25,821
Hi,have ordered a Dave should have it in next few weeks and would like to ask what users have for the mains side.
I noticed looking at the online manual it takes the Kettle lead type power cable have any found an improvement changing this and if so what type?or is it better to go for a Power conditioner and use the supplied lead?
Any info appreciated.
Thank you.

I use the mains lead it came with.

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #12,833 of 25,821
for dave owners if you had to live with a h2 or tt2 with hms vs a standalone dave what would you go for and most importantly why?

I'd go with just a DAVE over M-Scaler -> Hugo 2 (or M-Scaler -> Qutest).

I've not gotten to try the Hugo TT 2 with an M-Scaler outside of show conditions, so it's possible I'd take that over just a DAVE - though probably not very likely as I could find a used DAVE for very close to what the Hugo TT 2 costs right now (if the comparison were to a used Hugo TT 2 at some point in the future that would obviously change).

As to why ... I find that DAVE on its own still provides a more resolving, nuanced, and enjoyable overall result along with having better micro-dynamics and sense of scale/power (not talking about output power) to boot. Hugo 2 might benefit a bit more over DAVE with the addition of an M-Scaler, but still doesn't reach quite the same level as a pure DAVE for me.

Beyond that, I don't really care for Hugo 2 on the desktop (nothing to do with its sound). Love it in a transportable role, but on a desktop I find it ergonomically irritating - especially with the M-Scaler. And while I can certainly see people using it both on-the-go/transportably, and then putting it back into their desktop rig for more considered listening, that particular use case, ideal as it is for Hugo 2, is something I'd personally get too irritated by with the plugging/unplugging (yes, even if it was just once a day - I'm fussy that way).

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #12,834 of 25,821
I second Torq's comments above on the unique, almost inscrutable goodness of the DAVE.
Sometimes a component is so good, it's really not worth second-guessing whether substituting it for something else to save a modest amount of money is a wise move, because you'll always be wondering if you did the right thing.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #12,835 of 25,821
I second Torq's comments above on the unique, almost inscrutable goodness of the DAVE.
Sometimes a component is so good, it's really not worth second-guessing whether substituting it for something else to save a modest amount of money is a wise move, because you'll always be wondering if you did the right thing.
I agree with getting the DAVE now. Once your wallet settles down without a doubt you will follow this with the purchase of the HMS. You will read too much about it not too. Enjoy!

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #12,836 of 25,821
Some people, I think, they still prefer the Hugo TT 2 over Dave beacuse is more versatile, easier to transport , has more power output and can be used with external USB battery pack. For me must be Dave, I love everything about it, sounds really good with my Empyrean and is powerful enough to drive Omega loudspeakers.
I don't own one but I hope I will this year :)

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #12,837 of 25,821
join the club. the mscaler is so fantastic though you would just end up wanting to add one to dave!!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #12,838 of 25,821
20190125_112750_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back