CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 1, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #12,811 of 25,752
Jan 1, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #12,813 of 25,752
is there any new product TBC at the january show?

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #12,814 of 25,752
"I also tried a Chord DAVE with a pair of Ether 2s and was somewhat disappointed. While the resolving power of the DAC seemed greater than the Hugo TT 2, the headphone output did not seem quite as powerful and I didn’t have the same sense of musical engagement with this setup. Looking at the specs, the DAVE has quite a bit less power than the Hugo series, and a Cavalli and DAVE setup at the Mr. Speakers table sounded superb, so I suspect the DAVE benefits more from outboard amplifiers than the Hugo TT 2."

Those were the words of Grover Neville InnerFidelity CANJAM RMAF and as i am considering upgrading my Hugo 2 TT for a Dave and only using Headphones direct and i am aware the output is much lower with Dave it still concerns me that he felt it was less engaging musically than the Hugo 2 TT?

Update: I have read the review again and it looks as though the Hugo TT2 was used with M Scaler and the Dave without so maybe that explains his outcome?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #12,815 of 25,752
"I also tried a Chord DAVE with a pair of Ether 2s and was somewhat disappointed. While the resolving power of the DAC seemed greater than the Hugo TT 2, the headphone output did not seem quite as powerful and I didn’t have the same sense of musical engagement with this setup. Looking at the specs, the DAVE has quite a bit less power than the Hugo series, and a Cavalli and DAVE setup at the Mr. Speakers table sounded superb, so I suspect the DAVE benefits more from outboard amplifiers than the Hugo TT 2."

Those were the words of Grover Neville InnerFidelity CANJAM RMAF and as i am considering upgrading my Hugo 2 TT for a Dave and only using Headphones direct and i am aware the output is much lower with Dave it still concerns me that he felt it was less engaging musically than the Hugo 2 TT?

What headphone will you be using?

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #12,817 of 25,752
Hi,Meze Empyrean.

DAVE has MORE than enough power for the Meze Empyrean. I am listening to it at -32db to -22db, so there is much more than enough headroom. The Emyprean ist just as easy to drive as the Focal Utopia. DAVE + Empyrean is pure bliss (and preferrable to Hugo TT2 + Empyrean, imo).

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #12,818 of 25,752
Anyone know how to use a smartphone as a source?
I think Rob said he even used his phone as a source connected to the Dave.

I tried connecting my android phone via micro-USB to UBS to the back of another DAC that was also connected to a amp.
When I played music, the music just played through the phone & not through the headphones that was connected to the amp.

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #12,819 of 25,752

I tried connecting my android phone via micro-USB to UBS to the back of another DAC that was also connected to a amp.
When I played music, the music just played through the phone & not through the headphones that was connected to the amp.
have a read through the faq in post #3 of the mojo thread. the info about phone settings should be generic - i think the settings relating to output device are probably relevant.

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #12,820 of 25,752

Was the cable an OTG cable?

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #12,821 of 25,752
DAVE has MORE than enough power for the Meze Empyrean. I am listening to it at -32db to -22db, so there is much more than enough headroom. The Emyprean ist just as easy to drive as the Focal Utopia. DAVE + Empyrean is pure bliss (and preferrable to Hugo TT2 + Empyrean, imo).
I have to admit that the Empyrean with Dave is something rather special, that I can live with for a long time.Very musical, engaging, addictive.

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #12,822 of 25,752

I would imagine if you want to use your phone as a source you would need to have an app on your phone that can output music via OTG for example UAPP, Hiby Onkyo HF Player and many others depending on operating system iOS or Abdroid

When connecting via an OTG cable you should be given an option to output from that installed app

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #12,824 of 25,752
for dave owners if you had to live with a h2 or tt2 with hms vs a standalone dave what would you go for and most importantly why? im my case a dave purchase excludes the addition of the mscaler due to finances? feedback appreciated mk. i'm running h2/hms now and i am familiar through quick listening sessions to dave in store but only very short though and auditioning again is difficult. if i did go for a dave in the near future i would trade in my h2/hms towards it. but on reflection the mscaler is really great you would end up somehow adding one to dave!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #12,825 of 25,752
Hi,have ordered a Dave should have it in next few weeks and would like to ask what users have for the mains side.
I noticed looking at the online manual it takes the Kettle lead type power cable have any found an improvement changing this and if so what type?or is it better to go for a Power conditioner and use the supplied lead?
Any info appreciated.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back