CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 5, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #11,851 of 25,834
Dear all, do you suppose future Chord digital amp will have analog imput? I am inclined to wait for it, for best sinergy with BluDave set, but need ampli also for my classic pre, since half of the listening is from lp (other half is from cd).
Otherwise I should consider a good Class A amp (leaving the valves I have today).
Thanks in advice.
sp
Chord digital amp won’t have analog input for the simple reason that it’ll require a proper ADC which Rob Watts is developing. It is possible (and I think probable) that his ADC combined with the digital amp would have better transparency than vinyl through traditional preamp and amp. But I suspect it’ll be another couple of years before we’d find out.

The bigger issue I think is that if you’re used to valve sound, you probably appreciate some second and third harmonic distortions from your amp and you’re not likely to get that from the digital amp so I’d say a class A amp is the way to go.

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #11,852 of 25,834
Hi Guys,

I have an opportunity to give a DAVE a test listen for the first time very soon. I am using a Macbook Pro as my source, via the optical, and USB outputs. How do I know if these outputs are bit perfect? That has been mentioned as being important. Also, I will be using PCM files, what are the best settings for PCM? Sorry, I've never used the DAVE before, and don't know too much about its various settings. Thanks for the help :)
It would help to know what you normally do with your laptop and your current USB DAC. Most music players automatically play bit perfect unless you program them not to. If you’re using iTunes then you might have to change your MacBook settings.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #11,853 of 25,834
Hello, DAVErs! I'm considering a power cable upgrade.

I hear good things about thicker-gauged power cables (7-9 AWG) with the DAVE, but many people report great results with the Shunyata Venom 3 (10 AWG). Still others are perfectly happy with the 14-gauge Pangea AC 14SE -- and I would imagine the AC 14 XL MKII would perform even better.

I'm looking for a 2-meter length, and unless I can find a Venom 3 for sale, my current considerations are:
  • Pangea AC 14 XL MKII (14 gauge, $225)
  • Pangea AC 9SE MKII (7 gauge, $250)
You know, unless I really decide to consider the $1k+ fancy-pants cables from Shunyata et al... it's just hard for me to seriously consider that type of money here. The flip, I suppose, is that these cables stay relevant across equipment upgrades... Without an infinite budget, would anyone still suggest I consider these cables over the two I listed? Where can they be purchased, anyway?

I have a PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12 being delivered on Tuesday which I will be using with a 3 meter Pangea AC 9SE MKII. I'd like to compare the stock DAVE cable with a possible upgrade. Any suggestions of which to try?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #11,854 of 25,834

I hear good things about thicker-gauged power cables (7-9 AWG) with the DAVE, but many people report great results with the Shunyata Venom 3 (10 AWG). Still others are perfectly happy with the 14-gauge Pangea AC 14SE -- and I would imagine the AC 14 XL MKII would perform even better.

I'm looking for a 2-meter length, and unless I can find a Venom 3 for sale, my current considerations are:
You know, unless I really decide to consider the $1k+ fancy-pants cables from Shunyata et al... it's just hard for me to seriously consider that type of money here. The flip, I suppose, is that these cables stay relevant across equipment upgrades... Without an infinite budget, would anyone still suggest I consider these cables over the two I listed? Where can they be purchased, anyway?

I have a PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12 being delivered on Tuesday which I will be using with a 3 meter Pangea AC 9SE MKII. I'd like to compare the stock DAVE cable with a possible upgrade. Any suggestions of which to try?

My first thought is have you got a Blu2 or a Hugo Mscaler on order? Either of these will do far more for your sound quality than the PSAudio powerplant 12 or any of the cables.

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #11,855 of 25,834
My first thought is have you got a Blu2 or a Hugo Mscaler on order? Either of these will do far more for your sound quality than the PSAudio powerplant 12 or any of the cables.

Thank you, absolutely. Yes, Hugo M Scaler is on order.

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #11,857 of 25,834

While I personally cannot recommend the Pangea AC 14SE, Venom 3 is a fine power cable, imo. If your budget is larger, go for a used Shunyata Alpha HC (7 AWG). I love the full and dynamic "sound" of this cable between Dave and PS Audio P5. Alpha Analog should be fine too. Also Alpha Digital sounds quite good, but it limits dynamics (it is designed for digital only gear). The new Alpha NR power cable sounds much leaner between Dave als PS Audio P5.

Btw, I have already ordered an M-Scaler. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #11,858 of 25,834
Hi Guys,

I have an opportunity to give a DAVE a test listen for the first time very soon. I am using a Macbook Pro as my source, via the optical, and USB outputs. How do I know if these outputs are bit perfect? That has been mentioned as being important. Also, I will be using PCM files, what are the best settings for PCM? Sorry, I've never used the DAVE before, and don't know too much about its various settings. Thanks for the help :)

Tell us what software you use to play music so we can better help with settings.

Basically, let the DAVE do all the sampling and output the file to the DAVE at the native sample rate in the original format. In other words, don’t up-sample / down-sample / convert on the Mackbook Pro. Also, use the PCM+ mode on the DAVE.

You can read the manual if you want to help answer any questions about the operation:

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Dave-User-Manual.pdf

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #11,859 of 25,834
Depending on the headphone and the recording, I sometimes use bit-perfect, sometimes not (using EQ to calm any glare or other highs).
This is in JRiver. There is no single answer.
For me, after lots of A/B testing, I leave the HF filter off.
For .dsf files, I like DSD+. Most of these are fine in bit perfect, but even a few of these like some EQ.
(FWIW, these dsd recordings sound quite excellent to me. But I love my 16/44 material in PCM+ also. There is a difference though.)

Again, play around. I'm sure you'll be very happy with DAVE. It's a sonic marvel.

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #11,860 of 25,834
While I personally cannot recommend the Pangea AC 14SE, Venom 3 is a fine power cable, imo. If your budget is larger, go for a used Shunyata Alpha HC (7 AWG). I love the full and dynamic "sound" of this cable between Dave and PS Audio P5. Alpha Analog should be fine too. Also Alpha Digital sounds quite good, but it limits dynamics (it is designed for digital only gear). The new Alpha NR power cable sounds much leaner between Dave als PS Audio P5.

Btw, I have already ordered an M-Scaler. :beyersmile:

Thank you, @rgs9200m & @xxx1313 for these thoughts. It has been the recommendation for the thick gauge, "high current" power cables that has me considering the Pangea AC 9SE MKII (7 AWG) over the Pangea AC 14 XL MKII (14 AWG). Is this sound logic, or is most of the superiority of a cable like the Alpha HC having to do with other factors beyond simply the thickness of the conductors? The thing is... this cable costs over 4x the Pangeas - this seems to be really pushing the whole diminishing returns thing. (Maybe being patient for a used offering is a good option here...)

I was about to pull the trigger on the AC 14 XL MKII, but the thicker gauge and thus "high current" suitability of the 9SE has me thinking about that option, given some of the comments I've read.

Any guesses as to which of the two would be better for the DAVE? I realize there may not be a simple answer here... But I'm looking for any help in my decision :)

I appreciate the recommendations I've received so far, and I'd love to hear any others folks may have! I'm just looking specifically at Pangea because they seem to be a great value.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #11,861 of 25,834
Chord digital amp won’t have analog input for the simple reason that it’ll require a proper ADC which Rob Watts is developing. It is possible (and I think probable) that his ADC combined with the digital amp would have better transparency than vinyl through traditional preamp and amp. But I suspect it’ll be another couple of years before we’d find out.

The bigger issue I think is that if you’re used to valve sound, you probably appreciate some second and third harmonic distortions from your amp and you’re not likely to get that from the digital amp so I’d say a class A amp is the way to go.

Thanks. I am considering the little Pass 30 watt for my Harbeth S.HL 5.

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #11,862 of 25,834
I was about to pull the trigger on the AC 14 XL MKII, but the thicker gauge and thus "high current" suitability of the 9SE has me thinking about that option, given some of the comments I've read.

I would think that noise reduction is more important than thicker gauge. If you go with a Pangea cable, be sure to compare it with a Venom 3 power cable. They are quite cheap, especially used, and in case that it does not convice you, also easy to sell with little to no loss.

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #11,863 of 25,834
My experience has been that the Shunyata digital-specific power cables are excellent. I have some going back to the Anaconda VX from 12 years ago and love the sound.
The gauge of a power cable is not really a reliable indicator of how it sounds, especially considering the synergy with the type of equipment is much more important.
The Shunyatas are indeed heavy and thick (but flexible, so they can be dealt with moderately easily).
I mention these because I have been using Shunyatas for a long time and I kind of know their character.
I have not heard about the other recommendations here.

I use a Tel-Wire on my Dave (right into the wall) because I wanted something easy to deal with on my desk and, after trying a few, decided this was a very non-fatiguing cord that does well with digital pieces.
Another inexpensive one to try is a TG audio one. But the TelWire is much better to my ears. And it's a bargain in my book.

But if I was going to spend a lot, I would try the Shunyata.

Again, I am not criticizing any of the others mentioned here, I'm just not familiar with them.

(If you are looking used, search for a Shunyata Anaconda VX or Anaconda Alpha Helix. They were around 10+ years ago and I think they sound great and use them now.)

I just googled and found this one for sale for $880 on ebay. I have no relationship with this, I just searched for it; its a great-sounding cord for digital (not amps):
https://www.ebay.com/i/292652842978?chn=ps

Note how it has held it's price after all these years. I think it's a classic. I use one myself now.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #11,864 of 25,834

Shouldn’t we ask RW if any power cable or AC regeneration makes any perceptible improvement in SQ, especially with the addition of the M-scaler?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #11,865 of 25,834
Shouldn’t we ask RW if any power cable or AC regeneration makes any perceptible improvement in SQ, especially with the addition of the M-scaler?
Rob will of course have a view on this. But at the end of the day, we won’t be listening to music with Rob’s ears or listening to a music system connected to Rob’s mains supply. Those wondering about this should first try out some of the cheaper cables recommended by others on this thread or by their dealer, and if they can’t hear any change for the better, leave there.

I tried three upmarket mains cables with my DAVE before I got the Blu2, and each made a noticeable difference - one for the better and two for the worse. The one I kept was an ex-demo Shunyata Alpha HC, a cable that had met favour in @romaz system at that time. The DAVE is the only item in my system with a non-stock mains cable. I also had on loan for a week a PS Audio P3 regenerator, and struggled to hear any change in SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back