CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #11,404 of 25,832
So I listen to many .dsf files (5644 kbps) because I really like the sonics (using DAVE's DSD mode). So optical cables won't support this?

Optical standard maxes out at 24/192 and DSD64 (5644 kbps) so if the cable is made well it should be fine.

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #11,406 of 25,832
Hi own the chord dave recently
I have problem with dave as I connect my headphone to dave with the start up the headphone start making wiered noise and sample rate changes from 44.1 to 88 . I have to switch off the dave and then restart it to function normally.
When I touch the dave I feel the internals running and get a feeling of an electric shock.is that normal.
I use the basic power chord supplied by chord and basic usb cable for iMac .
Headphones used focal utopia he1000 lcd3 Sony z1r hd800 stax 009 with wes2generation.
Looking for help

Regards
Raghu

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #11,407 of 25,832
Raghu,

Are you using this in India? What is the humidity in the room with your DAVE?
Static discharge to your touch should not occur unless you are in a very dry environment.
No, the DAVE does not have a ground port for us to add a grounding cable.
You could try one of the many third party higher grade cable and then add a grounding AC conditioner.

The simplest way to rid your body static electricity in case that you are in a very dry room is using one of these:
https://goo.gl/jduq3H

Very inexpensive solution before touching your DAVE or other electronic devices.
If static discharge is not the issue here, you may want to talk to your Chord Dealer in your area.

Paul

I have problem with dave as I connect my headphone to dave with the start up the headphone start making wiered noise and sample rate changes from 44.1 to 88 . I have to switch off the dave and then restart it to function normally.
When I touch the dave I feel the internals running and get a feeling of an electric shock.is that normal.
Headphones used focal utopia he1000 lcd3 Sony z1r hd800 stax 009 with wes2generation.
Looking for help

Regards
Raghu

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #11,408 of 25,832
Looking for help
Regards, Raghu

I think that Rob Watts has posted before about this effect (the slight tingling feeling when touching the case which feels like a very mild electric effect) and that is something he has noticed with anodised casings but not with bare metal (I hope I have remembered correctly).

It is possible that it is your body which is picking up stray electric fields and then discharging through the earthed Dave casing. The Dave casing is connected to ground (assuming your electric supply is properly connected to ground through the earth pin) and so the Dave case is unlikely to have any charge on it. Hence my suggestion of the cause being a leakage current through you.

That's one idea anyway.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #11,409 of 25,832
Looking for help

Regards
Raghu
The post by Rob Watts.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-693#post-13997944

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #11,410 of 25,832
Thanks paulchiu, triode, miketsle
Yes Iam in India but my room is well ventilated and not dry. Will try out options suggested .
Wat about the wired ringing on headphones and change in sample rate wen connected for first time .

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #11,412 of 25,832

On rare occasions, my DAVE gets the sample rate wrong and displays, typically, 88 instead of 44, in which case the sound is extremely distorted and unlistenable.

This typically happens when the upstream components (microRendu and/or ISORegen) have just been powered up. Sometimes powering the upstream component off-and-on-again fixes this, but the more consistent fix is to switch DAVE off-and-on-again. I prefer to do this by putting DAVE in and out of Standby, as the power off causes a big bang at the headphones if they are connected at the time (as has been noted before).

I don't know what causes this, but guess that it's a handshake error when the upstream component is in a transient state immediately after power up.
As I generally leave all these components on 24/7 (DAVE in standby when not in use), this is a rare issue in practice.

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #11,413 of 25,832
On rare occasions, my DAVE gets the sample rate wrong and displays, typically, 88 instead of 44, in which case the sound is extremely distorted and unlistenable.

This typically happens when the upstream components (microRendu and/or ISORegen) have just been powered up. Sometimes powering the upstream component off-and-on-again fixes this, but the more consistent fix is to switch DAVE off-and-on-again. I prefer to do this by putting DAVE in and out of Standby, as the power off causes a big bang at the headphones if they are connected at the time (as has been noted before).

I don't know what causes this, but guess that it's a handshake error when the upstream component is in a transient state immediately after power up.
As I generally leave all these components on 24/7 (DAVE in standby when not in use), this is a rare issue in practice.

When you reconnect such devices, it’s probably best to reboot your laptop or streamer so that it makes a fresh connection with Dave through those devices. Fiddling with the USB chain without then doing that often results in connection issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back