CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 2, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #5,896 of 25,821
Following up on some earlier recommendations for the Wireworld Silver Electra 7 power cord, I've currently got on loan a one meter length of this cord to try out with the DAVE (they didn't have the one and a half meter I asked for, and I now think I probably need two meters).  It was new out of its case but I've managed to give it about 50 hours run-in.  Straight out of the case, my first impression listening with the HE1000 v.1 (Silver Dragon) and the Utopia was that the sound was more detailed, cleaner and much much brighter (far too bright).  The Silver Dragon on my HE1000 and using the LPS-1 powered microRendu already hinted at a little brightness in my system but the Silver Electra took it right over the edge.  Fifty hours in and some of that brightness has gone but some still remains.  I wonder, could I expect to hear much difference with a longer length of cord and/or with a Furutech plug (the cord I have has a standard UK 3-pin plug)?  Thanks.

Sadly, the Silver Electra 7 is not working out in my system and will have to go back. I've given it over 150 hours run-in and while there is much to like about it with the DAVE - greater distortion-free clarity, transparency, separation etc - the problem is that it accentuates the slight brightness of the microRendu, and there are too many instances when this detracts from my enjoyment of the music. I should say that I have been doing most of my listening with the Focal Utopia, which with stock cable is not very forgiving of this kind of thing (less so than my HE1000). It's a shame as I think the Silver Electra is reasonably priced and in addition to its audio strengths it does wonders for the picture on my plasma tv.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #5,897 of 25,821
Sadly, the Silver Electra 7 is not working out in my system and will have to go back. I've given it over 150 hours run-in and while there is much to like about it with the DAVE - greater distortion-free clarity, transparency, separation etc - the problem is that it accentuates the slight brightness of the microRendu, and there are too many instances when this detracts from my enjoyment of the music. I should say that I have been doing most of my listening with the Focal Utopia, which with stock cable is not very forgiving of this kind of thing (less so than my HE1000). It's a shame as I think the Silver Electra is reasonably priced and in addition to its audio strengths it does wonders for the picture on my plasma tv.

Regarding the brightness of the microRendu, I have been feeling the same since I added the Uptone LPS-1 into the system, although it's a step up from the Meanwell, it feels like adding it moved the balance upward a little bit, the result is more HF and less bass (although tighter) and mid-bass. I have been trying to find ways to fix this by, for instance, replacing the Utopia stock cable with Dana Reference or replacing the LPS-1 with Sonore Signature Power Supply, but not sure where to start. It would be helpful if others can chime in.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #5,898 of 25,821
I wish it was it bit higher or the Dave was
angled different , some of the 1/4 plugs are
a bit tight against the surface

I suspect those who use the Dave with the stand are using it as a DAC for a speaker system...I know myself I am using my Dave with HP's and without a stand on top of my Moon Neo 430....as a result,no issues with cables

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #5,899 of 25,821
Regarding the brightness of the microRendu, I have been feeling the same since I added the Uptone LPS-1 into the system, although it's a step up from the Meanwell, it feels like adding it moved the balance upward a little bit, the result is more HF and less bass (although tighter) and mid-bass. I have been trying to find ways to fix this by, for instance, replacing the Utopia stock cable with Dana Reference or replacing the LPS-1 with Sonore Signature Power Supply, but not sure where to start. It would be helpful if others can chime in.

If you are running with the stock power lead that comes with the LPS-1, I would recommend upgrading to the Sonore DC-4 cable, which, while a little expensive, adds more punch, weight and authority to the sound (still a little bright). As for the Utopia, I've got a DHC Prion coming in a week or so, along with adapters that among other things will allow me to use my HD800-terminated Black Dragon with that headphone. I was thinking about the Dana cable but couldn't make my mind up quickly enough to catch last weekend's discount.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #5,900 of 25,821
I had no issue either till now , one would think this issue would of been
noticed when the stand was be designed. Oh well what
does one expect for a couple grand stand I will figure something out

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #5,901 of 25,821

Two questions,

Did your demo cable got the so-called "CONNECTOR UPGRADE"? This is a serious but not too expensive upgrade which changes the connector to one with "silver-clad copper alloy contacts" (I do not understand why this upgrade is not standard, because it really makes a difference).

Did you have the opportunity to test longer cable lengths? Too short cable lengths can suffer quite a lot from hf and rf distortion (cell phones, WLAN). The theoretical explanation for this should be discussed on another forum and there is a lot to be found about this on many physics sites. For me there is an audible difference between 1m and 2m power cables, especially in harshness and "image". Because of this I normally do not use power cables shorter than 2m. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #5,902 of 25,821
Two questions,

Did your demo cable got the so-called "CONNECTOR UPGRADE"? This is a serious but not too expensive upgrade which changes the connector to one with "silver-clad copper alloy contacts" (I do not understand why this upgrade is not standard, because it really makes a difference).

Did you have the opportunity to test longer cable lengths? Too short cable lengths can suffer quite a lot from hf and rf distortion (cell phones, WLAN). The theoretical explanation for this should be discussed on another forum and there is a lot to be found about this on many physics sites. For me there is an audible difference between 1m and 2m power cables, especially in harshness and "image". Because of this I normally do not use power cables shorter than 2m. 

The cable came with a standard 3-pin UK plug. The length of cable I have, at one meter, is too short. I would need two meters. The UK distributor told me that a two-meter length should sound better but did not elaborate.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #5,903 of 25,821

Can you show a picture of the problem?

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #5,904 of 25,821
The cable came with a standard 3-pin UK plug. The length of cable I have, at one meter, is too short. I would need two meters. The UK distributor told me that a two-meter length should sound better but did not elaborate.

Maybe you can ask the distributor if it is possible to do a home test with the other connector and the 2m length. I think it is worth a try because this could address the brightness issue you were talking about. I truly do recognize your findings about transparency etc. but without the brightness issues. The other connector and especially the longer cable length may be the solution for this.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #5,905 of 25,821

Can you place a 'spacer' of some sort under each 'foot', to raise everything up maybe half an inch?

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #5,906 of 25,821
Maybe you can ask the distributor if it is possible to do a home test with the other connector and the 2m length. I think it is worth a try because this could address the brightness issue you were talking about. I truly do recognize your findings about transparency etc. but without the brightness issues. The other connector and especially the longer cable length may be the solution for this.

Thanks. I'll give it a go. As I said, I found a lot to like about this cable and I want to give it a fair chance. The microRendu is a fussy little so and so.

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #5,907 of 25,821

Can you place a 'spacer' of some sort under each 'foot', to raise everything up maybe half an inch?

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of paying 2500 dollars for a stand for the Dave doesnt it?Particularly since some people maintain the stand provides additional isoloation which would obviously be mitigated by placing something beneath the legs

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #5,909 of 25,821

Are you using the hard USB connector between the microrendu and DAVE? The hardness and brightness disappeared once I replaced that with the short Curious USB recent link cable. Made a huge difference. FYI I am also using the LPS-1.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #5,910 of 25,821
Are you using the hard USB connector between the microrendu and DAVE? The hardness and brightness disappeared once I replaced that with the short Curious USB recent link cable. Made a huge difference. FYI I am also using the LPS-1.

I'm using a 1 meter Audience USB cable, I have learnt from the time when I had Regen that the hard connector sounded much worse than a decent USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back