CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 11, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #5,026 of 25,821
  Hi, I'm back.  I appreciate all the well wishes as I've struggled with some family issues.  As a physician, I deal with advanced disease all day long but when a close family member comes down with advanced cancer, it's never easy.  As her condition has stabilized for the time being, it allowed me to get away to Colorado to attend RMAF over the weekend and I will post findings that may be of interest regarding the DAVE.  During the weekend, it also gave me time to jump back on Head-Fi and catch up on lots of great posts, especially by @paul79.  A very interesting perspective from a respected audiophile and friend.  I will share my own commentary soon.

Regarding RMAF, DAVEand the other Chord DACs were well represented at the CanJam tent.  I got a chance to hang out with Edd and Tom from Chord, really wonderful guys.  They are exploring the Rockies today for the very first time on their only day off.  Hopefully, it's a great adventure.  In the 2-channel speaker section of RMAF, DAVE and TT were well represented in the High Fidelity Cables rooms and DAVE played front and center in the Voxativ room.  More to follow...

Welcome back Roy, my best wishes to your family in these difficult times.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #5,027 of 25,821
Hi, I'm back.  I appreciate all the well wishes as I've struggled with some family issues.  As a physician, I deal with advanced disease all day long but when a close family member comes down with advanced cancer, it's never easy.  As her condition has stabilized for the time being, it allowed me to get away to Colorado to attend RMAF over the weekend and I will post findings that may be of interest regarding the DAVE.  During the weekend, it also gave me time to jump back on Head-Fi and catch up on lots of great posts, especially by @paul79
.  A very interesting perspective from a respected audiophile and friend.  I will share my own commentary soon.

Regarding RMAF, DAVEand the other Chord DACs were well represented at the CanJam tent.  I got a chance to hang out with Edd and Tom from Chord, really wonderful guys.  They are exploring the Rockies today for the very first time on their only day off.  Hopefully, it's a great adventure.  In the 2-channel speaker section of RMAF, DAVE and TT were well represented in the High Fidelity Cables rooms and DAVE played front and center in the Voxativ room.  More to follow...

Glad your back Roy!

Hope your relative going to overcome the cancer, but it is not an easy task!

Bought the Dragonfly Red for the car, and the sound gone from hifi car sound , to competition performance.
Have also tryed out the Mojo, and it is even better in the presentation of depht and layering and positioning, but for the asking price of the Dragonfly Red you get 98% of what the AK 380 SQ in my opinion, because the speakers in the car is not that ultra revolving so that could also be a factor.

Next step will be to try out the DAVE in the car, just as a test:wink:

Real fun that DAVE won the price at the Rocky Mountains!

Wounder if Rob have learned anything from the developing of Davina and the new Blu transport , so it is woth to make an upgrade for the DAVE yet or not?

Just a side note:

Canabis Oil where something i was very skeptic about, but a friend of mine who have emigrated to Thailand got cancer last year, and he do not trust the huge farmacy medicine companies and did not want to take any kemo, so the doctors said he should only live for about 3 month time, and today he have start working and the cancer have reduced to just a small fraction of what it was from the begining, just because of the oil cuts of the nutrition receptors of it.

What is your oppinion of this, can this be an alternative or even a better method maby, or does it got a back side of it?

/ Fredrik

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #5,028 of 25,821
Glad your back Roy!

Hope your relative going to overcome the cancer, but it is not an easy task!

Baught the Dragonfly Red for the car, and the sound gone from hifi , to competition performance, then i tryed the Mojo, and it is even better on depht and layering and positioning, but for the asking price of the Dragonfly Red you get 98% of what the AK 380 SQ in my opinion, because the speakers in the car is not that ultra revolving so that could also be a factor.

Real fun that DAVE won the price at the Rocky mountains!

Wounder if Rob have learned anything from the developing of Davina and the new Blu transport , so it is woth to make an upgrade for the DAVE yet or not?

Just a sidenote:

Canabis Oil where something i was very skeptic about, but a friend of mine who have emigrated to Thailand got cancer last year, and he do not trust the huge farmacy medicine companies and did not want to take any kemo, so the doctors said he should only live for about 3 month, and today he have start working and the cancer have reduced to just a small fraction of what is was from the begining, just because of the oil cuts of the receptors of it.

What is your oppinion of this, can this be an alternative or even a better method maby, or does it got a back side of it?

/ Fredrik

Thanks, Fredrik.  Similar to your experience, I have had patients tell me cannabis oil cured them of their cancer or at least prolong their life but I have no personal experience with it.  When you have a terminal condition and all the standard options are not working, then I don't blame anyone for looking at all of their options.

Like you, I am trying to figure out some way to replace my car's DAC with a Mojo.  Unfortunately, my car's preamp has no analog inputs and so it will require a more significant overhaul.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #5,029 of 25,821
Thanks, Fredrik.  Similar to your experience, I have had patients tell me cannabis oil cured them of their cancer or at least prolong their life but I have no personal experience with it.  When you have a terminal condition and all the standard options are not working, then I don't blame anyone for looking at all of their options.

Like you, I am trying to figure out some way to replace my car's DAC with a Mojo.  Unfortunately, my car's preamp has no analog inputs and so it will require a more significant overhaul.

Have you read any clinical studies of the oil, or does the huge pharmacy companies try to quiet this down, or what is your experience of it?

Yes im very fortuned that i got a analog AUX beside the USB input in my BMW, and i had to reduce the bass from 0db to -2 db gain with the Dragonfly and Mojo, but the mojo is more refined.

In my second BMW M3 i had to install a AUX input ( special BMW data input aux cable), because it did not exist, but luckily the pre amp had the input on the backside of the units canbus cable harness, so check this with Tesla and Audi if they can install this, i think it should be possible.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #5,033 of 25,821
Yes, cannabis is good stuff for a lot of stuff. I suggest that we all try it with DAVE.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah. Not strong enough. Lysergic acid diethylamide is what I recommend

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #5,034 of 25,821
Welcome back, Roy!!

I am so glad to hear things have stabilized.  My mother was diagnosed with cancer (it was small and caught early, she's fine) this year and it is certainly a core shaker.  I wish you and yours nothing but the best.

I've been using the DAVE with the Utopia's and I have to say the pairing is really fantastic.  

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #5,035 of 25,821
Cannabis improve the perception to details and really is a more life like experience. And I say that with any gear. I don't have a DAVE.

Anyway, DAVE is the only high-end DAC that a really like. I would love to listen to it.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #5,036 of 25,821
  Welcome back, Roy!!

I am so glad to hear things have stabilized.  My mother was diagnosed with cancer (it was small and caught early, she's fine) this year and it is certainly a core shaker.  I wish you and yours nothing but the best.

I've been using the DAVE with the Utopia's and I have to say the pairing is really fantastic.  

Thanks, Paul.  Glad to hear your mother's doing well!

I heard the Utopia with the DAVE this weekend and I completely agree.  When you combine its impressive resolution, smooth tonality, comfort, light weight, looks and the fact that it can be driven well by almost anything, if I had to own just one headphone, this could be it.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #5,037 of 25,821

As that with the CT-1 in the DAVE, too, Paul?

I plugged a well broken in CT-1 PC from The Cable Co. into the DAVE today, going from my P300 into a MC-6 power conditioner, and the sound was super fine. A great deal of that harshness from the HD800 to the DAVE pairing was simply wiped away. No joke. All of it done without any coloration at all.

It now makes me wonder what the CT-1 Ultimate would sound like with the DAVE.

The DAVE is simply a thing of beauty.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #5,038 of 25,821
A beautiful pair. The resolution/detail, dynamics, and musicality are strong here.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #5,040 of 25,821
As that with the CT-1 in the DAVE, too, Paul?

I plugged a well broken in CT-1 PC from The Cable Co. into the DAVE today, going from my P300 into a MC-6 power conditioner, and the sound was super fine. A great deal of that harshness from the HD800 to the DAVE pairing was simply wiped away. No joke. All of it done without any coloration at all.

It now makes me wonder what the CT-1 Ultimate would sound like with the DAVE.

The DAVE is simply a thing of beauty.

The MC-0.5, which is a parallel device, has the weakest effect of all HFC's products but it can give you a taste of what this magnetic technology can offer, especially with really bad power.  The CT-1 and MC-6 power conditioner are "in series" devices and obviously result in a greater effect although the impact along with the MC-0.5s are additive.  In my own experience, things didn't get really good until I reached the CT-1 Ultimate.  Unfortunately, their really good stuff is expensive but I have yet to find anything that can do what they can do.  Here's bacon333's review of the CT-1 Ultimate and his DAVE:

https://audiobacon.net/2016/08/02/high-fidelity-ct-1-ultimate-power-cord-and-mc-0-5-review/

Several have commented on the complementary effects of a PS Audio AC Regenerator and HFC products as they work very differently in achieving a similar purpose and so it would appear you are experiencing what other's have.  While the impact of HFC's power products can be significant, in my own system, their signal products are even more impactful.  As you've stated, they add no coloration but they have really brought out the finest qualities of my DAVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back