CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 23, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #3,406 of 25,747
Out of curiosity, what differences have you heard when comparing the Vega and Dave? I'm very familar with the Vega sound so your input on how it compares would mean a lot.

DAVE wins out big time when it comes to improved soundstage, ultra (yet exceedingly musical) detail, instrument timbre, decay and timing. The Vega sounds more hi fi technicolor, kind of like goosing the color, brightness and tint controls on a flat screen at Best Buy. Don't get me wrong, the Vega sounds great but it's a little euphonic to my ears, especially when you compare it to DAVE. DAVE sounds great when setup for DSD but, to my ears, DSD is one area where the Vega might have a slight edge. For PCM the Vega is not even close.

The microRendu BTW makes red book sound closer to (though not generally indistinguishable from) hi res. In my experience this is true with all 3 DACS. Of course, this is IMHO and YMMV.

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #3,407 of 25,747
While I'm certain that Rob could work his usual musical magic in deserving a server to mate with DAVE, he's a man with a lot on his plate and I don't see where that's a priority of his right now.

In the meantime, the microRendu with the Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply works wonders when connected to DAVE and likely any other DAC for that matter. The midbass(particularly separating the sound of one percussion instrument from another) and midrange(particularly as it applies to reproducing the sound of a piano or the human voice) are especially outstanding with the microRendu when connected to DAVE and even lesser DACS(e.g., the Auralc Vega and Geek Pulse Infinty SE in my home). Instrument decay with the microRendu brings the aforementioned DACS even closer to DAVE territory. I'm personally over the moon with the microRendu and DAVE. If you can afford it, a higher end power supply relative to the iFi 9v PS is well worth the money.

That was not an answer to my question from Rob, but yes i have a microRendu on order, just to try it out against my Auralic Aries and my Aurender W20 streamer.

:)

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #3,408 of 25,747
I already had one powering other devices(the Auralic Aries, and the Geek Pulse Infinity SE). I also had an idle iFi 9v power supply sitting around.

My understanding, however, is that the Sonore Signature PS won't put you to sleep LOL!

Hah, definitely not, i thought you purchase this purposely to power up the Rendu. Thanks!

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #3,409 of 25,747
Hah, definitely not, i thought you purchase this purposely to power up the Rendu. Thanks!

I had a brief, cordial exchange with Barrows Worm at the Computer Audiophile forum. Barrows is the co-designer(along with Adrian Lebena) of the Sonore Signature Power Supply. Barrows informs me that the Sonore PS has better regulators than the JS-2 and also that the Sonore PS is designed specifically with only the microRendu in mind. The JS-2, on the other hand, is designed as a multipurpose high end power supply. In short, the JS-2 is great but the Sonore is the gold standard. If you have the funds and you are only looking to power the microRendu then the Sonore is the way to go. The JS-2 sells for 999 USD and the Sonore sells for 1399 USD(1589 with Synergistic Research fuses). HTH.

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3,410 of 25,747
For us living in Europe the MCRU power supply for the mRendu and maybe the SBooster (they are to come with a 7,5V power supply sson) may be alternatives to the US high price power supplies.

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #3,411 of 25,747
For those in the states looking to buy a DAVE. You could get a large discount if Brexit pass later this month. The Pound can fall to 1.2 from the current 1.45

Paul

The Brits voted and the #Brexit folks won, to leave the EU.

Overnight, the Pound fell to as low as 1.32 to the US Dollar.  That means for you guys waiting to get a DAVE, it's 12% cheaper than a day ago.  Some view the Pound will continue to fall from here.

For those in Japan waiting to get a DAVE, even better news for you.  The YEN vs Pound is even stronger.

Paul

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #3,412 of 25,747

For those in the states looking to buy a DAVE. You could get a large discount if Brexit pass later this month. The Pound can fall to 1.2 from the current 1.45

Paul

The Brits voted and the #Brexit folks won, to leave the EU.

Overnight, the Pound fell to as low as 1.32 to the US Dollar.  That means for you guys waiting to get a DAVE, it's 12% cheaper than a day ago.  Some view the Pound will continue to fall from here.

For those in Japan waiting to get a DAVE, even better news for you.  The YEN vs Pound is even stronger.

Paul

You were right, and I was wrong
beerchug.gif

As a Brit, I am disappointed that so many of my fellow countrymen/women are evidently unable to see the bigger picture, but, at this point in time, it is what it is, and good luck to all of you looking to obtain a DAVE, cheaper.

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #3,414 of 25,747
  I wonder if products from the UK will go up actually.. Interesting..

It could but over the short term, probably unlikely.

I remembered in the 80s when the Yen fall to 250 and most electronics toys were actually being marked down. I bought a Nakamichi Dragon during the summer of 1985 while vacationing in Akihabara, Tokyo.
I was planning to visit Japan in August.  Now I am really eager to go.

Paul

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,415 of 25,747
You were right, and I was wrong :beerchug:

As a Brit, I am disappointed that so many of my fellow countrymen/women are evidently unable to see the bigger picture, but, at this point in time, it is what it is, and good luck to all of you looking to obtain a DAVE, cheaper.
As a Brit,I think most of my fellow countrymen/women DID see the big picture.I wish all of you good luck in getting a cheaper Dave,but be quick,because it won't be long before the pound back up.

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #3,416 of 25,747

You were right, and I was wrong
beerchug.gif

Lol, we were all surprised.
I did not hedge for the Brexit risk either.  The FTSE100 did rally hard after the -10% open and closed only 3% lower.
The Pound did not recover much, if any.  I wonder what this will do to your economy.

Yeah, I do hope the DAVE remains at $16,600 USD and folks here in the US can buy it cheaper due to the weaker Pound.  Great for those who waited.

paul

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3,417 of 25,747
As a Brit,I think most of my fellow countrymen/women DID see the big picture.I wish all of you good luck in getting a cheaper Dave,but be quick,because it won't be long before the pound back up.

Yes, the pound's pounding may be short termed.  Crazy forecasts that we will get to 1.15 or 1.20 GBP/USD may never happen.
Better get the 12% off a DAVE now in the US or 18% off a DAVE in Japan now.

paul

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #3,419 of 25,747
I was talking to my local dealer. He guessed it almost depends on how much stock the distributor already paid for. It would be unlikely that the distributor would discount the existing stock until they're all sold to the dealer. After that, I guess the distributor could lower the MSRP for Canada and US. Of course, that doesn't stop the dealers from discounting but they would be the ones lowering their profit margins, not the distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #3,420 of 25,747
Don't forget the +- 20% import duty and customs processing fee I would have to pay as a citizen of the EU now that the U.K. leaves the EU. More than balances out the drop in the Pound - Euro exchange rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back