1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875
877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886
Next

Last
  1. Deano1974
    Can't wait I'm so excited and jealous of all you owners that have it already lol

I'm not a headphone user so I will be using the Dave via a preamp to drive my mono blocks or will drive the amps direct from the Dave as I have heard the preamp on the Dave is exceptionally good

Looking forward to experiencing both options

Aslshark likes this.
  2. odessamarin
    tenor.gif

Aslshark and Deano1974 like this.
  3. Deano1974
    Thank you, thank you!

4. odessamarin
    ... we wait for your impression feedback!

5. Deano1974
    giphy.gif Shocked.gif source.gif
    Yes and yes, I will post as soon as she lands and definitely as soon as she is powered up and listened to for the first hour lol

I'm sure my response will be

What, OMG, LOL

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  6. Triode User
    Try Dave solo into the monos and also try with a preamp. I very quickly ditched my preamp and use Dave for preamp duties except for when I had valve (tube) monos and then the preamp was my better option and not just for the character of the sound.

7. hifipassion
    Sorry to intervene :)
    Are you listening to a Dave from a Raspberry PI ? :cold_sweat:

8. odessamarin
    .. Allo DigiOne Signature - Raspberry PI - Volumio
    https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione-signature-player.html
    and it's sound good! very good :wink:

Dave is right DAC and it's need right numbers (source) to covert..

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  9. Deano1974
    So theres the quandary as I run tube valve mono blocks

10. Triode User
    I have had three different makes of tube monoblocs and all were the same that they were better with Dave at DAC output voltage and using the preamp for volume. I tried active preamps and music first transformer volume controls with the same result. The Music First transformer volume control got the closest to not affecting the transparency of Dave.

However with all solid state power amps I much prefer Dave direct.

11. ecwl
    You really won’t know how compatible DAVE will be with your specific valve mono blocks until you get it. My gut feeling is that it’ll be fine. My dealer hooks DAVE up to all sort of amps and it always sounds great and shows off the amps.

12. Deano1974
    Agreed, the proof will be in the pudding as they say, im super excited

13. Deano1974
    I run a LDR Passive pre amp which is extremely transparent, so it will be a matter of testing which will be easy enough to do, counting down the days woo hoo

14. musickid
    Can hugo2/mscaler owners be granted associate or junior membership of the dave owners club?? After all the h2/hms combo is reported to display more important musical qualities than a solo (but not) mscaled dave.:relieved::relaxed:

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  15. Triode User
    The ldr passive may not achieve the same success as I have experienced with a Transformer Volume Control or an active pre from Dave to tube power amps so it will be interesting to see how you get on. It is not the transparency of the pre which is the important thing here per se, I have concluded it is in the way the TVC and active pre can ‘drive’ the tube power amp in the same way that both of these types of pre are good for long runs of interconnect.

For instance I got a better quality of sound with say Dave at 0dB and the TVC at -35dB than I did with the Dave at -35dB and the TVC at 0dB.

Edit. Just to clarify, this is NOT a Chord DAC thing, I have noticed it with other DACs used going direct into tube power amps (but never into any solid state amps). Obviously the usual IMHO and YMMV apply.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
First

Back
866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875
877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886
Next

Last