1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861
863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872
Next

Last
  1. Whazzzup
    Antipodes audio DX running roon is excellent.

ZappaMan and Amberlamps like this.
  2. naynay
    Thank you for those two previous recommendations either one looks suitable for what i'm needing so will look into further.
    Looking at John Darko's latest video on Dave when unboxing it, inside he shows a Chord Dave Manual should there be one included as there was not one with mine?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. musickid
    Good to hear whazzzup. i never would have guessed.:nerd:

ZappaMan likes this.
  4. Mikey99
    I got a manual with mine. Nothing to write home about, it is simply the on-line manual printed out and inserted into a binder.

5. maxh22
    What setup are you using for your kitchen? My Chromecast is outputting optical to some nice Samsung speakers but the amp that's built into the sub has some weird volume fluctuations from time to time so I may end up replacing them soon.

6. Triode User
    Well, until today, the chromecast was outputting optical to an RME dac and then into an oldish Musical Fidelity X-A2 amp and then into some Dali 104 speakers that I rebuilt with new drivers and crossovers of my design.

As of today however the chromecast is going via optical into a TT2 which is driving the same speakers direct (ie no amp).

lcasadonte and maxh22 like this.
  7. draytonklammer
    Anyone know how a Chord Dave would compare to a McIntosh C47?

Considering selling my Dave to pickup a McIntosh MC302 and C47 for my Focal Aria 936's.
    Might sell my Abyss, too.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. musickid
    Wasn't it quite recently you picked up a used dave and had nothing but praise for it?

9. draytonklammer
    It depends how you define recently. It has been about a year.
    It's a great DAC, but I feel as though it would be a lot more relevant to a headphone than a pair of speakers in terms of that last percentage of details.
    Not to mention, this would allow me to balance out my speaker setup more.
    I could see more value out of driving them properly with a lesser DAC, as compared to running them with the Dave and an Emotiva amp.

10. musickid
    Best of luck. Each of us is somehow following some kind of personal quest otherwise i don't even think we'd be here.

11. miketlse
    I can direct drive my 936 with a Hugo 2.
    Have you tried direct driving with the DAVE?

12. jlbrach
    nobody here is as fickle as you lol....

13. draytonklammer
    I haven't tried that, but it's very tempting to give it a go this afternoon.

I was under the impression that this was not a particularly good idea, or not enough power, albeit Focal speakers are decently efficient.

Yeah, god forbid I want to try anything, right?
    Super audio seems to think the same. Nothing like defamation of character over trying to experience more than one item in a hobby. At least I am Google famous now!

The same could be said as to how I settled on my current setup. Buying/selling and eventually settling on the Abyss and Dave for awhile.

At the end of the day, I would also like to state that this change also affects others in my family positively. We really enjoy listening to music together and this is much more simple than doing so with multiple pairs of high end headphones and separate amplifiers for each pair of headphones to ensure multiple optimal levels of volume.

I would disagree in terms of generalizing me as unstable for a number of other reasons, but this seems like plenty of response time to your statement.

bidn likes this.
  14. jarnopp
    Maybe consider the Chord TT2 and have the best (or very close) of both - it will drive headphones and speakers, and is about in line with the C47, and you could sell Dave and Emotive (which is likely limiting you with speakers anyway).

15. draytonklammer

I've been looking at bit into the Chord TT2, but at that point I might as well either commit to the full McIntosh setup, or keep the Dave and find a good power amplifier or mono power amplifiers for these. Just trying to think of ways not to cost myself much more financially, which is why selling the Dave came up to fund a more balanced speaker system.

Maybe I'll put the money I get from selling the Abyss eventually into a nice amplifier instead.

This is all around a year off still anyways, but I like to make sure I have a plan.

First

Back
852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861
863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872
Next

Last