1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817
819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828
Next

Last
  1. tunes
    I am hoping this issue will be resolved with my HUGO M scaler on order since the BNC inputs are used on the DAVE and the optical inputs used on the M scaler from my source. If the same female optical jacks are used as the HUGO2 for the M scaler, then my search for a proper fitting optical TOSLINK cable is over. On the other hand I am not sure with the M scaler if there will be any perceived difference in SQ between feeding it 16/44.1 versus 24/192 resolution FLAC data files and can forget about buying more expensive Hi Res digital downloads. Now the issue will be what dual BNC cables will be best for the M scaler without breaking the bank.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. Triode User
    On the basis that the MScaler and Blu2 are the same in the way they handle files I do find with Blu2 that is is worthwhile purchasing hires files as long as they are not just upsampled versions of the 44.1 files.

I am waiting for my Hugo MScaler before deciding if cables make any difference. I will post any conclusions.

3. Crgreen
    Other than through reports, it’s impossible to know beforehand if a file has just been upsampled from Red Book. Nowadays however, pretty much all recordings are made in hi-res, so although there might be downsampling from 192 to 96, it’s unlikely that they’ll be upsampled. Some recordings are 44.1/24, but that counts as hi-res.

I suspect the issue over phony hi-res files has now largely died out, and was restricted to older recordings where there was only a Red Book master, or they didn’t bother remastering from an analogue tape, an expensive business. Anecdotally, I’ve not read about any instances recently, though I don’t keep an eye open for such things.

4. doraymon
    Sorry for the late reply.
    I use the optical out of a MacBook Pro late 2013

flyte3333 likes this.
  5. iDesign
    You will need to search these part numbers using Google to find a reseller. These are the correct cables supplied with the DAVE as of 8/2018:

Toslink: PSG00881
    Power: PLUG:EL-701A
    USB: Kenable USB 2.0 High Speed

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. tunes
    I am now happy to report and retract all of my prior distain for either CHORD or Sysconcepts that the problem has been remidied. It appears that I neglected to push the male connector all the way in to the DAVE’S TOSLINK receptical. I thought it was seated when I tried x 2 with different cables but now it works fine and the DAVE display goes red to blue and indicates 192 playback. No pops or clicks just pure music. Thanks everyone for Listening to my rant and making suggestions. The simplest solution was just to push a bit harder.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  7. AndrewOld
    OK fellow DAVE owners, how would you like to offer me some advice ... I’d like a pair of headphones, what should I put on my shortlist? I’ve currently got some HD650s but hardly ever listen to them. My taste in music is mostly classical, some jazz, and it is imperative that I get a natural, unhyped, uncoloured, rich solid sound on orchestral, choral and chamber music. The two models that I currently am interested in are the Focal Clears and Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open. Care to share any insights on either of these, and or suggest alternatives? Remember it’s classical music I like, and I go to live concerts at least once a week so I know what the real thing sounds like. I am definitely not interested in boom and tizz space and air hyped up hi-fi.

8. Triode User
    Brilliant. I'm glad you are sorted.

That is why I said "pushed home into the Dave socket until it clicks into place".

Well done for owning up!! :smiley:

9. iDesign
    The irony is that countless classical recording engineers I know like Stephan Flock and producers like Sid McLauchlan use the Sennheiser HD 580, HD 600 and HD 650. I know Hilary Hahn even has the HD 650 for her home use. I still feel the HD 600/650 are the single most important headphones to own for any classical recording professional or listener. Over the years I have owned virtually every conceivable alternative to HD 650 and only one remains. The HD 650 is wonderful with the DAVE.

[​IMG]

AndrewOld likes this.
  10. ecwl
    I own the HD650, Aeon Flow Closed and Focal Utopia. My local dealer recently brought in the Focal Clear and I’ve also listened to the Aeon Flow Open. 90% of what I listen to is classical music. Hmmm. This is a complete no brainer. Focal Clear hands down if you want to splurge. If not, Aeon Flow Open will still be a significant upgrade.

11. GryphonGuy
    I've never regretted waiting a good 6 months or more until a canjam meeting to try out the Focal Utopia headphones with DAVE before purchasing. I also owned HD650 but sadly they sit back in their box and Focal Utopia is simply bliss on my DAVE. So transparent, you will hear every change you make to your source chain but when your source chain is right, the subtlety of a triangle and the forceful tympany struck together can be heard. Clarity, accurate timbre and involvement are words that spring to mind when listening to the Utopia plugged into DAVE.

Regards
    GG

Aslshark, xxx1313 and AndrewOld like this.
  12. SCBob
    I agree with GryphonGuy's impressions about Focal Utopia and DAVE. Almost all of my listening is classical and jazz and this combination has been incredibly accurate, musical and revealing. My prior top headphone was an HD800, which I still own, and the Utopia is so much better, at least for me. With used Utopias now available at significant savings over new I would put these at the top of my list.

AndrewOld likes this.
  13. smodtactical
    Has anyone with a DAVE compared it to the Denafrips terminator? This guy below who has heard many dacs ranked it above the DAVE.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/show...-comparison-test-result-My-Subjective-Opinion

14. timeslip
    Why the Focal Clear over the Utopia?

15. hieukm
    smodtactical likes this.
First

Back
808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817
819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828
Next

Last