1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816
818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827
Next

Last
  1. Triode User
    deleted

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  2. tunes
    I have now confirmed that using a DAP Questyle QPR1 as a digital source that neither KabelDirekt nor Sysconcepts plastic fiber cable works with DAVE for 192/24 but both cables work perfectly with HUGO2. So my conclusion is that the Toslink receptical on the DAVE is either less sensitive than on th HUGO2 or there is simply a mechanical issue getting the transmitted light deeper into DAVE’s receptacle. Has anyone been able to modify the Toslink cable insertion plug to seat deeper into the DAVE with success?

3. Triode User
    I don't know if you can see on the attached photo but on the left connector I unscrewed the cap a bit, maybe 5mm, and then cut off the exposed threaded plastic which means the actual optical connector can be pushed home into the Dave socket until it clicks in place. The connector on the right is unaltered.

IMG_6087.jpg

4. tunes
    Did that mod fix the issue permanently?
    What cable is it? Glass or plastic fiber?
    Thanks

5. Triode User
  6. darkless
  7. iDesign
    The original Toslink cables supplied with the DAVE are readily available in different lengths from Farnell or Newark.
    I agree with Rob Watts that sometimes audiophile cables induce more RF noise and some are poorly constructed since they are assembled by hobbyists and small companies that don’t have the resources/access to more advanced construction methods.

8. Crgreen
    And of the 110 items listed at Farnells, which is the one Chord supplies with the Dave?

9. Triode User
    I wondered if anyone else had noticed that.

10. iDesign
    The cables are from Pro-Signal and you can select any length you need. Chord includes the PSG00881 with the DAVE. I suspect Chord sources their cables from Farnell because the exact DAVE, Hugo, Hugo2, Hugo TT, Hugo TT2, and Mojo cables are all available in bulk there.
    https://www.newark.com/mcm/psg00881/3-toslink-optical-cable/dp/64T7399?st=prosignal toslink

masterpfa likes this.
  11. Crgreen
    Just to be clear, do you mean this one, with 2.2mm OD (presumably outer diameter) rather than 4mm?

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03967/lead-toslink-plug-to-plug-2-2mm/dp/AV25273

12. iDesign
  13. Crgreen
    Okay thanks. That cable has a 4mm outside diameter, which I think might be the one used by most Toslink cables. There is however, a 2.2mm diameter termination, which might be the input fitting used on the Dave, but not other Chord DACs. That would explain why 4mm terminations do not fit snugly into the Dave, and need to be trimmed back in order to do so.

Very kindly, Chord are sending me a further Toslink cable for the Dave for my second optical connection, so I’ll do a quick compare when it arrives, and report back.

14. Jozurr
    Do you have links to all the other cables supplied with the DAVE?

15. iDesign
    Hi @Jozurr, I will have to look up all the listings again and cross reference them with the cables that shipped with my DAVE. I ended up buying another brand new DAVE so its easy enough to do since its probably the newest DAVE Blue Bird Shipped to date and everything is still in the box. I'll send it to you via Private Message.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
First

Back
807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816
818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827
Next

Last