CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 8, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #11,146 of 25,821
If a mains powered computer is connected to a dac by optical and using a heavy graphics application like roon would this connection also shield the dac from any noisy processing within the computer? So i'm trying to establish the level of isolation provided by optical.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #11,149 of 25,821
In my testing TT always ran on batteries. I did the comparison using the Edition X as the primary headphone but also tested with Nighthawks, HD 800S, and IE 80S, each of them reacted exactly the same, sounding more relaxed yet no less detailed..
Well that's interesting as it appears that this could only be jitter that is upsetting TT.

Thanks! Jawed thinks so....read his posts☺
Well maxh22's test indicates that there is still a sound quality issue with optical, at least with Hugo TT.

Is it jitter? Is it a side-effect of jitter (what people call signal integrity, I think)?

Now playing: Footy - Helicopter Sunset

May 9, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #11,150 of 25,821
Well that's interesting as it appears that this could only be jitter that is upsetting TT.

Well maxh22's test indicates that there is still a sound quality issue with optical, at least with Hugo TT.

Is it jitter? Is it a side-effect of jitter (what people call signal integrity, I think)?

Now playing: Footy - Helicopter Sunset

I want to mention another thing I found interesting. When I was streaming Tidal I noticed the sound is a little warmer than how I remember it prior to the SD card, so just for kicks I decided to pop the SD card out after pausing the track I was playing and immediately noticed how the the same track sounded slightly brighter, just like if I had my mouse and keyboard plugged in. Popping it in once again slightly calmed down the sound. My theory is that the SD card slot lets in some extra RF noise, thus spicing up the sound.

I also tested it with a dull placement SD card inserted and got the same results as my standard card. I have not tested this with local files yet so its possible that just having a card inserted played a part in the sound quality differences I posted before...

May 10, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #11,151 of 25,821
M2yZmLN.png

pzjlNaw.png

The multi-award winning Chord Electronics Choral family of products has never sounded so good. Welcome Étude to the table, a 150w Class A stereo power amplifier featuring the first fundamentally new typology since Chord Electronics' inception in 1989, using highly advanced technologies seen within the aerospace industry.

6i1XEk7.jpg

The Choral Étude has been designed to both compliment and exploit the full potential of the multi-award winning DAVE DAC, which has preamp functionality, and the brand new topology has even faster power delivery than exiting designs, offering unrivalled dynamics, life-like delivery of transient information, plus effortless control over loudspeaker drive units.

JsZcwKM.jpg

7ywVamz.jpg

The design for Étude is based upon multi-feedback and dual feed-forward error-correction amplifier technology that intelligently adjusts and compensates the individual linearity of the 250-watt lateral structure high-power proprietary MOSFETs. Internally there are three individual high frequency switch mode power supply units, one for each active power rail and a final for the auxiliary rails. When paired with advanced internal shielding, active cooled plenum chamber design, and custom Chord Electronics MOSFETs, you have Étude, an world class extremely fast crystal clear amplifier.

Although the amplifier is conservatively rated at 150W into 4Ω, if you run Étude in bridged mono mode you can increase this to 300W.

CtMUtk0.jpg

AVAILABLE: AUTUMN 2018

UK RRP: £3,900.00

LEARN MORE: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/etude/

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #11,152 of 25,821
A couple of weeks with my new Dave and I'd like to comment on the pairing with the Focal Clear.
Spectacular transparency and overall very realistic but somehow, sometimes it makes feel I'm missing a bit of bass presence.
I'd like to try the Utopia and Abyss 1266.

May 11, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #11,153 of 25,821
A couple of weeks with my new Dave and I'd like to comment on the pairing with the Focal Clear.
Spectacular transparency and overall very realistic but somehow, sometimes it makes feel I'm missing a bit of bass presence.
I'd like to try the Utopia and Abyss 1266.

Try Hifiman headphones as well. My Dave+Susvara is a great combination and I bet that the HE1000 v2 is a great pairing as well (I heard 1000 v2 briefly).

May 11, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #11,154 of 25,821
I will say this clearly...i dont no what jawed is about???? I tried the optical on my computer to dave...and scrathed my head...is this right..payed good money for this????then i hooked up iso regen and lps-1 and i go what the fu...???? Now i did understand why i payed so much for dave exelent sound!!!!! So i guess my computer is very noisy?????sorry my english

May 11, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #11,155 of 25,821
I still feel that the utopias (with DAVE) lack in the bass presence. They are very clear and articulate, but the 1266 just has more of the low end.

It all depends on your personal preference. The utopias are far more comfortable and just outstanding build quality.

The 1266 don't fit as well, are heavier, and really should be considered ear speakers. The sound is remarkable. I'm on the list for the phi upgrade. Should make them more efficient and perhaps slight dynamics improvement.

I run DAVE through my wells audio headtrip amp ans it had been a true pleasure to listen to them.

Can't comment on susvara 1000V2 but I'd imagine thats a great pairing as well.

May 11, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #11,157 of 25,821
I still feel that the utopias (with DAVE) lack in the bass presence. They are very clear and articulate, but the 1266 just has more of the low end.

It all depends on your personal preference. The utopias are far more comfortable and just outstanding build quality.

The 1266 don't fit as well, are heavier, and really should be considered ear speakers. The sound is remarkable. I'm on the list for the phi upgrade. Should make them more efficient and perhaps slight dynamics improvement.

I run DAVE through my wells audio headtrip amp ans it had been a true pleasure to listen to them.

Can't comment on susvara 1000V2 but I'd imagine thats a great pairing as well.
Utopias are exellent with dave!!!

May 11, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #11,160 of 25,821
Dave does not have the power for susvara!!!!

You are right but Dave+Susvara sounds really good anyway. I finally bought iFi Pro iCan for Susvara but the Dave+Susvara combo was pretty great as well! So it is worth to try HE1000 v2 and Susvara to get an idea and choose the best for your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back