CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 30, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #3,828 of 25,821
Jul 30, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #3,829 of 25,821
Now this is my biased veiw point but I feel It's a rather interesting display an absence of knowledge of how much a truly high technology product costs to design and manufacture, but there again I only have the actual facts and figures to go on.

You have taken offence at the single paragraph where he discusses his view about value for money.

The rest of the review is devoted to him saying how wonderful DAVE is from a technical point of view.

Yes you know the actual facts and figures, but all manufacturers of any product, succeed according to the value that each potential customer places on their product. As long as freedom of speech exists, he is allowed to express his opinion, whether that opinion is correct or not.  

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #3,830 of 25,821
You have taken offence at the single paragraph where he discusses his view about value for money.

The rest of the review is devoted to him saying how wonderful DAVE is from a technical point of view.

Yes you know the actual facts and figures, but all manufacturers of any product, succeed according to the value that each potential customer places on their product. As long as freedom of speech exists, he is allowed to express his opinion, whether that opinion is correct or not.  
It is only your opinion that I had taken offence. In fact I had not. I'd only expressed my opinion that his view was without the necessary knowledge of the facts. If he cares to contact me privately I'll be happy to furnish him with the actual costs of manufacture and the reasons behind those costs. However I think that it was John Ruskin that once said
"It's unwise to pay too much but it's worse to pay too little.
For when you pay too much - you may loose a little money, but if you pay too little, you may loose everything. Because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was meant to do! The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It cannot be done" I think he was right Dave is priced as carefully and modestly as was possible for a product of its high level of performance.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,831 of 25,821
It is only your opinion that I had taken offence. In fact I had not. I'd only expressed my opinion that his view was without the necessary knowledge of the facts. If he cares to contact me privately I'll be happy to furnish him with the actual costs of manufacture and the reasons behind those costs. However I think that it was John Ruskin that once said
"It's unwise to pay too much but it's worse to pay too little.
For when you pay too much - you may loose a little money, but if you pay too little, you may loose everything. Because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was meant to do! The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It cannot be done" I think he was right Dave priced as carefully and modestly as was possible for a product of its high level of performance.

I gained the impression that you had taken offence, but my impression was obviously wrong, so I apologise for that.

I made no comment no personal comment as to the value of DAVE.

I am a believer in Voltaires belief "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", so I just defended Currawongs right to have an opinion as to the value of DAVE, irrespective of whether his opinion is right or wrong. 

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #3,832 of 25,821
I gained the impression that you had taken offence, but my impression was obviously wrong, so I apologise for that.
I made no comment no personal comment as to the value of DAVE.

I am a believer in Voltaires belief [COLOR=252525]"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", so [/COLOR]I just defended Currawongs right to have an opinion as to the value of DAVE, irrespective of whether his opinion is right or wrong. 
Yes I'm please you feel that way it was just his opinion. However W Edward Deming of the intelligence project said " Without data its just an opinion"

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #3,834 of 25,821

There is a new review of the DAVE dac posted today http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-dave/reviews/16526

@Currawong
 does allow his passion for music and hifi to be displayed.

Now this is my biased veiw point but I feel It's a rather interesting display an absence of knowledge of how much a truly high technology product costs to design and manufacture, but there again I only have the actual facts and figures to go on.

I totally understand why you feel the way you do. The consumer has no idea what it costs to produce products, they have no idea of the blood, sweat and tears that goes into the design and implementation, let alone that Rob spent almost 3 decades working on the tech, but only sees the value in what they get from a product, and as much as that simply sucks, it was from that perspective. I think you have forgotten what I'd written above about how immediately after I started listening, I contemplated the possibility of whether I could somehow sell enough of my existing system to buy the DAVE, and the comment about the vastly greater value you've brought Head-Fi compared to a decade ago when a dodgy guy was screwing the covers on his $14k tube amp so tight nobody could undo them to hide two giant wall-warts that were the PSU.  Something I didn't add, but possibly should have, is that I appreciate that you guys haven't gone the way of some companies artificially inflating the price of your products for the now insane 2-channel market.

These days, some people are offended that $4000 headphones exist. That too, ignores that years of R&D went into them as well. For them, a $15k product is beyond insane. From one perspective, I can say that spending $20k (DAVE + headphones) is crazy, as I could buy a car for that here. On the other hand, the years of pleasure I'd get from the system would make it worth it. There is no wrong answer, but both perspectives exist among people here. 
smile.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,836 of 25,821
I don't understand why people think DAVE is expensive. Compared to MSB, dcs, EMM or TotalDAC. It is a bargain because DAVE beats them all comprehensively.

I have owned above mentioned DACs before. I always change DAC and never find them satisfactory until I got DAVE. DAVE is simply the best DAC I have ever owned and my search of DAC stopped at DAVE.

To be honest, I think Chord has mispriced DAVE too cheaply. It is too cheap that potential buyers of ultra expensive DACs do not take DAVE seriously because they think quality is directly proportional to price. I would still buy DAVE if it is twice the price. DAVE is simply that good.

Count ourselves very lucky that we can buy the best DAC on the planet so cheaply.

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #3,837 of 25,821
I don't understand why people think DAVE is expensive. Compared to MSB, dcs, EMM or TotalDAC. It is a bargain because DAVE beats them all comprehensively.

I have owned above mentioned DACs before. I always change DAC and never find them satisfactory until I got DAVE. DAVE is simply the best DAC I have ever owned and my search of DAC stopped at DAVE.

To be honest, I think Chord has mispriced DAVE too cheaply. It is too cheap that potential buyers of ultra expensive DACs do not take DAVE seriously because they think quality is directly proportional to price. I would still buy DAVE if it is twice the price. DAVE is simply that good.

Count ourselves very lucky that we can buy the best DAC on the planet so cheaply.

Nice first post! I agree! :D

Welcome to Head Fi!! :)

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #3,838 of 25,821

Even though I cannot  currently afford DAVE, I agree:

www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/2460#post_12498049
www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/1680#post_12350702]

...but that's not a dig at Currawong - I'm confident he didn't intend his remarks about price in a specifically negative manner.

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #3,839 of 25,821
Mr. Franks, I notice the Grados as your icon photo. Is that a PS1000(e or otherwise)? I don't know the reason you chose it, but it happens to be my one of my 2 favorite headphones with my Hugo TT. [I have the e version.] Thank you.

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #3,840 of 25,821
I changed that line slightly to better reflect what I was trying to say, so instead of "seems poor value" I now have "seems expensive relative to what else is available". My point was certainly not saying it was poor value, but that people often don't appreciate what it is possible to do these days. Maybe I should have added a bit more about what Rob Watts has put in to its creation, but pretty much everything I wrote was stream-of-consciousness, and I like to be succinct otherwise. 

Compared to my childhood, we are truly living in the future with amazing tech and discover and have access to things that otherwise we might have only encountered by chance prior to the days of the internet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back