CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 23, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #3,766 of 25,821
  Using another galvanic isolator won't help and will probably make things worse. No doubt other companies will offer "no compromise" USB solutions, but don't believe it. 

Frankly I think you are worrying too much; 99% of the RF noise problem is removed currently by Dave; it is just the last 1% where one would want to remove the power to the source. And a single jitter-bug gets you too 99.75%. If you go with optical, you for sure will eliminate all RF; but its not quite as good as the USB, as this has zero jitter/timing issues as the clock comes from Dave. Before galvanic isolation, optical was so much better than USB. Detail resolution and flow is slightly better than optical.

I am listening to Dave now, and its a powered lap-top (and I have just realised I have not even put the jitter bug in), and I have been enjoying music like I have never before. I was listening to Jacqueline Du Pre Elgar this morning, and heard things I have never heard before and thought that 1965 recording just sounds stunning.

So don't worry, just keep enjoying the music!

Rob 

Since I can be also a dreamer sometimes , please Rob do you have any plans to integrate inside Dave a digital player in future?
Going further adding NAS access not only with electrical RJ45 access but  also with multimode 850nm fiber one (tackling. the 0.001 RF issue)...
I fully admit that it is quite soon for writting letters to Santa Claus.
Rgds

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #3,767 of 25,821

Since I can be also a dreamer sometimes , please Rob do you have any plans to integrate inside Dave a digital player in future?
Going further adding NAS access not only with electrical RJ45 access but  also with multimode 850nm fiber one (tackling. the 0.001 RF issue)...
I fully admit that it is quite soon for writting letters to Santa Claus.
Rgds

Given the number of products already in the Chord pipeline, that need to be tested and rolled out, I suspect that you don't need to write your letter until 2018 Q4 at the earliest - so plenty of time to put your dreams down on paper.

Given the number of albums being remixed into a 5.1 format, I think it would be nice to have a digital player that could take a 5.1 input (hdmi or dsd or whatever), split it into the individual channel streams, and then internally feed them through an array of Chord PFGAs, and output the analogue signals, ready to be externally routed to power amps. So very similar to a small AV receiver, but using chord technology.
Maybe it is already possible to DIY generate the individual channel streams, and then feed them to an array of 3 Mojos (as a proof of concept) - but an all-in-one chord box would be interesting. - I suspect that i don't need to write my santa note until 2020 at the earliest.
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #3,768 of 25,821
Given the number of products already in the Chord pipeline, that need to be tested and rolled out, I suspect that you don't need to write your letter until 2018 Q4 at the earliest - so plenty of time to put your dreams down on paper.

Given the number of albums being remixed into a 5.1 format, I think it would be nice to have a digital player that could take a 5.1 input (hdmi or dsd or whatever), split it into the individual channel streams, and then internally feed them through an array of Chord PFGAs, and output the analogue signals, ready to be externally routed to power amps. So very similar to a small AV receiver, but using chord technology.
Maybe it is already possible to DIY generate the individual channel streams, and then feed them to an array of 3 Mojos (as a proof of concept) - but an all-in-one chord box would be interesting. - I suspect that i don't need to write my santa note until 2020 at the earliest. :D  

By the Chord Dave's price tag, adding a few AV receiver chips wouldn't hurt, either....like DTS/AC3/etc. decoders with the already-robust DACs.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #3,769 of 25,821

Maybe it is already possible to DIY generate the individual channel streams, and then feed them to an array of 3 Mojos (as a proof of concept) - but an all-in-one chord box would be interesting. - I suspect that i don't need to write my santa note until 2020 at the earliest.
biggrin.gif

Since my purpose was neither to afraid Santa Claus nor make competitors afraid of him, like a nice kid I will patiently wait and every year have a look under Chrstmas' tree.
wink_face.gif

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #3,770 of 25,821
  The MC-6 Hemisphere is different because the difference it has made has indeed been significant with my DAVE and everything else, even with my dedicated circuit.  It is not a remedy if your mains line suffers from wide voltage fluctuations nor is it a fix for ground loops.  For those things, you might need to still consider an AC regenerator or isolation transformer and of course, these things can all be combined.  I cannot fully explain the science behind this magnetic conduction technology and as always, YMMV, but like the Audience was with my TotalDac system, I consider my HFC gear mandatory with my DAVE.

Once you had the MC-6 installed, did adding extra MC-0.5 waveguides still further improve the sound?
If so, that would be a shame IMO, as the MC-6 should really have all that and more already built in.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #3,771 of 25,821
Rob Watts, it's interesting to read your advice on optimising sound quality for Dave by running laptop on batteries. What are your thoughts about a wired ethernet connection vs wireless connection. Which do you think would give best sound quality and introduce the least noise to the laptop? Would it be best to use an ethernet cable from laptop to router or have nothing physically connected and just use laptop wireless connection? Thanks.

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #3,773 of 25,821
Can someone shed light on what specifically is different in the design of the Hugo and Hugo TT that make them so much more polarizing than the Mojo and DAVE? 

Price?

Mojo, I would guess, sells to a lot of people who won't contemplate Hugo as it's too expensive? Perhaps mostly these are people who haven't spent time with high-end audio? It appears to have no meaningful competition at its price.

Hugo and TT are in the most competitive region. People who think they know what hi-fi is supposed to do have an opinion. People who either do or don't get the sound.

DAVE sells to people who don't care how much it costs. DAVE sounds like it was built for an unlimited budget (I think we can safely say that Rob's decades of craft correspond with an unlimited budget :p ). I think there's only one person who has posted to this thread that they contemplated DAVE and bought something else or just didn't buy. I'm excluding people who won't spend that much (I'm excluding myself for the time being). It appears to have no meaningful competition at any price.

Anyone keeping track of the DAVE refuseniks?

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,774 of 25,821
Price?

Mojo, I would guess, sells to a lot of people who won't contemplate Hugo as it's too expensive? Perhaps mostly these are people who haven't spent time with high-end audio? It appears to have no meaningful competition at its price.

Hugo and TT are in the most competitive region. People who think they know what hi-fi is supposed to do have an opinion. People who either do or don't get the sound.

DAVE sells to people who don't care how much it costs. DAVE sounds like it was built for an unlimited budget (I think we can safely say that Rob's decades of craft correspond with an unlimited budget
tongue.gif
). I think there's only one person who has posted to this thread that they contemplated DAVE and bought something else or just didn't buy. I'm excluding people who won't spend that much (I'm excluding myself for the time being). It appears to have no meaningful competition at any price.

Anyone keeping track of the DAVE refuseniks?

Great observations. I havent read anything from Chord or Rob Watts that clearly explains if there were deliberate design goals/objectives for the sound signatures of Hugo, Hugo TT, Mojo, and DAVE. I would be curious to know what those goals were and to understand how Rob Watts feels each of those products are or are not differentiated in sound signatures. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #3,775 of 25,821
@ Mr Watts:

Can you tell me what position DAVE would be, on the following chart, please?

A bloke down the pub told me DAVE will help me enjoy my MP3s even better than my midi system, but all the other experts down the pub told me that a proper DAC should cost around a hundred thousand dollars, so I am guessing that because DAVE is too cheap, it is probably in the middle of this chart:

(I know what you're thinking - that chart is an incredibly-accurate representation of how digital audio actually works, isn't it?)

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #3,779 of 25,821
@ Mr Watts:

Can you tell me what position DAVE would be, on the following chart, please?

A bloke down the pub told me DAVE will help me enjoy my MP3s even better than my midi system, but all the other experts down the pub told me that a proper DAC should cost around a hundred thousand dollars, so I am guessing that because DAVE is too cheap, it is probably in the middle of this chart:

(I know what you're thinking - that chart is an incredibly-accurate representation of how digital audio actually works, isn't it?)

I want the one in the middle, because I imagine she'll come more into focus when I'm completely hammered.

Is this a real question?

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #3,780 of 25,821
seems windows with asio using foobar with no replay gain is the only thing you need as transport. :) adding good usb cable is bonus. http://archimago.blogspot.in/2015/08/measurements-audiophile-sound-and.html?m=1 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back