CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 25, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #2,251 of 25,832

I just spent two weeks listening to the DAVE in a generous in-home audition here in Seattle. When the local rep dropped it off, the DAVE was still in the box, fresh from the factory. This was apparently the first DAVE to make it to the American Pacific Northwest. I mostly ran it 24/7 so that by the end of the audition, it had about 300 hours...

Well done, Jon, and an excellent read!  Even if you ended up not liking the DAVE or should you find the Schiit Yggy more to your liking, it's hard not to respect your conclusions given the detail you provided regarding your perspective and preferences and that you did indeed perform your due diligence!  As we both use live music (mostly classical) as our reference, it becomes easier to relate to your descriptors and I agree with just about all of your points.  As you have stated so well, with the DAVE, it is the recording that matters the most.  Feed it a highly compressed or even a mediocre studio recording and the DAVE will make the most of what's available but the difference against another DAC may not be anything to write home about.  Feed it something well performed and well recorded, regardless of complexity and the reward will be there.  Can the DAVE surpass the vinyl experience with the proper recording?  Probably not if part of your enjoyment is tied to the ritual of manually flipping through your library, removing a vinyl disc from its jacket, queuing it up and enjoying the album cover while you listen.  There is certainly something to be said of such rituals.  Of course, there is also something to be said about enjoying how something sounds, flaws and all, because it is familiar and because you equate it with good memories.  Can the DAVE, fed with a well recorded 24/192 file match the technical aspects of what vinyl has to offer?  On paper and with newer recordings, it would seem to me that the DAVE should be at least as good as any analog media, especially since most recordings these days are being recorded digitally to begin with.

I have received more than a few PMs questioning what I am hearing with the DAVE because their experience with the Hugo was only so so and since the DAVE and Hugo share the same DNA, how can the DAVE really sound that good?  Well, between the Hugo and the DAVE is the difference of 150 DSP cores, more than 125,000 taps (digital sampling filters) as well as a chasm worth of difference between their noise shaper performance in addition to superior RF rejection.  It would be like asking how good can the MSB Select II sound when the MSB Analog only sounds so so.

I have received many PMs questioning how it's possible the source player truly doesn't matter any further with the DAVE or how it's possible that a generic USB cable can sound as good as a much more expensive one or how it's possible that USB can sound good at all since it is such a flawed standard and so it is good for other people to comment on this as you have done so nicely.  The DAVE truly forces you to rethink all that you know about high end audio setup and tuning and I find this as remarkable as how good it sounds.  

You mentioned the Sonore microRendu and while this soon-to-be-released server, IMO, has the potential to rival even the finest music server regardless of cost, with the DAVE, you could get by with much less and be just as well off.  I am using Sonore's less expensive ($300) Sonicorbiter SE with wonderful results and while I could easily use my Mac Pro with equally good results, both Sonore servers conveniently match the DAVE's playback capabilities, from 24/768 PCM to DSD 512 whereas a PC or Mac maxes out at 24/192 and DSD128 with Roon.  

One thing you didn't mention was what headphone amp you use with your Ayre QB9 DAC?  One question that seems to come up again and again is how is it possible the integrated headphone amp in this compact sized DAC that is smaller than a shoe box, which has no tubes and comes with an integrated switching power supply could possibly sound better than some $10,000 tube amp with its expensive NOS tubes and outboard linear power supply?  Well, no matter what I or Rob or anyone else who owns a DAVE say, people don't believe it and they're already looking to pair the DAVE with another amplifier even before they've heard the DAVE.  Certainly, a separate amp can bring a certain warmth or bloom or delicacy that the DAVE does not provide and an amp can even provide more drive for certain headphones, but as Rob has said more than a few times, if holographic transparency is what you are after, then you cannot do better than the DAVE's integrated headphone amp and so what I would take home from your experience as well as my own is to try the DAVE by itself first and only proceed with purchasing an outboard headphone amp if you feel you need it.  

Regarding value, considering I have been able to sell of my expensive music servers, my expensive grounding box, my expensive line conditioner, several expensive mains cables and digital interconnects and my big expensive rack and still have better SQ than I have ever had before, the only thing that I can think of with more value for the dollar than the DAVE would be the Mojo.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #2,252 of 25,832
Just curious if, Shuttlepod, you have heard any high end CD players from, say, Esoteric, EMM, Playback Designs, Meridian, Dcs, etc. (even if not in your own system)? If so, any thoughts on these vs. the Chords? Thanks.

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #2,254 of 25,832
Hi to all of you.
I have been reading this thread for a time and it has been very informative. I have an order on a Chord DAVE mainly to use with speakers (and for my Hifiman HE1000). Source will be a mac book pro with Amarra and IRC>Tellurium Q black Diamond USB.McIntosh C2500 as preamp and MC542 as power amp.The speakers are Focal Scala. Would you connect the DAVE direct to the power amp? No analog source in my system.I am using a Chord Hugo as DAC now.
Best regards
Oscar

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #2,255 of 25,832
Absolutely - the best sounding pre-amp is non at all.

Some pre-amps perform the function of bandwidth limiting, but this is not needed with Dave, as there is no significant out of band output from Dave, so nothing to upset the power amp with.

Rob 

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #2,257 of 25,832
has anybody tried Dave direct to benchmark ahb2 power amp in low gain mode ? I use my Hugo with this amp and I would say the amp is very neutral and transparent with extremely low noise !

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #2,258 of 25,832
Wow, superb system..Dave direct to power amp will work very well.

Thank you!

Absolutely - the best sounding pre-amp is non at all.

Some pre-amps perform the function of bandwidth limiting, but this is not needed with Dave, as there is no significant out of band output from Dave, so nothing to upset the power amp with.

Rob 

Thank you very much, Rob. I will try DAVE direct to power amp

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #2,260 of 25,832
I think you should try Hugo direct to power amp too while you wait for DAVE.

Hi. I tried it some time ago with good results (although I didn't do any critical comparation) when my preamp was out for repair. But I like the convenience of a remote and a good control of volume. I also used an analog input then (but not now). DAVE has a remote control so no problem with that.

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #2,262 of 25,832
I would also like to know how the volume control is performed in digital domain. with Hugo directly into power amp, the sound is very transparent even at extremely low volumes which is very unlike analog volume control. analog volume control loses decipherablity very quickly at lower volume, wonder what is the reason for that . is it the impedance of analog volume pot ?

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,264 of 25,832
@shuttlepod

Thanks for your great and insightful review, im in on your findings and points.

Just one question when you wrote that you had to adjust some settings in Roon to get the sound correct, so just out of curiosity what settings in Roon where you referring to ?

Have a great Easter

/ Fredrik

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,265 of 25,832
ecwl:  You are correct, I do have a preamp in my system because my Crayon CFA 1.2 is an integrated amp where the preamp cannot be bypassed. And yes, I’m sure there is some loss of transparency vs. going directly into a very transparent amp. The Crayon, however, is a very transparent integrated, so I’m not sure how much I’m losing. I may find out when Rob and Chord come out with their digital amp, which appears to promise greater transparency than any conventional amp. One benefit of using the Crayon is the remote, which is more useful than Chord’s remote.

Of course when I was using the HE1000s I was getting the full benefit of DAVE’s transparency.

Romaz:  Thanks for the kind words. Folks really need to hear DAVE to understand the delta between DAVE and Chord’s other dacs (and other dacs). You noticed that I didn’t mention what headphone amp I had been using with my Ayre QB-9. That’s because for the last year I haven’t been using a headphone amp with that dac. Instead, I’ve been limping along with an HRT Microstreamer straight out of my computer. My headphones are also quite old:  AudioTechnica 1000s from about 8-9 years ago. I used to pair those headphones with a Yamamoto headphone amp, which was a soft, technicolored sound, but certainly pleasurable as far as it went. Then I paired them for a while with a Bakoon integrated amp with excellent headphone out. I’ve heard some really good cans at some shows, but it’s fair to say my head-fi experience is very limited compared to most on this forum. On the other hand, I can approach the whole head-fi experience with “beginnner’s mind,” which is not a bad thing at all. All of this will be changing as I have already ordered an HE1000.

You mentioned that a PC or Mac maxes out at 24/192 with Roon. I may be wrong about this, but I thought I was able to play DXD (24/352) with Roon using my MacBook Pro. Initially, I noticed that when I played DXD, DAVE downsampled to 24/176. Then I went into Roon’s audio settings and checked “Disabled” under Roon’s Max PCM Sampling  (it had been set at “Up to 24/196”). Once I did this, DAVE indicated that the file was playing at full DXD (24/352).

rgs9200m:  As I mentioned in my review, I have not had much experience with SOTA dacs. I have heard a Playback Designs dac in a (literally) million dollar system. Interestingly, digital compared unfavorably to the SOTA vinyl and reel-to-reel playback in the same system. Bottom line, however, is that I have very little experience with very expensive dacs so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt, I suppose. I think people who are interested in a DAVE should try hard to arrange a nice long audition if possible. Your ears are what matters.

rkt31: Yes, I knew that my upcoming Yggy audition would strike some as a little off the wall, and you are absolutely right:  if the Yggy comes very close to DAVE at one-sixth of the price, well, wouldn’t it be a little foolish to pass on that opportunity? Not that I expect that to happen. But I think Schiit is an interesting company that’s really opened new vistas for a lot of people and I’m approaching it with an open mind.  

Beolab/Fredrik:  Thanks. The settings I was referring to were the Audio settings that you find when you click on the little set of gears next to a particular Zone in Roon. These don’t show up in the screen shot you posted. But I already received a PM asking me about these settings, and here are the Audio settings I was using with DAVE:

- Exclusive Mode = checked
- Integer Mode = checked
- Force Max Volume = not checked
- Disable Vol Control = not checked
- Max Sample Rate = either “Up to 192” if I'm using a dac where this is the max or “Disabled” for DAVE, which let me play DXD recordings (see my notes above in response to Romaz)
- Resync Delay = Oms
- DSD Playback = (DoP)
- Max DSD = Up to 128; Roon does not do 256 yet 

I hope this is helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back