CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 4, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #21,991 of 25,832
My system is file-based. I'm not streaming music over ethernet. The ethernet only transmits the commands from my phone to the Zen Mini.

I will implement a fibre bridge to prevent rf nastiness coming into the Zen via that ethernet link.

I have ordered parts and when they come, I'll see how it goes.

I rarely stream either.

My in-house music transmission is mostly AOIP using single-mode fibre for trunks and copper for the last half metre. The protocols used are dante.

Regards
GG

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #21,992 of 25,832
It was an EtherRegen that I sold and replaced with the PhoenixNET when I had it in home demo from my dealer. The improvements were not subtle. The way I used to evaluate was to pull the Ethernet cable from the back of my streamer/server after setting the track to play. The NET was the same sound as no connection. The ER was not. To my mind using that method for evaluation gave me a good basis for evaluating ‘better’.

I'm actually toying with the idea of getting Sean to build me another ARC6 to power the ERs (plural) in my system as each power supply upgrade shows me that the ER scales well with better power. Single-mode fibre was the biggest transparency change over the network in my experience here. Good to see that different flavours work in different circumstances.

Regards
GG

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #21,993 of 25,832
I don't think what you suggest will work very well.

The XLR outputs of DAVE are signal outputs, not power outputs. The DAVE will expect them to be connected to a device with very high input impedance so that only very small currents will need to be delivered.

The transformer box that comes with the RAAL merely changes the effective impedance that the output of an amplifier sees when driving them. It is totally passive and so cannot add power.

The ribbon technology of the RAAL naturally presents an extremely low impedance - as I understood it approx 0.1Ω - so most amplifiers would see this as effectively a dead short. Very few amplifiers can withstand their outputs being shorted in this way.

In fact, putting this kind of near-short on the XLR signal output of the DAVE might be an EXTREMELY bad idea!

The transformer box allows a higher impedance more in line with regular headphones to be presented to the amplifier.

Also, on a practical level, your amplifier would work best if it has XLR headphone output. Otherwise you'll also need some ugly adaptors to convert to XLR as I think the transformer box only has XLR sockets.
Agreed.

My question was based on the simple premise that the new transformer box allows amps upwards of 2 watts rated power, that maybe there was enough voltage available for it to work. The Raals do have a low impedance and as such require lots of current but low voltages.

But the numbers don't seem to stack up and it was a fairly idle fancy, so idea dropped and onto the next brainwave :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #21,994 of 25,832
Aug 5, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #21,995 of 25,832
I still don't know whether to take this comment at face value or as a deep sarcasm 😀
I was struggling to fathom it out, so I read some of his recent posts, including this one.

"So while you can argue that you'd prefer to see X, Y or Z measurement used, as long as the same measurements are being taken consistently of every applicable device that's tested then you have an accurate frame for comparison."

Using that logic, if you consistently measure the case surface colour of every piece of kit that you test, then you will have an accurate frame for comparison.
Yes you will have a consistent frame for comparison, even though in this example it will explain nothing about what the device will sound like.

I have made my mind up now, but YMMV. :wink:

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #21,996 of 25,832
I still don't know whether to take this comment at face value or as a deep sarcasm 😀

I realised after I posted it that it might be misinterpreted :)

I have been following ASR for 6 months or so, and find the premise of objectively measuring the performance of components interesting and really useful. However, their forums are a blooming scary place. The detail they obsess over is just beyond my comprehension. How much autism would you like? Yes! :)

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #21,997 of 25,832
I was struggling to fathom it out, so I read some of his recent posts, including this one.

"So while you can argue that you'd prefer to see X, Y or Z measurement used, as long as the same measurements are being taken consistently of every applicable device that's tested then you have an accurate frame for comparison."

Using that logic, if you consistently measure the case surface colour of every piece of kit that you test, then you will have an accurate frame for comparison.
Yes you will have a consistent frame for comparison, even though in this example it will explain nothing about what the device will sound like.

I have made my mind up now, but YMMV. :wink:

Don't be too quick to judge, I'm a nice chap really.

And with respect to your comments on that quoted post I think it's gone over your head. You know very well I was talking about applicable measurements for whatever the device is, so I have no idea why you felt the need to be so obtuse. Behave yourself.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #21,998 of 25,832
*I'M JOKING HERE* 😀

That reminds me of the scene at the beginning of "Aliens" in Ripley's hospital room on Gateway Station where Burke tells her: "I work for the company but don't let that fool you, I'm really an OK guy."

We pretty much all know what happened after that! 😅

*I'M JUST JOKING...* [running into the bunker just as the blast doors close] 🙂

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #22,000 of 25,832

And with respect to your comments on that quoted post I think it's gone over your head. You know very well I was talking about applicable measurements for whatever the device is, so I have no idea why you felt the need to be so obtuse. Behave yourself.
The fact that you are nice is why you woke up and left the cult. :)
FWIW I like this post.

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #22,001 of 25,832
I've had the Dave since May, so my experience is limited. In these days where many of the inhabitants of my town and the industrial activities are almost all closed for holidays, the quality of the listening is exceptional. The configuration that amuses me the most for sound quality is with win laptop with Asio drivers (A / B test between MacBook Pro and Win Laptop, I like the second much more) Audirvana for PC, simple USB cables from Vision Cable, Phoenix USB, Dave, 2 Etudes and speakers. The sound is so "free" and very pleasant, dynamic, all frequencies are "disciplined", wow. You've often written bass and vocals, handled by Dave in a fantastic way, well, now I can see that. My goal will therefore be to "clean" the power supply. Sooner or later I'll try SteveHulk's solution, with batteries and inverters, Triode User was talking about Airlink transformers....
What solution could help me to recreate this fantastic situation without having to affect the Italian gold reserves?:joy:

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #22,002 of 25,832
I was aslo intrigued by Triode Users recommending Airlink / Plixir. So I wanted to get a Plixir Elite BAC to try, sadly the Swedish importer only carry the BDC products and ordering from Plixir is 220 in postage. Can anyone recommend a online dealer in EU that carry Plixir Elite BAC?

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #22,004 of 25,832
I was aslo intrigued by Triode Users recommending Airlink / Plixir. So I wanted to get a Plixir Elite BAC to try, sadly the Swedish importer only carry the BDC products and ordering from Plixir is 220 in postage. Can anyone recommend a online dealer in EU that carry Plixir Elite BAC?
The PliXir has (or at least mine has) a quality UK sourced balanced transformer in it not unlike the AirLink one although not the same manufacturer. So in effect the difference between the two brands comes down to the aesthetics of the case. If you can find a place to hide the AirLink version out of sight that might be easier to obtain.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #22,005 of 25,832
The PliXir has (or at least mine has) a quality UK sourced balanced transformer in it not unlike the AirLink one although not the same manufacturer. So in effect the difference between the two brands comes down to the aesthetics of the case. If you can find a place to hide the AirLink version out of sight that might be easier to obtain.
Thanks, but actually they seem even harder to find, I only find them in UK with the UK connectors. In UK futureshop has Plixir but only with UK power connectors. Found some german shop with Plixir listed but the shop had very bad reviews on trustpilot….

But Airlink is a name that makes it harder to google for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back