CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 6, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #18,751 of 25,833
Yes it is, tomorrrow i will install the options, purple fuse, rodium inlets, and in about 2 weeks the final prints will arrive. Just came feom his place a hour ago and talked about this. I will probably need a week to assemble the hardware and test the first 10 sets. So end of the month it will be ready. The stock setup with no upgrade fuse and inlets will be 3.000,- euros incl vat. And the full options version will be 3.750,- inc vat. The effect of these upgrade i will review the upcoming two weeks. New silver dc leads have to be played in icw the fuses etc…

Pre ordering can be done already ofcourse. I thought he told me 6-7 people already mailed him about this.
Assuming you're referring to the Dave PSU I look forward to hearing your findings. How does the full options version differ from the stock version?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #18,752 of 25,833
Synergy research purple fuses in al three in my case 4 lps’s with the scaler, rodium furutech ac inlets instead of stock cheaper ones. Got some work to do this night.

Attachments

• 9CEED2C4-8FB7-4E9B-B7C8-0028E095B231.jpeg
    9CEED2C4-8FB7-4E9B-B7C8-0028E095B231.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #18,754 of 25,833
Here are my writings of the last few weeks, sorry for the length. Part one you van find a few pages back.

Review farad lps part two
After 2 weeks of constantly playing music on the dave with the new farad lps with some constant intervals I listened to the same pieces of music but also tried to analyze some amazing songs that I know very well. Below some of my obvious notes i made these last two weeks and what stood out
Bass has gotten a different character besides more presence and strength on almost all tracks, the already not so bad sounding thumps that were not really drawing attention now shifted to a more sole identity of that bass that contributes much more to the soul of each song.
The opportunity is also much more there to just focus on for example a voice or violin and tell your brain to cancel out the rest of the music. It almost feels like looking direct into the eyes of the artist.
Drama free from deadmau5 is a difficult song for a lot of setups and mostly in the beginning of the song Pre-lps upgrade. After the linear upgrade the voices tend to come looser of the overwhelming continued bass humm and synth. It's a noisy song but now the ease and rest has kicked in to selectively listen, it's like breathing the fresh swiss mountain air instead of flat country air (not city that always sucks).
From a technical point of view, what i always tend to approach due to the way i am, I expected the amplifier to have the most control over transients and power of a song. But I now start to realize that the beginning of the chain probably has much more influence as i expected. And is much more important.
Listening on low volumes also gives much more satisfaction. The deep dynamic character of the music stays much more sustained than before and with higher volumes.
Elton john’s ‘love song’ tapping feet in the right high corner is much more becoming a feet as i hear it instead of a high tick. The playing kids in the rear you can locate and give an accurate position and the waving sea has become much more distant and a bit like a 3d painting.

Spacious songs, live and where room ambiance is present got a lot more ease or less fatigue, how you approach that i guess and have become much more musical. Monica Mancini with skylark is singing in a holistic surrounding where she now sings more in the front and her hoarse voice has become much more pleasant and adds a sort of truth to my brain.
Sarah mclachlan, an angel her voice is truly sung from out of heaven. The piano now is almost in the same league as her voice and is competing for attention. The closing and opening of her lips are can be heard and compliment the light touches of the piano keys. Really eerie now. The low keys notes of the piano or synth are pounding through my room and make you open your eyes each time. Bizarre song
Effortless listening to music and fatigueless on higher volumes, instruments are sliding 3D through your ears creating an absurde realistic stage and image in front of you. Jaw dropping without exaggerating everytime and it's getting better with small steps after 7/8 days now.
Also below -24dB in my system the dave seems to find to level out its max dynamic range it seems that’s sort of a sweet spot were everything has maximum depth stage and realism.
Celestial echo of malia the bass is relentlessly eerie and floats through the room and takes your eardrums like a feeling of water with no pressure through your head. You slowly when your eyes are shut go into a trance that feels like a warm bath. Absurd, it always sounded beautiful but a lot of music now feels like you understand what the maker was trying to create and that the search of us addicted audiophiles found it at last, that sums up a bit this lps upgrade.

The two weeks its online now i noticed a slight shift to become somewhat more smooth and less edgy but that’s really tiny and could be my brain but anyways the pleasant side of the spectrum. Could be changing more in the next few weeks i dont now that. Kudos for farad anyways till now.

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #18,755 of 25,833
Is this still the 3 Farad super setup, or an all in one box option?
3 farad setup, the case of three separate transformers and leads is also much better than in one case, seperate digital from analogue voltage etc etc. I can understand the inconvience for this but function over form.

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #18,757 of 25,833
No idea never heard the orange one this is my first fuse experience. Going from stock gkass to this one. Dunno what to expect

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #18,758 of 25,833
3 farad setup, the case of three separate transformers and leads is also much better than in one case, seperate digital from analogue voltage etc etc. I can understand the inconvience for this but function over form.
Aren't the Super 3's like 500 euros each? how do 3 of them end up costing 3k?

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #18,759 of 25,833
There are three silver cables included in the set and a monitor print. I believe they are 500,- excl vat. Look at his website the prices are there incl the new negative lps.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #18,760 of 25,833
Yeah, I muddied up the waters with the DC4 talk. :beyersmile: But, it is relevant with talk of new power supplies and the DAVE power output. If one owns a DAVE and wants to drive the Susvaras, they need to decide upon a DC4 or an external amp. I'm just saying in that choice, it would be a tough to pick between a WA33 SE or the DC4
I believe it's an easy decision, a good power supply dramatically improves the transparency and sound quality of the Dave. An additional amplifier and interconnect cables have the opposite effect and just distort or colour the sound. (especially a balanced amp with Dave) The quality of the source is most important in a hi-fi system. Lost quality can't be brought back! The simpler the analogue part of a hi-fi system the better.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #18,761 of 25,833
I believe it's an easy decision, a good power supply dramatically improves the transparency and sound quality of the Dave. An additional amplifier and interconnect cables have the opposite effect and just distort or colour the sound.

Except in scenarios where under-amplification from the Dave provides for a sub-optimal sound in comparison to an external amp capable of optimally powering a given headphone. Color and distortion are not the only factors here (albeit tradeoffs that have to be acknowledged). A good power supply provided in such amps directly contributes to the improvement in sound quality you reference here. If one can believe that a DC4 can improve the Dave, it should be very easy to comprehend how an external amp can do the same.

But again this conversation just keeps going in circles. The last thing I'll say is that nearly all of the people that have actually experimented with amps + the Dave with very hard to drive headphones prefer an external amp. That isn't because people just prefer color or distortion--that doesn't even reasonably make sense. Has far more to do with effective amplification, which extends far beyond volume level. Again, everyone please just experiment and decide with your own ears.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #18,762 of 25,833
In my opinion, if the electrical system of the house is in order, it is not necessary to change the power supplies to the electronics. For example, in my house I have a new and completely isolated electrical system: the kitchen is independent, just as all the lighting in the house is independent.
And each light switch is served by low voltage relays that are heard in action in the electrical panel. And the music system has two independent lines, where MScaler and DAVE are separated from each other, to avoid ground planes. This is the electrical panel, it goes from floor to ceiling. And I think it is also important to follow the directions in the DAVE manual, such as not having cell phones, wifi or large transformers nearby.

1.jpg

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #18,763 of 25,833
Got a seperate circuit braker just for the audio tapted before the earth leak switch (these suck) and i use one of my three phase only for audio. The other two are for my house. Audio above all. But dont use the earth breaker on your audio not up to code but who cares. Also the phase is all to the right side and does not cross any other lead. Got a solar system on other phase and tou dont want that one near the audio. Thank god we listen most of the time at night so no nois from that system.

Attachments

• 66E2233F-8B8B-4CDD-9B57-F916D5C4B222.jpeg
    66E2233F-8B8B-4CDD-9B57-F916D5C4B222.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #18,764 of 25,833
And guys take a good look at this 30,- dollar ali express supply thats in the dave. Look up the number and you can order it. So if you buy a 1000 they will be 15,- dollar. Next is one lps -15V farad… nothing to explain i hope.

Thats in our dave😂😞

Attachments

• BB788CD4-B05D-4144-95E8-7E4AB850A02D.jpeg
    BB788CD4-B05D-4144-95E8-7E4AB850A02D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 06712075-34C5-4B1F-81AA-C4C79772A343.jpeg
    06712075-34C5-4B1F-81AA-C4C79772A343.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #18,765 of 25,833
False. I'm hearing it with my own ears, and I have the WA33 EE JPS to compare it to 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I am very happy with this new found power in my DAVE brought about by the DC4, and if nobody else tries it, that will be fine with me. I'm just super excited to have another solid state to use when I want a different flavor from my WA33 :L3000:
You aren’t changing the total power output of the DAVE, that’s not possible unless you replace the analogue output stage of the DAVE. You may be hearing a cleaner background, or some other change with the DC4 (I can’t say as I haven’t heard it), but you are not changing the power output of the DAVE. Just keeping it technically correct.

I’m glad you are enjoying the setup though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back