Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #4,456 of 4,904
I'm taking it down to Chord tomorrow. Will you keep you informed on what they say.

Update.

After nearly three weeks I got my Blumk2 back from Chord saying the issues have been fixed.

Plugged it in, and all was OK. Today I'm listening to it, and the problem is back. Cuts out and really bad interference when the LCD is on and I'm listening via USB.

Oh well, looks like it's going back again!

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #4,457 of 4,904
Could use some help.

Using blu mk 2 and dave.

Getting sound of the CD player.

Connected the usb on blu2 to my win 7 laptop.

Have dual bnc to dave. Dave is set to bnc1.

Not getting music from spotify or tidal.

Downloaded the win 10 driver from chords site.
Searched for updates to the driver and no luck.

The OS won't auto detect the driver, that's why I dl'ed it.

Any ideas?

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #4,458 of 4,904
Could use some help.

Using blu mk 2 and dave.

Getting sound of the CD player.

Connected the usb on blu2 to my win 7 laptop.

Have dual bnc to dave. Dave is set to bnc1.

Not getting music from spotify or tidal.

Downloaded the win 10 driver from chords site.
Searched for updates to the driver and no luck.

The OS won't auto detect the driver, that's why I dl'ed it.

Any ideas?

Probably need the older Windows 7 driver. I recall seeing someone post a link to it on either here or the DAVE thread (all Chord DACs and Blu2 seem to work with same drivers, so even if the older one is not marked Blu2, it is probably the right one as long as it is Win 7).

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #4,460 of 4,904
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #4,461 of 4,904
Thanks for that comment. I may not have convinced you to continue using the MScaler with my cables (or more accurately to use the MScaler at all) but Jay at Audio Bacon was convinced and bought a pair of my WAVE cables for himself a couple of weeks after the Audio Bacon bnc review. Chuffed about that. :relaxed:

There's no way you're going hear glare, harshness, or get fatigued from Nick's cable. If you do, it's definitely something else.

Btw, Happy Birthday Rob Watts!

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #4,463 of 4,904
There's no way you're going hear glare, harshness, or get fatigued from Nick's cable. If you do, it's definitely something else.

Btw, Happy Birthday Rob Watts!

Jay, Thanks for the comment.

I didn't realise that @Rob Watts was 21. He doesn't look old enough!

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #4,465 of 4,904
Does using the Blu II or M Scaler largely (or entirely) eliminate the benefit of a owning a hires version of a recording? My question assumes two identical recordings with one at CD quality and one at higher resolution. Thanks

In a word, no.

Both Blu II and the new MScaler do a remarkable job with redbook 44.1 files but they do an even better job with hires files. If an album is available in hires I now purchase that. Note we are talking here of original hires files and not ones which have been upsampled.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #4,466 of 4,904
In a word, no.

Both Blu II and the new MScaler do a remarkable job with redbook 44.1 files but they do an even better job with hires files. If an album is available in hires I now purchase that. Note we are talking here of original hires files and not ones which have been upsampled.

Great, thanks very much! Can't wait to hear an even better version of the Dave (when the M Scaler arrives).

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #4,467 of 4,904
Agreed

Blu2 does a remarkable job with Hi-res recordings.

In a word, no.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #4,468 of 4,904
After what seemed like an interminable wait — in reality, nothing compared to what early Blu2 adopters had to deal with — my new Blu2 arrived last Friday. Although I could have saved some money waiting for a Hugo M-Scaler, I actually wanted a CD player, and the fact that the style matches the DAVE though not a necessity, certainly doesn’t hurt.

IMG_0996.jpg

Right out of the box and using the inexpensive OEM BNC cables provided by Chord, it is amazing how the Blu2 enhances any musical parameter I could name of the already excellent DAVE. However, after the first rush of enthusiasm it is equally apparent that there is also a bit of edginess to the Blu2/DAVE combination which is perhaps all the more jarring because of how good everything else sounds.

I had intended to experiment with ferrites on inexpensive BNC cables, but hedged my bets by ordering a pair of Nick’s WAVE Storm Reference cables. I am very glad I did. Not only do the WAVE cables banish any hit of glare or edginess from the BluDAVE combination, but what I thought was already a notable improvement in performance with the Blu2 has become much, much better. In fact, I’m now listening to the best digital music playback I’ve ever experienced anywhere.

IMG_0999.jpg

Kudos to Rob Watts and Chord for their brilliant Blu2 CD player and M-Scaler, and kudos to Nick Bacon for his excellent WAVE Storm Reference BNC cables. In fact, the WAVE cables have enabled the true brilliance of the Blu2 to be heard in all its glory. Anyone with a Blu2 and DAVE, or the just released Hugo M-Scaler really owes it to themselves to give Nick’s WAVE cables an audition — they are that good.

Steve Z

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #4,469 of 4,904
After what seemed like an interminable wait — in reality, nothing compared to what early Blu2 adopters had to deal with — my new Blu2 arrived last Friday. Although I could have saved some money waiting for a Hugo M-Scaler, I actually wanted a CD player, and the fact that the style matches the DAVE though not a necessity, certainly doesn’t hurt.

Right out of the box and using the inexpensive OEM BNC cables provided by Chord, it is amazing how the Blu2 enhances any musical parameter I could name of the already excellent DAVE. However, after the first rush of enthusiasm it is equally apparent that there is also a bit of edginess to the Blu2/DAVE combination which is perhaps all the more jarring because of how good everything else sounds.

I had intended to experiment with ferrites on inexpensive BNC cables, but hedged my bets by ordering a pair of Nick’s WAVE Storm Reference cables. I am very glad I did. Not only do the WAVE cables banish any hit of glare or edginess from the BluDAVE combination, but what I thought was already a notable improvement in performance with the Blu2 has become much, much better. In fact, I’m now listening to the best digital music playback I’ve ever experienced anywhere.

Kudos to Rob Watts and Chord for their brilliant Blu2 CD player and M-Scaler, and kudos to Nick Bacon for his excellent WAVE Storm Reference BNC cables. In fact, the WAVE cables have enabled the true brilliance of the Blu2 to be heard in all its glory. Anyone with a Blu2 and DAVE, or the just released Hugo M-Scaler really owes it to themselves to give Nick’s WAVE cables an audition — they are that good.

Steve Z

Thanks for your post. Interesting to read and some good photos too.
One question though. Is your not so humble looking turntable going into retirement now or does it still put up a good fight against your new Chord combo?
Just wondering you know. Cheers Christer

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #4,470 of 4,904

Steve Z
Which Shunyata power cables are you using and what kind of SQ improvement did you hear? Is the improvement equally worth the investment for both the Blu2 and DAVE or could you live with just one and which one. Trying to keep within budget. Also, did you consider the other option for dual BNCs offered by Clear Audio (Silver-line Optimus Reference) for a bit less cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back