Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 21, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,281 of 4,904
Ray-dude, any impressions on Omega CAMs with BluDave (very curious to hear as I am deciding between cams and sams)

Yes I've been able to give them a preliminary listen (I know enough to not listen to Omega's until they have 100+ hours on them...they were banished to the casita for 5 days). I hope to give them a more critical listen this weekend.

Physically, they are more petite (vs the SAMs) than I anticipated, but the imaging precision/clarity is very similar to the SAMs (at first blush). The bass is a bit thinner than I thought it would be, so I would consider a quality/fast/precise subwoofer a must. With the SAMs, I think they are defensible without a sub for all but the most bass heavy pieces.

I will likely stick with the SAMs, just to have flexibility of running without a sub, but for more space constrained settings (and WAF), the CAMs would bubble to the top.

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,282 of 4,904
Yes I've been able to give them a preliminary listen (I know enough to not listen to Omega's until they have 100+ hours on them...they were banished to the casita for 5 days). I hope to give them a more critical listen this weekend.

Physically, they are more petite (vs the SAMs) than I anticipated, but the imaging precision/clarity is very similar to the SAMs (at first blush). The bass is a bit thinner than I thought it would be, so I would consider a quality/fast/precise subwoofer a must. With the SAMs, I think they are defensible without a sub for all but the most bass heavy pieces.

I will likely stick with the SAMs, just to have flexibility of running without a sub, but for more space constrained settings (and WAF), the CAMs would bubble to the top.
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your final verdict. Have you looked at Omega's sub as well?

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #2,283 of 4,904
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your final verdict. Have you looked at Omega's sub as well?

I have not, mainly because they do t have the bass extension (I’m spoiled rotten by my B&W 802d3’s).

I have a JL Audio F112v2 in the mix, which is lovely and very musical and transparent with the BluDAVE (fast, low distortion, etc. I’m driving them from the XLR outputs of the DAVE)

I’m guessing a 10” JL Audio would be more that sufficient for almost all music, but have the same sub in my surround setup for movies, etc

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2,284 of 4,904
I have not, mainly because they do t have the bass extension (I’m spoiled rotten by my B&W 802d3’s).

I have a JL Audio F112v2 in the mix, which is lovely and very musical and transparent with the BluDAVE (fast, low distortion, etc. I’m driving them from the XLR outputs of the DAVE)

I’m guessing a 10” JL Audio would be more that sufficient for almost all music, but have the same sub in my surround setup for movies, etc

What a coincidence, I’m using the BluDAVE with the Omega CAMs and JL Audio F112v2 as well. Works wonderfully. Amazing bass which integrates really well with the CAMs.

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #2,285 of 4,904
Objects of desire.
_MG_0076.jpg

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #2,286 of 4,904
what about hugo2 and blu2 together christer? what is your critique or appraisal of this combo?

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,287 of 4,904
Well blu2 and Dave isn’t perfect so take it/that from there,lol

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #2,288 of 4,904
Objects of desire.

And that said by a man who is currently single? (I could think of other things to drool over - over there :ksc75smile: )

Have you told the guy in the Hi-Fi shop that you have no intentions of buying any gear? (and just drooling over it) :deadhorse:

BTW, how much are those bottles of water? (as they are about the only things in my price category :o2smile: )

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,289 of 4,904
BTW, how much are those bottles of water? (as they are about the only things in my price category :o2smile: )

If those bottles of water are the 2A3 Electro Harmonix bottles then about £50 each !!!

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #2,290 of 4,904
what about hugo2 and blu2 together christer? what is your critique or appraisal of this combo?
I haven't auditioned that combo yet.
But if what romaz and others hint at regarding BLU2 /HUGO 2 is a fact, I must admit that provided an upcoming M-scaler is priced in a real world price category there is a certain risk I might bite the bullet.
Cheers Christer

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #2,291 of 4,904
And that said by a man who is currently single? (I could think of other things to drool over - over there :ksc75smile: )

Have you told the guy in the Hi-Fi shop that you have no intentions of buying any gear? (and just drooling over it) :deadhorse:

Water bottles?
I don't see any water bottles in this photo.
The things looking like bottles are actually the valves of the WA33 in this image.
Go easy on the booze at Christmas guys.
It is easy to imagine things that are not there.
Cheers and Merry Christmas Christer
_MG_0076.jpg

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #2,292 of 4,904
Excellent post. Some questions:
  • Do you hear a difference in sound quality with the laptop unplugged from the mains, so that it's running on battery power? This test should be done with nothing between the laptop and DAVE except a USB cable.
Yes, I always use battery power becuase it sounds better, but with the full spaghetti in place, the difference isn't as big now as it was when I first noticed this on my transportable system (same laptop driving iFi iMicro/HD600).
  • Do you have an optical output on your laptop to feed DAVE directly? Making sure to disconnect the USB connection from DAVE when you try this. The optical cable will eliminate RF noise entering DAVE via a digital input.
No, just USB (and a USB->ethernet dongle). It's a very slim ultrabook that has minimal sockets. Not a great starting point for a high end system, but it was only meant to be temporary source (for the last 2 years!)
  • Are you listening with headphones or speakers? A power amp in the system complicates things because you will definitely have a mains earth loop, even if the laptop is running on batteries, potentially causing RF problems between DAVE and power amp (and pre-amp if you have one of those too).
Always HEK V2 headphones directly from DAVE. I no longer listen to loudspeakers for serious listening - too much effort to get the room sounding right, and it would annoy the neighbours :).

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #2,293 of 4,904
Water bottles?
I don't see any water bottles in this photo.
The things looking like bottles are actually the valves of the WA33 in this image.
Go easy on the booze at Christmas guys.
It is easy to imagine things that are not there.
Cheers and Merry Christmas Christer

So you did buy from the guy - 5 bottles of water! (with the instantaneously bio-degradable type of plastic!)

Taking your advice and not touching a drop until X-mas Day (but then making up for it!!!)

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #2,294 of 4,904
So you did buy from the guy - 5 bottles of water! (with the instantaneously bio-degradable type of plastic!)

Taking your advice and not touching a drop until X-mas Day (but then making up for it!!!)
abstinence is a virtue, not for me.

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #2,295 of 4,904
I own the Woo Audio WA33, the Blu/Dave Combo, but my headphones are the Abyss Phi, even though I have owned the Blu/Dave for a couple of months now, I have yet to listen using them and the WA33. I usually listen using the PS DS dac, that sounded a lot better to me then using just the Dave. What I am doing now is hooking up a Hugo 2 with rca cables to the WA33 and then connecting it to an Ipad mini 4 for quick listening, it's fast and I don't have to fiddle with changing dacs or cables, just quick connect and listen. I also haven't listened with WA33 using the PS DS dac with the new Red Cloud software, I'm betting that is going to be the best. Oh yeah, I don't own the Blu/ Dave stand lol :) I have to draw the line somewhere. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back