Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #916 of 4,904
They range in price from reasonable to a price that I will probably not be prepared to pay. And I stop short well before silly money territory. All are 1m.

In which case I retain my interest in your verdict. As I have said many times, my current cables cost £20 each and I am very happy with them. My pair of Canare cables are 1m long.

Of course, if as Rob Watts surmises, the issue is RF then an improvement for one person in their system my not imply a similar improvement in all systems.

Happy listening and I look forward to your thoughts.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #918 of 4,904
Just got my blue MII.... all I can say now is get a pair of good BNC... the original BNC just...

Would be very interested in your initial impressions stvc

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #919 of 4,904
In which case I retain my interest in your verdict. As I have said many times, my current cables cost £20 each and I am very happy with them. My pair of Canare cables are 1m long.

Yes, I have the exact same cables purchased on your recommendation, thank you. And they have done a very decent job and will only be replaced if something else gives a significant improvement.

I used to be against the idea of expensive cables like you but, when I obtained an MBL CD transport some time ago (having written off CD replay for several years), I was very surprised at the sound quality so I got 5 AES/EBU cables in to test out that ranged in price from reasonable to quite expensive. The most expensive was £4,000 which I wouldn't pay myself, but it is still far from the very exotic end of the spectrum.

What was interesting was that the performance of each was directly in line with the price except for the cheapest one which I rated 3rd out 5. Otherwise, the ranking correlated with price. I'll let you know if we can improve on your cables. :innocent:

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #920 of 4,904
It is amazing that it is the cable which makes the big difference here…

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #923 of 4,904
Yes, I have the exact same cables purchased on your recommendation, thank you. And they have done a very decent job and will only be replaced if something else gives a significant improvement.

I used to be against the idea of expensive cables like you but, when I obtained an MBL CD transport some time ago (having written off CD replay for several years), I was very surprised at the sound quality so I got 5 AES/EBU cables in to test out that ranged in price from reasonable to quite expensive. The most expensive was £4,000 which I wouldn't pay myself, but it is still far from the very exotic end of the spectrum.

What was interesting was that the performance of each was directly in line with the price except for the cheapest one which I rated 3rd out 5. Otherwise, the ranking correlated with price. I'll let you know if we can improve on your cables. :innocent:

"The most expensive was £4,000 which I wouldn't pay myself, but it is still far from the very exotic end of the spectrum."
This price is almost 60% of the cost of Blu2. FOR A CABLE!

The manufacturer obviously knows that there are people out there with more money than sense. I am glad to hear that you are not one of those. :)

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #924 of 4,904
"The most expensive was £4,000 which I wouldn't pay myself, but it is still far from the very exotic end of the spectrum." This price is almost 60% of the cost of Blu2. FOR A CABLE!

The manufacturer obviously knows that there are people out there with more money than sense. I am glad to hear that you are not one of those. :)

I know! But I suspect that I may be prepared to spend a little bit more than you. :wink:

Given the combined cost of Blu and Dave, I do think that it is worth a few quid on cables if it delivers an improvement. It may make no difference at all, who knows, but I'll find out for myself anyway. I find this forum very useful for information and ideas, but I only ever spend money based upon my own evaluation and what my ears tell me.

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #925 of 4,904
I know! But I suspect that I may be prepared to spend a little bit more than you. :wink:

Given the combined cost of Blu and Dave, I do think that it is worth a few quid on cables if it delivers an improvement. It may make no difference at all, who knows, but I'll find out for myself anyway. I find this forum very useful for information and ideas, but I only ever spend money based upon my own evaluation and what my ears tell me.

Thanks. I too am prepared to spend where it improves the sound quality. I think that is shown by buying Blu2 & Dave. Also, my Spendor SP200 speakers cost quite a bit more than the Blu2 / Dave combination. So I agree that it is worth spending a 'few quid' if it is worth it on cables. At the moment my Canare BNC cables are fine but I will be interested to hear of your conclusions. Just make sure your eyes and brain don't tell your ears what they should be hearing. As an aside, I listed to various £3k speaker cables when buying my speakers but found simple tri wired 6mm2 cables were best to my ears at a total cost of £90.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #927 of 4,904
I meant on cables only - I got the impression that you felt expenditure there was unnecessary. I will let you know how I get on anyway, but by PM though.

Perfect.

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #928 of 4,904

Rather than compare cable brands, might it be cheaper to compare different cable lengths of a single brand.

See this:

http://www.audiopolitan.com/blog/spdif-does-coaxial-digital-cable-length-matter/

Jul 7, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #929 of 4,904

Users who are viewing this thread

Back