Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 5, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #391 of 4,904
A few issues arise from the manual.

1. It's clear from the inventory that although a USB cable is included, there is no pair of BNC terminated cables, which I find disappointing, particularly in light of Rob's previous post on the point. It would be interesting to hear from Chord why none are included.

2. As mentioned above, there's a reference to using a "matched pair" of BNC cables. I've not come across such terminology in respect of cables before. Presumably, it means nothing more than from the same manufacturer and of equal length.

3. Is the Wndows driver the same as used with the Dave?

4. Although DSD is not referred to directly, I assume that its sample rates are included in the list of those available and one switches from PCM to DSD modes on DAVE.

May 5, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #392 of 4,904
Now that getting confused, 1 say shorter cable and some cable maker only make minimum 2m digital cable.

May 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #394 of 4,904
I don't see any conflict with the cable recommendations.

For an impedance matched cable such as 75ohm BNC there shouldn't be any reflection, hence there is no need to adopt the cable length due to reflections hence you should use a short cable?

May 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #395 of 4,904
I would say line reflections happen in every cable. The usual rule of thumb to use lenghts of not less than 1.5 meters may be connected with the sampling rate of 44.1 kHz. Now sampling rates like 705.6 and 768 Hz have to deal with much shorter wavelenghts, therefore maybe the recommendation to use shorter cables.

May 5, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #396 of 4,904
My Blu2 arrived about an hour ago.

You get in the box:-

The Blu2
A printed manual
A power chord
A remote (not a small dinky one like with the Dave)

No USB cable that I could see despite what it says in the published info on Chord's site.

I had already bought a pair of identical BNC 1m terminated cables (£20 variety) so I was good to go. There was a brief moment when I wondered if I should have quick listen just with the Dave to be able to compare the sound with the Blu2 added, but stuff that, the Blu2 was here and I wanted to listen to it.

After switching off the Dave, then connecting the cables and then switching the Dave and Blu2 on it was time to select the dual BNC connection. I had them on BNC 1 and 2 so I selected BNC 1, waited the 3 seconds and up popped the confirming display.

By now the Blu2 had had a 12 second burn in so time to play . . . . .

Shelby Lynne, "Just a little lovin' ", first track.

Good grief, there was no need to have listened to the Dave by itself to refresh my memory. There was a big difference in sound with the Blu2 added. The best way I can describe it is to say that it is like the Dave but more so. Everything I like about the Dave is multiplied by a factor of 5 or 10. Not different, just more of the same if that makes sense.

Next was Laura Marling, "Once I was an eagle", track 4. Same thing again with the sound. It is simply stunning. Simply simply stunning.

I have come through to my computer to post this now but I will be going straight back to listen.

blu2.jpg

blu2 back.jpg

May 5, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #398 of 4,904
Thanks very much for your initial impressions. A few queries:

1. What BNC cables are you using?

2. a factor of 5 or 10 out of how many?

Just cheapish BNC cables bought off eBay. £20 UKP each i.e. £40 for the pair. Rob Watts has consistently said no need to spend more.

A factor of 5 or 10 is a random assessment but a factor of means 5 or 10 times better i.e. not a numerical score. It was just meant to convey that it is not a subtle difference.

Notice also that the power cable is only the as supplied one. I will spend large amounts of money on a Blu2 but NOT on a power or USB cable.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #399 of 4,904
Congrats, Triode User! :upside_down: I envy you. Well, not really. Or just a bit. At least.

May 5, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #400 of 4,904
I would say line reflections happen in every cable. The usual rule of thumb to use lenghts of not less than 1.5 meters may be connected with the sampling rate of 44.1 kHz. Now sampling rates like 705.6 and 768 Hz have to deal with much shorter wavelenghts, therefore maybe the recommendation to use shorter cables.

it will be great if that true, will save many thousand for a pair of high quality BNC. i know Rob been saying USB cable doesn't make different but i have been trying with a few cable, at least to my ear it make some different. Chord specifically mention to use with short BNC, now i don't know if i should still get the cable that in my plan which is 2m long at min, they just don't make short digital cable.

May 5, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #403 of 4,904
it will be great if that true, will save many thousand for a pair of high quality BNC. i know Rob been saying USB cable doesn't make different but i have been trying with a few cable, at least to my ear it make some different. Chord specifically mention to use with short BNC, now i don't know if i should still get the cable that in my plan which is 2m long at min, they just don't make short digital cable.

Unfortunately it is not just your ear that is making an impression on you with an expensive cable, it is also your eyes looking at it and your brain telling you how much it cost. In other words expectation bias will be in full flow. And to that extent you cannot trust your ears.

May 5, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #404 of 4,904
jaZZ just get yourself some utopia headphones,you known you want to.
Coincidentally I've auditioned a pair in my preferred headphone store yesterday – while I was bringing my HE1000 for repair of a loose connection on the right ear cup (two weeks waiting time expected). So I just had my (modified and equalized) HD 800 for comparison, connected to a DAVE. In short: I was rather disappointed by the sound. I couldn't reproduce the reported impulsivity and dynamics – my HD 800 sounded way more lively and dynamic throughout the frequency spectrum. Also, I found the treble to sound rather cold and lacking texture, I'm inclined to call it smeared and sleek. For the sake of fairness I tried a bit of equalizing (lower and mid-treble down by 0.4 dB and the like), but of course that's no substitute for serious equalizing, so it's impossible to draw a final conclusion. I guess that's not what you wanted to read... :frowning2:

May 5, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #405 of 4,904
Triode User, does the Blu MkII run hot? How hot?

It has been on for a few hours. It is warm but not hot. I will have to check but the Dave may be running cooler than it does when used on its own. I will keep an eye on the temperatures and report back.

Just listening to this at the moment with Blu2 and Dave streaming on Tidal via an Auralic Aries. Track 2 is sublime. In fact it all is.

IMG_0075.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back