Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 5, 2017 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4,904

ChordElectronics

Member of the Trade: Chord Electronics
M2yZmLN.png

cFLoclJ.png

UNjZd5s.jpg

Welcome to Blu Mk. II - CD Without Limits - The Blu Mk. II is our advanced second generation FPGA CD transport. Designed for DAVE it upsamples your CD collection (or BNC/S/PDIF input) to 705.4kHz and a mighty ONE MILLION taps.

At its core lies a giant state of the art Xilinx XC7A200T FPGA loaded with the world’s most advanced filter technology by Rob Watts. This, combined with the legendary precision of the CD Pro 2 mechanism and a Chord Electronics proprietary switch mode power supply, creates an experience never heard before from CD - setting a new standard. Blu Mk. II also sports a stunning revised aesthetic developed by Chord’s Chief Designer - John Franks.

Available early 2017

87WIGly.jpg

ygdj7GN.jpg

BLU MK.II - TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

Chipset: Chord Electronics custom coded Xilinx XC7A200T FPGA

Tap-length: 1,015,808 (16FS filter)

FPGA current draw: 10amps

Frequency response: 0Hz (DC) - 20kHz +/- 0.0000001dB

In-band ripple 0Hz-20kHz: +/- 0.0000002dB

Stop band rejection: -135dB

THD and noise (24bit input): -144dB

Noise 2.6 uV ‘A’ weighted: No measurable noise floor modulation

Signal to noise ratio: 126dB ‘A’ Weighted

Power supply: 90v AC - 24v AC Auto-Switching

Power consumption: 30w

Weight: 7000g

Dimensions: 335mm (L) x 170mm (W) x 105mm (H)​

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 4,904
With Blu II and Dave we should finally get an idea of what Red Book is truly capable of and whether there is still meaningful benefit in Hi Res files. I am betting it will be a very close call.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 4,904
I wonder if there will be too much audio delay with 1 million taps to use the BNC input for video viewing. I currently use my DAVE for video viewing at 164000 taps without problems. I guess I could get a video processor that'll delay the video too but that may be more challenging.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 4,904
Don't forget you need to buy 2 x stands. Those stands are not cheap when I last checked them.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 4,904
Having recently purchased a Dave I have considered pre-ordering a Blu Mk 2.

I have no doubts as to the quality and up-scaling, but as I have committed to digital files and USB from Melco and Laptop. I find myself reluctantly unable to pre-order owing to the cabling issue USB to BNC/S/PDIF input..?

The cost of three more interconnects as well as the stands (OK you can do without the stands) but I simply do not need a CD Player.

If there was a simple box with USB in (for digital files) then out to Dave it would be an instant purchase for me and presume other Dave owners, but not sure if that is technically possible perhaps Dave (2)..?

I have considered a second Dave (upgrade from a Hugo TT) but may hold for a while and see what happens.

Thank you Chord for developing new products, Dave was an instant purchase decision for me after 10 minutes of demo...!

I look forward to a demo of the Blu Mk2 perhaps I could be persuaded..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back