Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 29, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #676 of 4,904
I'm only seeing 705.6kHz input on my Dave. Any ideas why I don't see the full 768?

Also, for any expecting their Blu any day soon, don't overlook the instruction to select forward when selecting the appropriate dual data input on your Dave unit. I plugged Blu into BNC 3 & 4 specifically to gain greater distance from the output cables and couldn't get it working until I realised that I was selecting backwards instead of forwards. Once you go forwards, all works ok. Initially, Dave will reflect half rate until the second input kicks in whereupon it switches to full rate.

Currently listening to Classical radio via BluDave and it is a joyous experience! Even radio is sounding lovely. I have compared hi res files with the CD of the same album and there doesn't seem to be any benefit over the CD. I am liking the BluDave the more I play it. I think we should call the combo BluDave for clarity and ease of typing and because it reflects the fact that this is a combined solution.

44.1x16 =705.6
48x16= 768

Try some sources file of sample rate 96 and 192

May 29, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #678 of 4,904
I'm only seeing 705.6kHz input on my Dave. Any ideas why I don't see the full 768?
I am liking the BluDave the more I play it. I think we should call the combo BluDave for clarity and ease of typing and because it reflects the fact that this is a combined solution.

BLU2 scales 16x, so you are seeing the CD's 44.1kHz x 16 = 705.6kHz. you would need a 48kHz input from USB or SPDiF to see the full 768.

And regarding the combo naming. Yeah ...I agree!

May 29, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #679 of 4,904
Also, for any expecting their Blu any day soon, don't overlook the instruction to select forward when selecting the appropriate dual data input on your Dave unit. I plugged Blu into BNC 3 & 4 specifically to gain greater distance from the output cables and couldn't get it working until I realised that I was selecting backwards instead of forwards. Once you go forwards, all works ok. Initially, Dave will reflect half rate until the second input kicks in whereupon it switches to full rate.
I was a bit confused by some of your comments: your preference for negative phase and now the above. When you select/cycle through DAVE's input to BNC3, the display should show dBNC3 right away and the data rate should show 704kHz (I have not seen DAVE reflect half rate until the second input kicks in). If you select input to BNC4, that's when you'll see a data rate 352kHz. If you are to play music, and you're set to BNC4, the music will play and the data rate will stay at 352kHz. If you cycle backwards to BNC3, then it'll switch to 704kHz. Maybe what you're referring to is that if you cycle forward, you'll go through BNC1, BNC2, dBNC3 and DAVE automatically will skip through BNC4 so it'll switch to USB after dBNC3. If you cycle the DAVE input backwards you'll go from USB to BNC4 so if you forget to go back one more, you don't get dBNC3?
The reason why I brought this up is that I wasn't sure whether it's possible to switch the two BNC cables. The top Blu output cable goes to the top DAVE input and the bottom cable goes to the bottom. I just wanted to make sure you're not preferring negative phase with all your recordings now because the two BNC cables are switched. If your BNC cables are not switched, maybe we are talking about the same thing it's just our different perspectives on it. Not sure.

May 29, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #680 of 4,904
HI

A blu mK2 will be in Belgium for Demo next week.
You can contact me by mail for info.

Jean

May 29, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #681 of 4,904
I was a bit confused by some of your comments: your preference for negative phase and now the above. When you select/cycle through DAVE's input to BNC3, the display should show dBNC3 right away and the data rate should show 704kHz (I have not seen DAVE reflect half rate until the second input kicks in). If you select input to BNC4, that's when you'll see a data rate 352kHz. If you are to play music, and you're set to BNC4, the music will play and the data rate will stay at 352kHz. If you cycle backwards to BNC3, then it'll switch to 704kHz. Maybe what you're referring to is that if you cycle forward, you'll go through BNC1, BNC2, dBNC3 and DAVE automatically will skip through BNC4 so it'll switch to USB after dBNC3. If you cycle the DAVE input backwards you'll go from USB to BNC4 so if you forget to go back one more, you don't get dBNC3?
The reason why I brought this up is that I wasn't sure whether it's possible to switch the two BNC cables. The top Blu output cable goes to the top DAVE input and the bottom cable goes to the bottom. I just wanted to make sure you're not preferring negative phase with all your recordings now because the two BNC cables are switched. If your BNC cables are not switched, maybe we are talking about the same thing it's just our different perspectives on it. Not sure.

Hi, thanks for the comments. I was quite careful, but I've double checked and my cables are correctly aligned.

Your Dave unit seems to work differently to mine - I've just cycled inputs and, when I get to BNC3, the display is blue and reads BNC 3, 352.8kHz. After a couple of seconds, it turns a lighter blue/lilac and reads D BNC 3, 705.6kHz. That is possibly implied by the manual which says to wait approximately 3 seconds for Dave to identify the dual data input. Certainly, with mine, it picks up the single line into BNC3 first and then picks up the second line into BNC 4 after a couple of seconds and, if you are playing music, you can hear the switch.

The point I was making is to remember to select forwards and not backwards because going backwards is not effective and leads to a distorted sound, although again, yours seems not to do this. The manual says to navigate forwards and not backwards, I presume for this reason. I am using cheap BNC cables for now, so this may or may not play a part. What BNC cables are you using, cheap or decent? Mine were £40 for two 1m cables which I bought just to test the Blu II out but, now that I know I will be buying one, I do intend to get better cables.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #682 of 4,904
With my unit arriving (hopefully) soon, all the above is good to know. I did wonder why you had to go forwards rather than backwards when selecting the input. Since I won't be using any other input on the DAVE, once done, I can forget about it.

I agree about the fixed display. It's nice to see the recording's sampling frequency displayed, but I can always use JRemote on my iPad o view that, as well as bit depth. I have some albums in both red book and hi-res so it will be interesting to compare.

May 29, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #683 of 4,904
With my unit arriving (hopefully) soon, all the above is good to know. I did wonder why you had to go forwards rather than backwards when selecting the input. Since I won't be using any other input on the DAVE, once done, I can forget about it.

I agree about the fixed display. It's nice to see the recording's sampling frequency displayed, but I can always use JRemote on my iPad o view that, as well as bit depth. I have some albums in both red book and hi-res so it will be interesting to compare.

Prepare to be surprised at how good CD's and ripped files sound. I'm not sure whether I'll be buying anymore high res files now.

I know some consider it a bit uncouth, but I like the colour display on the Dave and do miss the colour variety that comes with differing files. You are right though, like you, I'll probably only use the Blu input on Dave now and the Blu input sensitive switching is very effective - it is all very wife friendly!

May 29, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #684 of 4,904
Hi, thanks for the comments. I was quite careful, but I've double checked and my cables are correctly aligned.

Your Dave unit seems to work differently to mine - I've just cycled inputs and, when I get to BNC3, the display is blue and reads BNC 3, 352.8kHz. After a couple of seconds, it turns a lighter blue/lilac and reads D BNC 3, 705.6kHz. That is possibly implied by the manual which says to wait approximately 3 seconds for Dave to identify the dual data input. Certainly, with mine, it picks up the single line into BNC3 first and then picks up the second line into BNC 4 after a couple of seconds and, if you are playing music, you can hear the switch.

Okay. It sounds like we are talking about the same thing then. Cool.

May 29, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #686 of 4,904
Prepare to be surprised at how good CD's and ripped files sound. I'm not sure whether I'll be buying anymore high res files now.

I know some consider it a bit uncouth, but I like the colour display on the Dave and do miss the colour variety that comes with differing files. You are right though, like you, I'll probably only use the Blu input on Dave now and the Blu input sensitive switching is very effective - it is all very wife friendly!

Do you let your wife use the hi-fi? :anguished:

May 29, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #688 of 4,904
Have anyone of you guys that have received your units tested how Chord Blu 2 handles DSD on the USB input?

Can it for example, decode DSD or recognize DoP and forward it to Dave i.e. use Dave in DSD+ mode for the best possible DSD and PCM handling?

Otherwise you would need a separate USB to Dave for DSD.

May 29, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #689 of 4,904
I have put the BluDave combo through a lot of heavy testing and listening over the last few days because I had a Blu in for trying out and have had to make a decision as to whether I wanted one or not. The one I have has to go back as it's the wrong colour, however I do want one and I have ordered one in silver, but it won't be a totally straightforward decision for everyone I think because one has to weigh up the gains against the price and there will be several variables involved in that assessment.

I've played files direct to Dave and via Blu, same with CD's using my CD transport and, finally, CD's direct from Blu and I've used all of the input types available on Dave. Contrary to some of the comments on here about CD being dead, I have actually really enjoyed digging out some of my old CD's and playing them and it's been a bit of a trip down memory lane. Each to their own.

I play PCM only, not DSD but anyway, here's what I've found the Blu adds to the Dave (warning, non technical appraisal):

Warmer and slightly darker tone
Smoother and more refined presentation
More transparent with instruments more clearly placed, separated and defined.
Clearer and deeper bass with greater separation of the bass as an instrument which can be clearly placed in its own space in the room
No smearing or blurring of notes and parts, everything is very clearly defined
Cymbals, tambourines etc are smoother with no harsh edges
Voices sound like people in the room with you
More relaxed presentation which is non-fatiguing. Can play louder as a consequence (not the same as the Blu being 2-3db lower in output)
Creates an authentic soundstage
More 3 dimensional
More lifelike - it's like being there with the musicians
More emotive and greater involvement with the music. Certain pieces have shocked me at the depth of feeling that is conveyed, female voices especially
Harder to have running as background music due to point above - keep getting distracted and drawn in, classical music in particular
Red book elevated to a different level and I'm questioning the need for buying hires files now

One point of interest that has arisen has been a welcome surprise. I'm a guitar player and like rock and blues and when I was a kid, I played a lot of rock and I generally used to prefer live albums to studio, there seemed to be more life and energy that was often lost in the studio. Anyway, as I progressed into a digital system and away from LP's, I started to veer away from the live albums as I didn't like them as much which I thought was just my taste changing over time. I haven't played live albums in years but, with the BluDave combo, I've been digging out some of those old CD's and they sound terrific. I was trying to rationalise that and I think that it is the fact that the presentation is so open, smoother and analogue like. Whatever, I am happy about it and have rediscovered some very old friends this weekend.

Having said all that, my wife still feels that the best sound comes from my CD transport direct into Dave - that was always the best sound that I got prior to Blu. Her reason was that it sounded 'more detailed'. It actually isn't, but I think that the slight hints of digital presentation without the Blu create an initial impression of detail due to the slightly sharper digital edges that still remain and which the Blu smooths away. I have done far more listening than her over the last few days and the BluDave has tremendous natural depth and detail. Nonetheless, it's not necessarily a no brainer decision and my wife wouldn't spend the money!

For me, I will be trading my CD transport which makes it an easier financial pill to swallow. If it were a standalone M Scaler at similar price, I'd have to think long and hard over the value vs gains delivered, although I think I'd still get one anyway! I think that the BluDave combo is something that you definitely need to audition, even if only to hear how good digital can sound. After so many years, I finally think that the original promise of digital has been realised. Sorry for the long post but hope it may be useful to someone like me who was wondering what to do.

May 29, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #690 of 4,904
I have put the BluDave combo through a lot of heavy testing and listening over the last few days because I had a Blu in for trying out and have had to make a decision as to whether I wanted one or not. The one I have has to go back as it's the wrong colour, however I do want one and I have ordered one in silver, but it won't be a totally straightforward decision for everyone I think because one has to weigh up the gains against the price and there will be several variables involved in that assessment.

I've played files direct to Dave and via Blu, same with CD's using my CD transport and, finally, CD's direct from Blu and I've used all of the input types available on Dave. Contrary to some of the comments on here about CD being dead, I have actually really enjoyed digging out some of my old CD's and playing them and it's been a bit of a trip down memory lane. Each to their own.

I play PCM only, not DSD but anyway, here's what I've found the Blu adds to the Dave (warning, non technical appraisal):

Warmer and slightly darker tone
Smoother and more refined presentation
More transparent with instruments more clearly placed, separated and defined.
Clearer and deeper bass with greater separation of the bass as an instrument which can be clearly placed in its own space in the room
No smearing or blurring of notes and parts, everything is very clearly defined
Cymbals, tambourines etc are smoother with no harsh edges
Voices sound like people in the room with you
More relaxed presentation which is non-fatiguing. Can play louder as a consequence (not the same as the Blu being 2-3db lower in output)
Creates an authentic soundstage
More 3 dimensional
More lifelike - it's like being there with the musicians
More emotive and greater involvement with the music. Certain pieces have shocked me at the depth of feeling that is conveyed, female voices especially
Harder to have running as background music due to point above - keep getting distracted and drawn in, classical music in particular
Red book elevated to a different level and I'm questioning the need for buying hires files now

One point of interest that has arisen has been a welcome surprise. I'm a guitar player and like rock and blues and when I was a kid, I played a lot of rock and I generally used to prefer live albums to studio, there seemed to be more life and energy that was often lost in the studio. Anyway, as I progressed into a digital system and away from LP's, I started to veer away from the live albums as I didn't like them as much which I thought was just my taste changing over time. I haven't played live albums in years but, with the BluDave combo, I've been digging out some of those old CD's and they sound terrific. I was trying to rationalise that and I think that it is the fact that the presentation is so open, smoother and analogue like. Whatever, I am happy about it and have rediscovered some very old friends this weekend.

Having said all that, my wife still feels that the best sound comes from my CD transport direct into Dave - that was always the best sound that I got prior to Blu. Her reason was that it sounded 'more detailed'. It actually isn't, but I think that the slight hints of digital presentation without the Blu create an initial impression of detail due to the slightly sharper digital edges that still remain and which the Blu smooths away. I have done far more listening than her over the last few days and the BluDave has tremendous natural depth and detail. Nonetheless, it's not necessarily a no brainer decision and my wife wouldn't spend the money!

For me, I will be trading my CD transport which makes it an easier financial pill to swallow. If it were a standalone M Scaler at similar price, I'd have to think long and hard over the value vs gains delivered, although I think I'd still get one anyway! I think that the BluDave combo is something that you definitely need to audition, even if only to hear how good digital can sound. After so many years, I finally think that the original promise of digital has been realised. Sorry for the long post but hope it may be useful to someone like me who was wondering what to do.

Excellent post, full of detail, and none of it edgy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back