Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #4,381 of 4,904
Yes, I’ve tried a different cable and still same issue.

You keep referring to cable in the singular. Just checking that you are using the dual BNC connection?

I think I saw that you bought it second hand and privately so no dealer is involved. I see you have emailed Chord and I will be interested to hear what it turns out to be.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #4,382 of 4,904
You keep referring to cable in the singular. Just checking that you are using the dual BNC connection?

I think I saw that you bought it second hand and privately so no dealer is involved. I see you have emailed Chord and I will be interested to hear what it turns out to be.
He is using a Qutest as a DAC, not a Dave. It supports only a single wire connection. Check his previous posts.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #4,385 of 4,904

I'm taking it down to Chord tomorrow. Will you keep you informed on what they say.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #4,386 of 4,904
I'm taking it down to Chord tomorrow. Will you keep you informed on what they say.

Spot on. Hopefully a quick check up and an oil change and you will be back on the road.

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #4,389 of 4,904
Part 1

Attachments

• DA8D48F9-D70B-4240-BD51-4D73EB995ED7.png
    DA8D48F9-D70B-4240-BD51-4D73EB995ED7.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #4,393 of 4,904
Sep 8, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #4,394 of 4,904
HiFi Plus Blu Mk2 review.
I couldn't get on with that link as it wanted me to disable adblock.
This works and goes straight to the review.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AfoiMrNkAhqvDJd6NKNIoJoCloCmGRKg/view

An interesting review, which largely accords with my own listening impressions. The m-scaler increases width,depth and detail, but there’s also a peculiiar tonal shift, introducing glare and cutting off the bass. Some might think this is tighter bass, but for me the bottom octaves just go missing. Ferrites or carbon cables can ameliorate the glare, but there’s still a slightly synthetic feel which is a step back from the tonal and timbral spread and accuracy you get with the Dave. It’s as if a bright light has been shone on the recording, dissolving shadows and with everything etched in stark relief which after a while becomes fatiguing. It will be interesting to see if these issues are resolved with the HMS, even with its internal ferrites.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #4,395 of 4,904
HiFi Plus Blu Mk2 review.
I couldn't get on with that link as it wanted me to disable adblock.
This works and goes straight to the review.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AfoiMrNkAhqvDJd6NKNIoJoCloCmGRKg/view

Thanks for uploading the link.
Interesting review that tallies with my own experiences during still very limited auditions with headphones and some both ADD and early native 16/44.1 digital recordings of acoustic music.
I have both the Paray on SACD and the Grieg Concerto recording on LP. And yes the Philips LP is a bit soft and woolly and dated and multimic'd in SQ imho.
Nice performance ,although Katia Buniatisvili live at the Proms now up on youtube delivers Grieg's masterpiece more seductively beautiful than ever before to my taste.

The Paray SACD disc on the other hand makes up for its OLD AGE with simpler miking not messing things up as much as Philips did by making sure almost every instrument had its own mic.

But there is no mentioning at all of BLU2 with proper hi res material.

And that is where I still harbour some lingering doubts regarding M-Scaler.

For me to be really tempted by an M-Scaler it has to bring not only 16/44.1 VERY close to the best of current standard hi res.
But also even more importantly sound clearly better with hi res than all other much cheaper DAC upsampling combos/solutions.
And it must improve SQ in ALL of its important aspects of timbre,resolution and transparency not only depth, to make me bite.
For headphone listening I would even stick my neck out and say that in some respects of transparency and soundstage depth some of the low res binaural Proms broadcasts sound clearly more realistic as in the sense of "being there", than most of my,standard stereo, hi res recordings of the same works do via headphones and my Qutest/Benchmark headphone amp combo.
You can't really retrieve information that was never captured in the first place can you?
I'd love to hear from BLU2 owners exactly how much of an improvement BLU2 brings to streaming BBC 3 Proms which has been my main staple for months now with Last Night of the Proms on tonight.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back