Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #4,336 of 4,904
I once just slightly touched a bnc connector that was in the back of someones Blu2 and got a nasty crackle because the bnc connector was not a good fit. So maybe check that all your BNC connectors are good, ie wiggle them when playing music.

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #4,337 of 4,904
Not sure if the p20 has upgraded architecture from the p10, but I absolutely love my 20. Its here to stay.

If folks are heading toward the m scaler I suspect there will be more discussion about what usb cable youre using.

I'm currently using the silver line usb cable, with suppressors installed by clearer audio in the UK.

I find it to be quite good, but I would like to hear other opinions.
Has anyone compared this cable and found a better company to go with? I was considering the curious cable. A 3 meter run is about 700 bucks. They do offer a trial period.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #4,338 of 4,904
it is strange because i didnt hear drop outs for the past year but all of a sudden i heard several occasions with drop outs ...i have no idea why all of a sudden or if theire is anything that changed but i figured the easiest potential fix would be to switch to 3&4....otherwise it still sounds as wonderful as ever
How about some deoxit contact cleaner?

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #4,339 of 4,904
Could be worth a try

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #4,340 of 4,904
I'm currently using the silver line usb cable, with suppressors installed by clearer audio in the UK.

I find it to be quite good, but I would like to hear other opinions.
Has anyone compared this cable and found a better company to go with? I was considering the curious cable. A 3 meter run is about 700 bucks. They do offer a trial period.
Trial period is the simple answer!

But I doubt you can beat the $25 or so solution I have linked in my signature using a less than $10 USB cable and 20 ferrites.

Now playing: Low - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #4,341 of 4,904
it is strange because i didnt hear drop outs for the past year but all of a sudden i heard several occasions with drop outs ...i have no idea why all of a sudden or if theire is anything that changed but i figured the easiest potential fix would be to switch to 3&4....otherwise it still sounds as wonderful as ever

When I first connected Blu2 to DAVE (with high quality coax cables) using 1&2 I had some dropouts (less than a second) every minute or so. I changed the connection to 3&4 and that dropouts dissapeared immediately. It's been more than a year since that.

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #4,342 of 4,904
I made the change and hope I have the same results

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #4,343 of 4,904
When I first connected Blu2 to DAVE (with high quality coax cables) using 1&2 I had some dropouts (less than a second) every minute or so. I changed the connection to 3&4 and that dropouts dissapeared immediately. It's been more than a year since that.

I’m not particularly sure whether the issue is whether 1&2 or 3&4 are used so much as whether any of the contacts are ‘iffy’. Also it depends on what you mean by high quality cables - it might be that the security of the connectors is more important than the cable. The truth is though that I don’t know because I haven’t had any drop out issues.

Good luck though.

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #4,344 of 4,904
I’m not particularly sure whether the issue is whether 1&2 or 3&4 are used so much as whether any of the contacts are ‘iffy’. Also it depends on what you mean by high quality cables - it might be that the security of the connectors is more important than the cable. The truth is though that I don’t know because I haven’t had any drop out issues.

Good luck though.

Yes, it could be that connectors were not perfectly connected in the 1&2 position -the Zensati cables are stiff and could be slightly "forced" in that position-. Anyway I simply changed them and never had any issue.
Hope that resolves your problem @jlbrach

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #4,345 of 4,904
You don’t need a CD player in order to play CDs. Rip them on your computer and transfer the files to hard disc.

There may of course, be other reasons why you would want to use a CD transport, but you don’t need to have one simply in order to play music which is only available on CD. And likewise, you can burn any files to CD, though if they’re not Red Book they will be converted. I’ve done this myself for the purpose of comparison between the two formats.
You don’t need a CD player in order to play CDs. Rip them on your computer and transfer the files to hard disc.

There may of course, be other reasons why you would want to use a CD transport, but you don’t need to have one simply in order to play music which is only available on CD. And likewise, you can burn any files to CD, though if they’re not Red Book they will be converted. I’ve done this myself for the purpose of comparison between the two formats.
I have been unable to equal the sq of the blu2 cd player with input from a lossless copy of that same cd played through the blue2. I copy to Imusic with the mac and get a lossless copy of the file with 41k / 16 bit resolution, checked for errors. This file is then played to the blue2 using the apple media player which sends 41k / 32bit depth to the blu2 (this change in bit depth seems to be forced by the blu2 driver since it doesn't allow me to specify a 16 bit depth but it "should" be lossless). once in the blu2 the rest of the path should be identical: (blu2 to dave to blue hawaii to stax 009s). to my ears the cd always sounds a lot better. I would love some advice if anyone has noticed the same thing and has an idea how to proceed.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #4,346 of 4,904
I have been unable to equal the sq of the blu2 cd player with input from a lossless copy of that same cd played through the blue2. I copy to Imusic with the mac and get a lossless copy of the file with 41k / 16 bit resolution, checked for errors. This file is then played to the blue2 using the apple media player which sends 41k / 32bit depth to the blu2 (this change in bit depth seems to be forced by the blu2 driver since it doesn't allow me to specify a 16 bit depth but it "should" be lossless). once in the blu2 the rest of the path should be identical: (blu2 to dave to blue hawaii to stax 009s). to my ears the cd always sounds a lot better. I would love some advice if anyone has noticed the same thing and has an idea how to proceed.

Have you tried turning off WiFi and other irrelevant programs? I use Airplane mode on my Windows machine and it makes a subtle but noticeable improvement to the sound, music sounds more calm and enjoyable.

What software are you using? Audirvana sounds great on Windows and on Mac it should sound just as good if not better since they had years to optimize it.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #4,347 of 4,904
Have you tried turning off WiFi and other irrelevant programs? I use Airplane mode on my Windows machine and it makes a subtle but noticeable improvement to the sound, music sounds more calm and enjoyable.

What software are you using? Audirvana sounds great on Windows and on Mac it should sound just as good if not better since they had years to optimize it.

I dont use any software, I play the file i want to hear from i tunes using the Imusic player and the built in audio midi player in the apple operating system, I understand this combination is not supposed to change any bits in the file I am playing so Blu2 can do all the bit manipulating on a virgin file.
if there is a better way (I am happy with the functions of my present set up but would change if it is doing something to the file I am unaware of) I'll try it but I manage the files in Imusic at present

I'll try the airplane mode sounds like it would help

thanks
jrf

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #4,348 of 4,904
I dont use any software, I play the file i want to hear from i tunes using the Imusic player and the built in audio midi player in the apple operating system, I understand this combination is not supposed to change any bits in the file I am playing so Blu2 can do all the bit manipulating on a virgin file.
if there is a better way (I am happy with the functions of my present set up but would change if it is doing something to the file I am unaware of) I'll try it but I manage the files in Imusic at present

I'll try the airplane mode sounds like it would help

thanks
jrf

They offer a free trial so you could try it out and see if it brings you any closer to the sound of the Blu playing from CD's. With Audirvana you have more control of the signal path and protocol's used, it also does some optimizations of its own to improve SQ.

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #4,349 of 4,904
I have been unable to equal the sq of the blu2 cd player with input from a lossless copy of that same cd played through the blue2.

This is my experience as well. My goal was (and is) to get as close as possible to the sound of CD direct. As with all experiences impacted by RF noise, your mileage will definitely vary, but Blu2 CD (disconnected from any other digital source) is still the ultimate reference for Redbook audio

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #4,350 of 4,904
i have a much siimpler system than you (apple lossless on Itunes file on macbook pro via usb to blu2 to dave to blue hawaii to stax 009s)
you use roon - would that offer me a better sq than the itunes/apple system midi output (just interested in sq not other features at present)
anything else you find helps ?
not that important, i just hate refiling cds
JRFMD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back