Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 21, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #4,306 of 4,904
quick question,if i want to chance from BNC 1&2 to BNC 3&4 how do i do it?...do I just change where I plug the wires or do I also have to change a setting and if so which setting and where is the setting...thanks ahead of time for any help

Just unplug the cables and put them in the bnc inputs you want in Dave. Then with Dave scroll through the inputs until you get to bnc 3. Job done and Dave will show the feed to bnc 3 and a few seconds later will lock onto the dual input. In my experience no need to switch off or to bother whether you scroll forwards or backwards through the order of inputs but I think the manual says to scroll forwards.

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #4,307 of 4,904
thanks

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #4,308 of 4,904
Is anyone on here using their chord blu/dave with ps audio products?
I have the ps audio p20 power plant, the bhk pre-amp, and the bhk monoblocks.

I have the ps audios dsd dac/transport and I'm curious what others' experiences have been comparing/contrasting ps audios dac transport to chords dac transport.

Its a very broad and general comparison. Just a long shot.

Thanks,
Adam

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #4,309 of 4,904
Is anyone on here using their chord blu/dave with ps audio products?
I have the ps audio p20 power plant, the bhk pre-amp, and the bhk monoblocks.

I have the ps audios dsd dac/transport and I'm curious what others' experiences have been comparing/contrasting ps audios dac transport to chords dac transport.

Its a very broad and general comparison. Just a long shot.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam, I do not have the ps Audio dsd dac or transport but I have had an extensive trial comparing it to Blu Mk2 and Dave. For me the Blu Dave gave more detail in heavily congested orchestral passages. I don’t mind admitting that the ps audio kit initially sounded quite good but after extensive listening the depth of the Blu Dave combination was unbeatable. That listening session was also before I had got the RF noise addressed in my Blu2 so I confidently expect the gap in performance to open out even more. Also the session was using bhk pre-amp, and the bhk monoblocks so it is pertinent to your question.

I used to have a P10 but was disappointed to find it was injecting more noise into the mains than I had without it. I cannot speak for the p20.

All I can suggest is that you compare a Blu Mk2 and Dave in your system and against your kit or maybe take your ps audio transport and dac to a chord dealer to try and compare in his system.

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #4,310 of 4,904
What do you use in place of the P10? I'm looking for a cost effective power solution to use with mscaler/H2. Many thanks.

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #4,311 of 4,904
What do you use in place of the P10? I'm looking for a cost effective power solution to use with mscaler/H2. Many thanks.
PS Audio Powerplants are misunderstood they are regenerators not emi filters. They regenerate the AC so your equipment has a very low impedance ac source. Whatever emi/rfi that goes in comes out the same or double depending on which model. I use a zero surge filter infront of the powerplant 8x reduction in emi/rfi then into the powerplant Premier for a 2x increase (still a 4x decrease in emi/rfi) none of the powerplants or zerosurge filters are appropriate for high current power amps but work great for all your source equipment.
I would recommend this power supply for your Hugo2:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BS3ZXT6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This usb cord from the power supply:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LYUG3A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and a Pangea AC 14SE power cord for the HMS

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #4,312 of 4,904
I need a simple solution to be honest. A 6 way individually switched strip with surge protection and rf filter is more than enough for a h2/scaler for me. I will look at your choices many thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #4,314 of 4,904
PS Audio Powerplants are misunderstood they are regenerators not emi filters. They regenerate the AC so your equipment has a very low impedance ac source. Whatever emi/rfi that goes in comes out the same or double depending on which model. I use a zero surge filter infront of the powerplant 8x reduction in emi/rfi then into the powerplant Premier for a 2x increase (still a 4x decrease in emi/rfi) none of the powerplants or zerosurge filters are appropriate for high current power amps but work great for all your source equipment.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BS3ZXT6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LYUG3A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for your note on the P10. Of course I know what they are but I was rather surprised that they took the incoming mains, turned it to DC, injected a new sine wave which is amplified to form the new regenerated mains and yet which had more noise on it than the incoming mains. Surely that cannot be right?

You say "Whatever emi/rfi that goes in comes out the same or double depending on which model." but why is that? They are making a new sine wave from a DC feed within the regenerator.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #4,315 of 4,904
Thanks for your note on the P10. Of course I know what they are but I was rather surprised that they took the incoming mains, turned it to DC, injected a new sine wave which is amplified to form the new regenerated mains and yet which had more noise on it than the incoming mains. Surely that cannot be right?

You say "Whatever emi/rfi that goes in comes out the same or double depending on which model." but why is that? They are making a new sine wave from a DC feed within the regenerator.
One of the great mysteries of life! I should have taken more EE courses being a motor head I chose ME. Maybe the regenerator is adding some odd harmonics to refresh power supplies quicker and emi/rfi meters are reading this as noise?

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4,316 of 4,904
One of the great mysteries of life! I should have taken more EE courses being a motor head I chose ME. Maybe the regenerator is adding some odd harmonics to refresh power supplies quicker and emi/rfi meters are reading this as noise?

Thanks, anyway, too late now. I sold it.

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #4,317 of 4,904

I use a P10 to power my Zenith SE Mk II, and my Chord Dave and was planning on using it to power my MScaler when it arrives. I have reached out to PSAudio to see what their take on your note above is. I take your comments (and Triode User's) very seriously and like to give the manufacturer a chance to respond. I'm tempted to do the A/B test that Triode User mentioned, but I have other reasons for using the P10. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #4,318 of 4,904

Which would benefit more from the Pangea AC 14SE power cord the DAVE or the HUGO M-scaler if you could only have one cord?

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #4,319 of 4,904
I use a P10 to power my Zenith SE Mk II, and my Chord Dave and was planning on using it to power my MScaler when it arrives. I have reached out to PSAudio to see what their take on your note above is. I take your comments (and Triode User's) very seriously and like to give the manufacturer a chance to respond. I'm tempted to do the A/B test that Triode User mentioned, but I have other reasons for using the P10. Will keep you posted.

I also had other reasons for using the P10 which was that I needed to reduce my mains voltage because my mains here is right on the limit (253v instead of 230v) and that was causing issues with my tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back