Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #4,111 of 4,904
I've been offered a blu mk2 new for £3500. Not really into CD's, so not sure I should go for the Blu, or wait for the HMS?

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #4,112 of 4,904
3500 is a steal because the CD drive alone costs that much in other high end systems...the PS Audio DMP costs 6000 along

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #4,115 of 4,904
I can no longer tell the difference between playing the same track on CD and WAV ripped file played on my Innuos Zenith SE (which is still up for sale and must be the cheapest available in the UK) feeding into the BLU2. I'm ripping my CD's on a separate Pc using DBPoweramp and transferring the WAV file to the Innuos over my ethernet mains home network.
Off topic, but this might be the best thread for it. Am I right in thinking that with the new M-Scaler, if you feed an optical signal to it, from lets say a stock mac mini, then that should negate the need for an expensive USB server like the Innuos SE or Statement since the optical transmission will get rid of all noise. I understand that optical is limited to 192K.
This was my thinking exactly. Battery source fed optical to M-Scaler, fed dual bnc to Dave.

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #4,116 of 4,904
This was my thinking exactly. Battery source fed optical to M-Scaler, fed dual bnc to Dave.

The difference in price between a mac mini and and Innuos SE is in the same ballpark as the difference between a Hugo TT2 and a DAVE. I know where I’d put my money. And you should just get a digital source that offers you the software you find best to use.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #4,117 of 4,904
Is an imac feeding optical into the mscaler a good option. It will be with roon bit perfect. Usb and optical have been stated to offer the same performance with the scaler. Replies much appreciated as i'm entering unchartred territory here. Also is there any problem using light applications web, word etc with a computer providing an optical audio source.

Finally can anyone recommend bnc cables available in the UK that offer excellent performance for the budget minded. I remember reading about amphenol or something similar. Do they have to be 75 ohm impedence.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #4,118 of 4,904
Is an imac feeding optical into the mscaler a good option. It will be with roon bit perfect. Usb and optical have been stated to offer the same performance with the scaler. Replies much appreciated as i'm entering unchartred territory here. Also is there any problem using light applications web, word etc with a computer providing an optical audio source.

Finally can anyone recommend bnc cables available in the UK that offer excellent performance for the budget minded. I remember reading about amphenol or something similar. Do they have to be 75 ohm impedence.

I have the Amphenol RF and it punches way above it's weight. It's a thin cable but don't let that bother you. $23/per.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...V2QqPusq4bQ==&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #4,120 of 4,904

I see that Blue Jeans Cable have a UK site now so I ordered my BNC cables from them in anticipation of my HMS arriving next month. Took the opportunity to stock up on a bunch of Ethernet cables as I found a dodgy brand new cable on one of my sonic transporters causing intermittent disconnections. I just want well made and properly tested cables, nothing exotic.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #4,121 of 4,904
in anticipation of my HMS arriving next month

I have been quoted 'autumn' for my order placed on the Saturday of CanJam London. I am taking that as hopefully meaning some time before 2019.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #4,123 of 4,904
And as is often the case with new Chord products, those ordering silver are likely to get theirs before those ordering black. I’ve gone for silver.
I went for black as my Qutest is black, mind you I am not that fussed as my Hugo 2 is silver and and I have one silver fronted and one black Mjölnir Carbon.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #4,124 of 4,904
I have the Amphenol RF and it punches way above it's weight. It's a thin cable but don't let that bother you. $23/per.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/amphenol/095-850-187m100/?qs=5aG0NVq1C4xV2QqPusq4bQ==&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD

I have also tried the Amphenol RF coax cables and agree that they do punch above their weight and are great value for money. I found them to be a bit more open and revealing than my Chord Signature, but after a while I reverted back to the Chord as they just sounded sweeter with a better bass definition.

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #4,125 of 4,904
And I'm still wondering about the interaction between the volume controls on DAVE and the HMS... Are they both active? Should they be? Are they implemented with the same technology? Do they operate on different points in the digital chain?

The HMS DX output volume would not affect a Dave, as it is not a DX receiver. You will use the DX volume for amp only DX amps, such as monoblocks. The first DX power amps will have their own volume control, or act as slaves from the DX data.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back