Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #2,686 of 4,904
My experience of Blu2/Dave is somewhat different to the above recent posts.
I rip my CD's to the Zenith SE and have found that some of my favourite albums from the 70/80's sound terrible when compared to the modern stuff.
I like dance and rock music and most of the earlier CD's that I've tried so far just sound flat (no dynamics) and compressed. I'm no expert in this field but my guess is that the production/mix of the master is different on the newer stuff. I listen through speakers btw and not headphones.
It's because the Blu2/Dave is so good and revealing, that I've found it's highlighting these differences/deficiencies.

For music that I've been ripping from CD's that came out in the last few years; I'm very impressed. The Blu2/Dave combination sounds amazing, but it's making me abandon all of my earlier stuff because it sounds so bad in comparison.

I'm now in the search of sources of new top quality rock/dance music that I can stream.

I also like how the Blu2/Dave combo makes violins and piano's sound so authentic (classic house) and although I've never really found classical music that appealing; maybe I'll become converted!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,688 of 4,904
My experience of Blu2/Dave is somewhat different to the above recent posts.
I rip my CD's to the Zenith SE and have found that some of my favourite albums from the 70/80's sound terrible when compared to the modern stuff.
I like dance and rock music and most of the earlier CD's that I've tried so far just sound flat (no dynamics) and compressed. I'm no expert in this field but my guess is that the production/mix of the master is different on the newer stuff. I listen through speakers btw and not headphones.

For music that I've been ripping from CD's that came out in the last few years; I'm very impressed. The Blu2/Dave combination sounds amazing, but it's making me abandon all of my earlier stuff because it sounds so bad in comparison.

I'm now in the search of sources of new top quality rock/dance music that I can stream.

I also like how the Blu2/Dave combo makes violins and piano's sound so authentic (classic house) and although I've never really found classical music that appealing; maybe I'll become converted!

Interesting.

Of course it partly depends on the whole system. For instance I only got that final, OH YESSSS, feeling after getting a new Pass Labs amplifier. Until then the subtlety and detail was masked. Recently a change of interconnects away from my favoured Chord Sarum Super Aray brought further joy.

However I admit I have no idea exactly what sort of music you listen to. 'Rock music' covers a wide range, much of which I like but also much of which makes me want to drive red hot pins through my ears.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2,689 of 4,904
Anyone having intermittent CD read problems? From the chatter sound after closing the lid it seems like the puck does not engage.

My CD has recently gone flakey: first 1/3rd of tracks play fine, then goes flakey middle 1/3rd (clicks and pops), then gets progressively worse and errors out in last 1/3rd. Obviously a transport issue, so hopefully a quick repair.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2,690 of 4,904
Anyone having intermittent CD read problems? From the chatter sound after closing the lid it seems like the puck does not engage.

Yes, I did have that with my Blu some months ago when I first got it. The chattering sound is because the puck is not seating properly as you suspect. If you lift the lid and close it again, sometimes 2 or 3 times is necessary, then the floating puck may well engage properly and the disc will then spin correctly. Mine had to go back to have the puck reseated. I would query it with your AD.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #2,696 of 4,904
Clicks and pops? Your system is turning into vinyl! :D

Clicks and pops are par for the course with DSD. But the DAVE has the least I've heard with that format...barely any actually. The Holo Spring DAC on the other hand had quite a bit more using DSD, but this wasn't an issue for me as it was also infrequent.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #2,697 of 4,904
OT:

Just a sidenote in the struggle of the perfect sound.

Funny thing is that i have one of the best sound of a streamer / File server money can buy and the sound is stupidly great, but ounce i play a SACD like a Steve Strauss or some classical piece, the sound is like comparing a Master Tape with a CD , the warm and more fuller sound feels more naturally than the more timed but slight skeleton sound from streaming even though the streaming / server SQ is great but a well recorded SACD DSD just sound so real and lifelike in comparison, more like master tape or an LP.

Sounds closer to heaven ⭐

Just a reflection.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #2,698 of 4,904
Funny thing is that i have one of the best sound of a streamer / File server money can buy and the sound is stupidly great, but ounce i play a SACD like a Steve Strauss or som classical, the sound is like comparing a Master Tape with a CD , the warm and more fuller sound feels more naturally than the more timed but slight skeleton sound from streaming even though the streaming / server SQ is great but a well recorded SACD DSD just sound so real and lifelike in comparison, more like master tape or an LP.

Sounds closer to heaven ⭐

Just a reflection.
I’m a little confused by your post. What device are you using to play your SACDs? Do you have BluDave? I ask because Blu converts all DSD to PCM. Also, Blu2 directly plays CDs but not SACDs. If you have your SACDs ripped to a DSD file then your server can feed that DSD file directly to Blu2 (which then converts it to upsampled PCM and sends the PCM data to Dave).

As a side note, I’m aware that you’re a reel to reel enthusiast. In your estimation, how does the sound of SACD through BluDave compare to the sound of well recorded reel to reel?

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #2,700 of 4,904
As a side note, I’m aware that you’re a reel to reel enthusiast. In your estimation, how does the sound of SACD through BluDave compare to the sound of well recorded reel to reel?

Yes please! I haven’t listened to reel to reel in 30+ years but the BluDAVE has me wondering the same.

I was watching the Analogue Productions you tube video about their first generation reel to reel copies, and was blown away to see them copying the original master to the Living Stereo Reiner Scheherazade (holy crap!!!!!!!!)

Since then I’ve been more than a little obsessed to compare the reel to reel version to BluDAVE through my Voxativs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back