Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 15, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #2,386 of 4,904
Want to put your money where your mouth is for that prediction? How about a 50pence bet? I am very sure of not losing my 50p.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A fiver to the charity of the winners choice says an M Scaler will be announced this year. First they need to get all those Hugo2s and Qutests out there with currently useless BNC inputs ... then .. lo and behold! a use will be found for them. Mind you they are currently in the third level of hell with the Poly fiasco so fixing that might delay them somewhat, but with software it is always darkest before the dawn so one just has to trust that they will dig themselves out of that hole and deliver the M Scaler technology they have invested in in a more logical package. It's a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #2,387 of 4,904
A fiver to the charity of the winners choice says an M Scaler will be announced this year. First they need to get all those Hugo2s and Qutests out there with currently useless BNC inputs ... then .. lo and behold! a use will be found for them. Mind you they are currently in the third level of hell with the Poly fiasco so fixing that might delay them somewhat, but with software it is always darkest before the dawn so one just has to trust that they will dig themselves out of that hole and deliver the M Scaler technology they have invested in in a more logical package. It's a no-brainer.

OK. I'm up for that. A fiver sent to the winners chosen charity. To give you a bit more of a chance I am happy that the 'affordable MScaler' does not have to be available to buy this year but merely that it has been announced, has a product name and has an image of a prototype or pre production model. In other words it is more than just on a wish list of future products.

Fair?

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #2,388 of 4,904
OK. I'm up for that. A fiver sent to the winners chosen charity. To give you a bit more of a chance I am happy that the 'affordable MScaler' does not have to be available to buy this year but merely that it has been announced, has a product name and has an image of a prototype or pre production model. In other words it is more than just on a wish list of future products.

Fair?

Yep fair. Maybe slightly fairer to drop “affordable” because that means different things to you or me or a refugee. Just cheaper would do.

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #2,390 of 4,904
Yep fair. Maybe slightly fairer to drop “affordable” because that means different things to you or me or a refugee. Just cheaper would do.
Ok, as witnessed by the six people who read this thread.
Bet between you and me with a fiver to the winners charity depending on whether there is an announcement of a stand alone MScaler during 2018 with a product name and with an image of a prototype or pre production model. (and I expect John and Rob play fair!)

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #2,392 of 4,904
Just asking does this wager include a stand alone mscaler with or without any other function ...?
Streamer Bluetooth network player...?

Well, any configuration of M Scaler without a cd mech would do me. Chord have to do a streaming module with an M Scaler at some point - if you look at the picture John Franks posted it the 2Go + Hugo2 you can see that the 2Go is on the opposite side of the Hugo2 to the mooted M Scaler input. So you couldn’t MScale what is being streamed via the 2Go. But since by all accounts the software in their current Poly is a train wreck they really need to get that sorted before offering new products, so a straight standalone M Scaler is a simpler proposition and for that reason I would guess more likely. If they do do a streamer/M Scaler I would need it to receive Qobuz hi res and act as a JRiver zone to be attractive. And work flawlessly. Without having to poke anything with a paper clip.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #2,395 of 4,904
Well, any configuration of M Scaler without a cd mech would do me. Chord have to do a streaming module with an M Scaler at some point - if you look at the picture John Franks posted it the 2Go + Hugo2 you can see that the 2Go is on the opposite side of the Hugo2 to the mooted M Scaler input. So you couldn’t MScale what is being streamed via the 2Go. But since by all accounts the software in their current Poly is a train wreck they really need to get that sorted before offering new products, so a straight standalone M Scaler is a simpler proposition and for that reason I would guess more likely. If they do do a streamer/M Scaler I would need it to receive Qobuz hi res and act as a JRiver zone to be attractive. And work flawlessly. Without having to poke anything with a paper clip.
I'd settle for an M scaler. You want streaming, stick it into the 2go or some phone. Let the M Scaler M scale. Why make it complecated when we want it in our lifetimes? And I wouldn't let bluetooth get in the way either. Remember, the preverbial 'we' are hoping for one without the cd player and expense. Why complicate it? And the Poly isn't even an issue, here. It sounds like a bit of software needing a bit of overhaul. Forgive me @Triode User, if I'm rooting for Andrew to win this wager.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #2,396 of 4,904
given everything rob watts has been saying i would suggest this year has about as much chance as the giants and jets making the super bowl this year did!

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #2,397 of 4,904
I'd settle for an M scaler. You want streaming, stick it into the 2go or some phone. Let the M Scaler M scale. Why make it complecated when we want it in our lifetimes? And I wouldn't let bluetooth get in the way either. Remember, the preverbial 'we' are hoping for one without the cd player and expense. Why complicate it? And the Poly isn't even an issue, here. It sounds like a bit of software needing a bit of overhaul. Forgive me @Triode User, if I'm rooting for Andrew to win this wager.

I have sympathy for the wish for 'just' an MScaler.

In reality though Blu2 and Dave are at the top of the DAC game and Chord are selling them as fast as they can make them. Rob and John have said quite clearly that they see Blu2 Dave as world leaders for a few years to come. Also, see it from their side. They have plenty of other projects to bring to the market without the distraction of a next generation MScaler. Whilst Blu2Dave is selling well at the premium end of the market it does not seem to make business sense to pull the rug out from under that market by introducing an MScaler that does more or less what Blu2 does but at (say) a third of the price. In any case I doubt that the processing chips exist at the moment to make an MScaler that could sell for Hugo2 money. Not only that but a solo MScaler is likely to need a high degree of input versatility and chances are it will accumulate other features as well as just MScaling.

Personally my money would be on a Dave2 with integral MScaler perhaps 2 years away from now.

Sorry but I think my £5 wager is safe this year.

It is however quite good fun to discuss things that we know nothing whatsoever about.

John and Rob must chuckle every now and then if they ever bother to read what we write.

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #2,398 of 4,904
OK all you MScaler sceptics, answer this.

Why did Chord put inputs for an M Scaler on the Hugo2?

Why did Chord put inputs for an M Scaler on the Qutest?

Why did Rob Watts talk about a more modestly priced M Scaler in the video about the Qutest?

Because Chord have no intention of producing a more modestly priced M Scaler in the foreseeable future? (as the sceptics are trying to argue).

Or because it has been designed, done and dusted, and it’s just a matter of time? (as the hopers are hoping).

Anyone else want to bet a fiver?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,399 of 4,904
OK all you MScaler sceptics, answer this.

Why did Chord put inputs for an M Scaler on the Hugo2?

Why did Chord put inputs for an M Scaler on the Qutest?

Why did Rob Watts talk about a more modestly priced M Scaler in the video about the Qutest?

Because Chord have no intention of producing a more modestly priced M Scaler in the foreseeable future? (as the sceptics are trying to argue).

Or because it has been designed, done and dusted, and it’s just a matter of time? (as the hopers are hoping).

Anyone else want to bet a fiver?

in the first place you can use the blu2 right now with these products and i am sure that the m-scaler is something they hope to get to market sometime in the near future...just not this year

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #2,400 of 4,904
in the first place you can use the blu2 right now with these products and i am sure that the m-scaler is something they hope to get to market sometime in the near future...just not this year

You are surely joking. How many people who buy the £1200 Qutest will have the money or the need for a £8500 cd mechanism with added M Scaler? Many of them won’t have any cds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back