Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
Tags:
  1. DaveRedRef-III
    I think in all fairness to Chord, the cables work very well Christer. I don’t think they, or any electronics company, should be held responsible for what is a byproduct of modern living. The effects of EMI/RFI are greater or lesser depending on the individual household. Finding ways to suppress its effects is regrettably all part of the obsession of Hifi. ;-( Some care, some don’t and some cannot hear the difference anyway. It’s down to the individual whether it matters.

2. marcmccalmont
    I think Blu2 and Dave are a work in progress. Rob Watts mentioned he removed filtering from Dave inputs to improve HS data. Rob then investigated coax cables and ferrites after the release of Blu2 and was kind enough to report his findings. Yes at this price point we should not be fiddling with cables and ferrites but as audiophiles we are compelled to fiddle anyways so really no harm done. The stock cables sound good the Clearer Audio cables better and with ferrites better yet. With the announcement of the latest Xilinx FPGA I'm sure Rob is contemplating a more advanced design perhaps an upscalling DAC on one FPGA and in one chassis (which will solve the rfi/emi issue) probably 10 fold more processing power for even more robust filters. I will enjoy my Blu2/Dave (tweaked with cables and ferrites) until this next iteration is available and will probably be first inline for it! And in the end the investment was reasonable I can sell my Spectral preamp for $7k and my MSB transport for $3k not bad!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    AndrewOld likes this.
  3. DaveRedRef-III
    I mentioned a while ago prior to the demise of Doug Sax that his CD masterings were so well regarded that they could well become worthwhile investments over time. I just noticed this one on Amazon. Blimey!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joshua-Jud...r=1-5&keywords=lyle+lovett+Joshua+judges+Ruth

The seller is taking a flyer at that price of course but three figure prices are quite common for some ‘new’ highly regarded CD’s these days.

Fortunately I own two of these pressings just in case the first gets damaged.

4. Crgreen
    The price of second-hand copies is a little more realistic. I do wonder whether some people put down ludicrous prices for items not in the expectation that anyone will be prepared to pay them, but that someone might pay such a sum in error by clicking the wrong button.

5. DaveRedRef-III
    Perhaps Davina (when it arrives) may better suit your needs Christer.

I must say I am intrigued by the commercial potential for Davina in terms of mastering house adoption and the resultant improvements in analogue conversion. Quite exciting times.

Christer likes this.
  6. Crgreen
    As I understand it (and I may not), the RFI is generated by the signal itself, and it’s this which causes drop outs. That’s why clamping a bunch of ferrite rings round the BNC cables can eliminate drop outs and make the sound darker and smoother. It’s also why I’ve wondered if BNC is the optimum means of transfer, though I’ve no idea if there would be an alternative.

7. marcmccalmont
    I'm sure it's more complex than that and it is external EMI/RFI issues also, SPDIF is not the best in theory it is .5 volts not 5 volts or more it is single ended not balanced, the clock is embedded in the data a source of jitter.
    A single box approach (CD Player, upscaller/DAC etc) is a better approach and any data transmission that the DAC supplies the clock would be superior, but in practice SPDIF coax with proper cabling is the best sounding practical connection we have now. I wish I2S or another interface became the industry standard.

8. Crgreen
    Just to be clear, are you suggesting that the drop out issue is caused by external RFI rather than the signal itself, and if so, why?

9. marcmccalmont
    No but the increase in SQ is a benefit of blocking external emi/rfi with ferrites

10. Jawed
    And I bet there isn't a DAC on the planet that doesn't sound better with ferrites on its electrical SPDIF or USB input.

The mystery for me is why it's taken so long for this perspective to appear, given that RF isn't a new problem. At least I ran my 1990s DAC with an optical connection (AT&T, not TOSLink), so didn't suffer RF on the input cable in that case. But I ran my Hugo TT in the belief that the galvanic isolation on the USB input solved the problem.

I think we have to discard galvanic isolation as an indicator of quality. The change with my DAVE on its galvanically isolated USB that came from adding ferrites is of the instant WOW variety.

11. marcmccalmont
    I still have a Parasound DAC 2000 (Ultra Analog DAC) with AT&T glass input! brings back memories!
    Perhaps many DAC's noise floor and jitter rejection is not as good so the differences w/ferrites are not so obvious

Jawed likes this.
  12. bigfatpaulie
    These chokes have been talked about since pre-Blu (Romaz was using them on his USB cable -> DAVE IIRC). At this stage, why wouldn't people be adding them considering the cost?

13. dmance
    @jude
    I understand that HeadFi has one of those APX555 audio analyzers (or at least access to one). And i also understand you have a Chord DAVE/Blu2 (or at least access to one). Can we get an A/B comparison of the DAVE signal output when...
    • Ferrites added to USB input
    • Ferrites added to COAX input (from Blu2)
    • Ferrites added to AC Power input cable
    I doubt @Rob Watts would have missed this during the design. Also, If there is no difference in the DAVE output ...then perhaps the RFI fog gets carried thru DAVE all the way to the amplifier ...with the various user reports meaning that some amplifier inputs reject RFI better than others.
    Thanks
    Dan

Christer and Deftone like this.
  14. Jawed
    The problem is that people think that one or two ferrites is enough. We'd gotten to the subject of ferrites by way of the Audioquest Jitterbug, which is doing basically the same thing and is about as effective as one or two ferrites.

A lot of the talk (particularly in computer audio) has been about isolator devices and streamers/servers with low internal noise. These devices appear to be entirely redundant when a lot of ferrites are used. The precedent here is that radio amateurs do use tens of ferrites when tackling unwanted common mode noise, but it's been almost entirely missed by audiophiles.

Now playing: Sex Mob - Been It

15. Crgreen
    Right. I thought the ferrites blocked the RFI generated by the signal. It seems you’re saying tthey do for drop out purposes, but not for SQ purposes. Can’t really get my head round that.