Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #1,651 of 1,746
I attempted to purchase a 2Qute from Amazon uk, from the link provided a couple of pages ago, but it wouldn't let me complete the sale (I'm in the US). Does anyone know of a seller that will ship to US... preferably at the discounted clearance price?
Try this. They definitely ship all around Europe...

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,652 of 1,746
Just some observations and notes from some A/B testing I've done the last few days.

Reference:
KEF LS50 Speakers <- Cyrus One Integrated Stereo Amplifier <- Chord 2Qute DAC <- {*variable input*} <- Tidal Hifi via {Android app direct/UAPP/BubbleUPnP/Amazon Firestick app)

Regarding the use of attenuators,
I was initially concerned as my Cyrus One amp is rated to max 2.5v input Vs the 2Qutes 3v output. I found that despite this mismatch to there isn't too much audible clipping in most tracks. In all cases it was better to use digital volume control than use a -10db Rothwell in-line RCA attenuator. The attenuator did work very well to increase volume control and even things out a bit, however it absolutley butchered the dynamics, detail and emotional essence of the music. So much so that the 2Qute with the attenuator was comparable in music enjoyment to not using the 2Qute at all and instead using the onboard DAC of my TV/Samsung Galaxy Note 8. I am currently using either bitperfect accepting the chance of clipping or using digital volume control. I hope to treat myself to an amp upgrade soon as the 2Qute is just too good to be bottlenecked in this way.

Regarding digital inputs,
When testing usb input (UAPP, fed bitperfect via Samsung Galaxy Note 8) the is a very very slight improvement versus optical (Chromecast Audio Optical, fed bitperfect(?) via BubbleUPnP<--Tidal Hifi or the Tidal app). Perhaps a tiny loss of dynamics by using optical in this way, although a cleaner signal with less audible 'clicking' compared to USB. Overall the usb may be ever so slightly better sonically, however the difference is so small in direct A/B that I am content using the Chromecast Audio for all streaming activities.

The USB is the go to with higher resolution files. Playing 384kHZ PCM was no problem via UAPP on Galaxy Note 8. Still trying to work out how to play DSD this way.

Optical from my TV running Tidal app on an Amazon Firestick was noticably worse than optical from Chromecast Audio or USB. The 2Qute LEDs show Tidals 44.kHz is being upsampled to 48kHz. The volume is also about 50% that of a bitperfect USB playing the same file source. My TV doesn't have a way to control this volume so obviously a limitation of my TV. Nonetheless pretty good for music videos.

Tinkering is half the fun :)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #1,653 of 1,746
Just some observations and notes from some A/B testing I've done the last few days.

Reference:
KEF LS50 Speakers <- Cyrus One Integrated Stereo Amplifier <- Chord 2Qute DAC <- {*variable input*} <- Tidal Hifi via {Android app direct/UAPP/BubbleUPnP/Amazon Firestick app)

Regarding the use of attenuators,
I was initially concerned as my Cyrus One amp is rated to max 2.5v input Vs the 2Qutes 3v output. I found that despite this mismatch to there isn't too much audible clipping in most tracks. In all cases it was better to use digital volume control than use a -10db Rothwell in-line RCA attenuator. The attenuator did work very well to increase volume control and even things out a bit, however it absolutley butchered the dynamics, detail and emotional essence of the music. So much so that the 2Qute with the attenuator was comparable in music enjoyment to not using the 2Qute at all and instead using the onboard DAC of my TV/Samsung Galaxy Note 8. I am currently using either bitperfect accepting the chance of clipping or using digital volume control. I hope to treat myself to an amp upgrade soon as the 2Qute is just too good to be bottlenecked in this way.

Regarding digital inputs,
When testing usb input (UAPP, fed bitperfect via Samsung Galaxy Note 8) the is a very very slight improvement versus optical (Chromecast Audio Optical, fed bitperfect(?) via BubbleUPnP<--Tidal Hifi or the Tidal app). Perhaps a tiny loss of dynamics by using optical in this way, although a cleaner signal with less audible 'clicking' compared to USB. Overall the usb may be ever so slightly better sonically, however the difference is so small in direct A/B that I am content using the Chromecast Audio for all streaming activities.

The USB is the go to with higher resolution files. Playing 384kHZ PCM was no problem via UAPP on Galaxy Note 8. Still trying to work out how to play DSD this way.

Optical from my TV running Tidal app on an Amazon Firestick was noticably worse than optical from Chromecast Audio or USB. The 2Qute LEDs show Tidals 44.kHz is being upsampled to 48kHz. The volume is also about 50% that of a bitperfect USB playing the same file source. My TV doesn't have a way to control this volume so obviously a limitation of my TV. Nonetheless pretty good for music videos.

Tinkering is half the fun :)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I upgraded to 2Qute after Mojo and still surprised how much better it sounds. Didn't expect this.

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #1,655 of 1,746
Has anyone compared this to the new RME Adi2 Dac? I don't need that headamp but its not bad to have, unless Chord SQ is superior.
IMO Chord DACs are unbeatable. Buy the best Chord DAC you can afford and you'll be happy for a long time.

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,656 of 1,746
Does anyone have any expirence running the 2qute via a stereo amp and speakers with high input sensitivity?

I'm currently running 200mv sensitivity (max input 2.5v) and looking at a rega mp which is 164mv (max input 10v). It's a trade-off of extra sensitivity Vs increased maximum input. Would the useable volume range be even smaller?

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #1,657 of 1,746
There are some really decent DACs out there. And unless you A/B compare them with a Chord DAC most likely you will be satisfied with them and that's fine. The DAC section of my Questyle CMA600i for example is pretty decent. Smooth, quite detailed. Pretty much enough for happiness. But the clarity and definition the 2Qute brings to the picture is very impressive. Everything is just so much sharper and clearer. This clarity enhances the perception of soundstage depth and gives the impression of a blacker background. I love it.
With certain music genres these improvements are more obvious. Electronic ambient music which I really like is one of them. Thanks Mr Watts. :)

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,658 of 1,746
Hi,I am new to this forum,but I have read the Mojo one extensively.Now I have a small problem that some of you fellows can help me solve.Today I got a new 2qute and it's really fantastic 5h after I downloaded the drivers and started listening to it.Now the problem!!! I have a TIDAL connection which I used with the Mojo,and they worked fine,but now that I am using the 2qute the light stays red even when I listen to Master files.Is that normal?With the Mojo it changed colour according to what file I was playing.Please HELP!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,659 of 1,746
Hi,I am new to this forum,but I have read the Mojo one extensively.Now I have asmall problem that some of you fellows can help me solve.Today I got a new 2qute and it's really fantastic 5h after I downloaded the drivers and started listening to it.Now the problem!!! I have a TIDAL connection which I used with the Mojo,and they worked fine,but now that I am using the 2qute the light stays red even when I listen to Master files.Is tha normal?With the Mojo it changed colour according to what file I was playing.Please HELP!
It should change colours but unfortunately I can't help more since I use Foobar not Tidal.

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,661 of 1,746
Sep 26, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,662 of 1,746
Hi,I am new to this forum,but I have read the Mojo one extensively.Now I have a small problem that some of you fellows can help me solve.Today I got a new 2qute and it's really fantastic 5h after I downloaded the drivers and started listening to it.Now the problem!!! I have a TIDAL connection which I used with the Mojo,and they worked fine,but now that I am using the 2qute the light stays red even when I listen to Master files.Is that normal?With the Mojo it changed colour according to what file I was playing.Please HELP!

Have you made sure your settings (I think under account or use) are set to 'exclusive mode'?

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,663 of 1,746
Try this. They definitely ship all around Europe...
I wish I saw that earlier...just bought a second hand 2Qute for £500...
Not a bad deal I guess, but no warranty.

That said, for the money spent,
this dac is my best purchase in years...what a performance! Great improvement in resolution, clarity and depth (pretty much everywhere actually) compared to my Questyle CMA400i's dac section.

Also much better performance at lower volume.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #1,665 of 1,746
I just want to add some humble feedback regarding the use of an mcru linear power supply.
I have tested and blind tested it for about an hour this morning and I cannot deny there is a radical positive change. What is instantly discernible is the additional weight to every single note. Tightened bass and crisper highs.
As for the why, I understand Mr Watts' explanations and I happily believe this improvement might not be driven by the 2Qute power section per say. However, in my system and under my listening conditions, the lps is a definite overall improvement.

Here are 2 tracks where I found the impact extremely audible:
- "Come together" from "Musica Nuda" album (Petra Magoni)
- "Gold to me" from "Fight for your mind" album (Ben Harper)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back