Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
May 27, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,156 of 1,746
^ You should give justice to your 2Qute by upgrading to Schiit Saga in passive mode (you can run it without the tube inserted). With Saga, you don't have that scratching sound as it uses a relay stepped attenuator instead of a pot.

One step at a time, my friend. :sunglasses:

I've spent so much lately that I'm going to cool down for a bit. I hope to not buy anything else until I upgrade my speakers (probably the ADAM S2V & Sub12)...or perhaps I'll end up getting the 2Qute successor first if it comes out soon enough. I don't mind the slight scratching sound for the time being.

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,160 of 1,746
No idea how far along they are in the development cycle for a presumable successor at this point, but here's my "wishlist".

I actually really like the aesthetic and features of the Hugo 2, but actually dislike batteries for long term reliability and I prefer to keep DACs on to keep them warmed up. Having a 2qute successor that has a headphone out, remote and volume control would be nice.

Alternatively (But understandably less likely):

Combining the Hugo TT and 2 Qute into a single offering that is in between the two, no more than around $2500.

-slightly larger chassis between Qute and Dave with xlr output.
-Headphone output.
-No crazy supercap supply/normal external PSU
-No special display, colored button indicators are fine.
(The previous 2 to keep cost in check.)
-could do without Bluetooth, but I know some people like it.
-Galvanic isolation.

That's pretty much my ideal Chord product right now.

(As a bonus or to justify up to $3k cost, 75k taps with 16e pulse array, wishful thinking I know)

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #1,161 of 1,746
I actually really like the aesthetic and features of the Hugo 2, but actually dislike batteries for long term reliability and I prefer to keep DACs on to keep them warmed up. Having a 2qute successor that has a headphone out, remote and volume control would be nice.

If left plugged in for more than 24 hours the Hugo2 bypasses the batteries and runs of mains power. Your concern is a non-issue and it seems Rob has addressed it rather well IMO. However this won't address the other concerns like XLR out and built-in galvanic isolation.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,162 of 1,746
If left plugged in for more than 24 hours the Hugo2 bypasses the batteries and runs of mains power.

Are you referring to some sort of USB to wall wart adapter? What do you need to do to have it stay on permanently? Most people turn off their computer, so having it charge from a computer's USB port permanently is not a viable option. With the mains power, would it have worse sound quality?

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #1,163 of 1,746
Are you referring to some sort of USB to wall wart adapter? What do you need to do to have it stay on permanently? Most people turn off their computer, so having it charge from a computer's USB port permanently is not a viable option. With the mains power, would it have worse sound quality?

Hugo2 comes with a wall wart charger and the power USB input is separate from the data USB input, like Mojo. The mains power quality would depend, but Rob has extensively filtered the input and has said that there is little in the way of noise when plugged in. Of course YMMV.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,166 of 1,746
Jun 18, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,167 of 1,746
If left plugged in for more than 24 hours the Hugo2 bypasses the batteries and runs of mains power. Your concern is a non-issue and it seems Rob has addressed it rather well IMO. However this won't address the other concerns like XLR out and built-in galvanic isolation.
I think it's a valid concern, batteries in the Hugo2 although my concerns are more to do with sound signature than the life of the battery in the Hugo2. Remember when I questioned Rob on the bypassing of the Hugo2 batteries(remove them or they are dead), his reply was he had not tested the SQ of the Hugo2 for this and did not recommend it. In other words the Hugo2 was designed for varied power that a Lipo battery could provide and not a linear source of 5V 2A.
As far as the mode in which the batteries remained topped off after 24 hours of being charged, my understanding is that this does not bypass the batteries and that the Hugo2 still operates under power by the batteries, just that the batteries are not topped off on charging but remain at an optimal charge for operation.

In conclusion, I have chosen to take Rob's words to heart and forgo purchasing the Hugo2, remain with the 2Qute, wait for the 3Qute.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...official-thread.831345/page-132#post-13359385
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...official-thread.831345/page-133#post-13359564

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #1,168 of 1,746
I think it's a valid concern, batteries in the Hugo2 although my concerns are more to do with sound signature than the life of the battery in the Hugo2. Remember when I questioned Rob on the bypassing of the Hugo2 batteries(remove them or they are dead), his reply was he had not tested the SQ of the Hugo2 for this and did not recommend it. In other words the Hugo2 was designed for varied power that a Lipo battery could provide and not a linear source of 5V 2A.
As far as the mode in which the batteries remained topped off after 24 hours of being charged, my understanding is that this does not bypass the batteries and that the Hugo2 still operates under power by the batteries, just that the batteries are not topped off on charging but remain at an optimal charge for operation.

In conclusion, I have chosen to take Rob's words to heart and forgo purchasing the Hugo2, remain with the 2Qute, wait for the 3Qute.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...official-thread.831345/page-132#post-13359385
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...official-thread.831345/page-133#post-13359564

I can't see any reason why you could not substitute the batteries with a linear power supply. There's no difference between 5V power supply and 5V battery that I know of. Ultimately the battery might be a cleaner power source, and possibly smoother. However if you buy a top notch power supply then it should be good enough, *I think*.

I have contemplated doing it with the Mojo. However I won't while it's under warranty. ... I suspect Chord might refuse a repair though, if you needed one in future. Meaning, if you changed the function of the DAC.

I am not recommending it, by the way. I just said I thought about doing it.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,170 of 1,746
I can't see any reason why you could not substitute the batteries with a linear power supply. There's no difference between 5V power supply and 5V battery that I know of. Ultimately the battery might be a cleaner power source, and possibly smoother. However if you buy a top notch power supply then it should be good enough, *I think*.

I have contemplated doing it with the Mojo. However I won't while it's under warranty. ... I suspect Chord might refuse a repair though, if you needed one in future. Meaning, if you changed the function of the DAC.

I am not recommending it, by the way. I just said I thought about doing it.
@Rob Watts has already posted several times about his tests using a battery https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/chord-electronics-2qute-dac-announced.749582/page-34#post-11788386

Users who are viewing this thread

Back