Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 27, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #15,346 of 18,750
Ok, so here is my questions for poly / airplay users.

With mojo alone, the control of the volume by the iphone is completely bypassed : I just control volume from mojo.

With poly, the control of the volume by the iphone is not bypassed even if bitperfect mode is activated. So if I set volume on the iphone at a given level and then adjust more volume with mojo then the sound become quickly noisy and lack clearly of dynamics.

So do I miss something ? How do I control volume properly with poly ? Can I bypass completely volume control from the iphone ?

May 27, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #15,347 of 18,750
Well I have tried some tips done by moon-audio : I have dedicated 2.4Ghz to Poly only and my 5Ghz wifi for other elements but Poly still cannot connect.

I have however another problem : I can't make bit perfect so I can trig the volume from my iPhone, but the sound is so weird, that's a joke, I have tried to reconfigure / rerun Poly etc, I still can't do bit perfect : with Mojo alone, my iPhone can’t change sound volume, only Mojo is able : with Poly I can change sound volume with my iPhone and changing volume with Mojo balls has little effect, sound become quickly noisy : a bit like Poly is over amplifying sound from iphone.

My Poly has to return to the seller, this product is just a pure crap, Chord guys just don't know / have any idea how to make software / embedded software.
And the management of Chord has just delivered a product that is lying to customers.
As much as I love my Mojo, I'll sell it and will go for a true DAC / streaming solution.
I'm so sad.
i'm not trying to change your mind, but instead offer a theory. 2.4 gHz is plenty capable of streaming hi res audio. the problem lies in the amount of 2.4 gHz traffic in close proximity to your Poly.. a wifi analyzer could identify which channels would be best to have your router set to, but then again i am just thinking out loud.

May 27, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #15,348 of 18,750
I picked up a used Poly recently and with the help of this forum have figured out mostly how to get it to do what I want.
I have one question. Is it normal to have to wait so long for Poly to be discoverable via GoFigure?
It seems that the lower the battery charge the longer it takes. For example it just took 3 and half minutes to be discoverable and
battery is at 63%.
Serial number of my Poly is 42..first batch maybe? Does it matter? Yes
Thanks for all your help!
Some Polys from the early batches, did experience problems with long turn on times.
The cause was narrowed down to the Mojo having an old battery that took ages to reach sufficient voltage to warm up its internal diode enough to turn on Poly.

The poly design was updated, so that instead of waiting for a specific voltage, to be triggered, the Poly then just needed to detect any voltage, which removed the problem.
It still remained good practice to open the Mojo case, and check the condition of the battery - if it was swollen, remove the battery, and dispose of it at a recycling location.

The streamer FAQ contains this explanation/advice
'With some devices, especially when they are cold, the process of Poly turning on can take a short period of time. The process of Poly powering on is reliant on mojo emitting a voltage through its USB, if the diode in Mojo is not hot then it can take longer to power on, which will result in Poly taking longer to power on.

If you find yourself regularly waiting more than 25 seconds for the P.status LED to illuminate, please contact support@chordelectronics.co.uk'

Hope this helps.

May 27, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #15,349 of 18,750

With mojo alone, the control of the volume by the iphone is completely bypassed : I just control volume from mojo.

With poly, the control of the volume by the iphone is not bypassed even if bitperfect mode is activated. So if I set volume on the iphone at a given level and then adjust more volume with mojo then the sound become quickly noisy and lack clearly of dynamics.

So do I miss something ? How do I control volume properly with poly ? Can I bypass completely volume control from the iphone ?

It depends which app you are using and how it behaves. But the best general advice is to have the iPhone volume set to maximum and use Mojo to control the volume.

May 27, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #15,350 of 18,750
It depends which app you are using and how it behaves. But the best general advice is to have the iPhone volume set to maximum and use Mojo to control the volume.

That’s ugly ! so it means that unlike with mojo alone, with poly then the final sound is depending of the phone ! I wonder if it is a airplay consequence or not.
By the way I use Deezer app.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #15,351 of 18,750

I'm finding this as well. Even when I have bitperfect set, I cannot control the Mojo volume with my phone. I currently just set my phone volume on the max (with Tidal) and control the volume with my Mojo.

However, I think it would be much better and more versatile if I could control the Mojo directly with my iPhone. Does anyone know if this can be done?

May 27, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #15,352 of 18,750
I'm finding this as well. Even when I have bitperfect set, I cannot control the Mojo volume with my phone. I currently just set my phone volume on the max (with Tidal) and control the volume with my Mojo.

However, I think it would be much better and more versatile if I could control the Mojo directly with my iPhone. Does anyone know if this can be done?
Poly is a streamer, not an amplifier, so you cannot use Poly to change volume.
You cannot control Mojo directly with the iPhone

That leaves you with two choices:
  • control the volume via the digital volume code on your phone
  • control the volume via Rob Watts digital volume code on the Mojo

May 27, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #15,353 of 18,750
Some Polys from the early batches, did experience problems with long turn on times.
The cause was narrowed down to the Mojo having an old battery that took ages to reach sufficient voltage to warm up its internal diode enough to turn on Poly.

The poly design was updated, so that instead of waiting for a specific voltage, to be triggered, the Poly then just needed to detect any voltage, which removed the problem.
It still remained good practice to open the Mojo case, and check the condition of the battery - if it was swollen, remove the battery, and dispose of it at a recycling location.

The streamer FAQ contains this explanation/advice
'With some devices, especially when they are cold, the process of Poly turning on can take a short period of time. The process of Poly powering on is reliant on mojo emitting a voltage through its USB, if the diode in Mojo is not hot then it can take longer to power on, which will result in Poly taking longer to power on.

If you find yourself regularly waiting more than 25 seconds for the P.status LED to illuminate, please contact support@chordelectronics.co.uk'

Hope this helps.
Thank you for all of that info...I apologize that I missed it in the faq. Oddly, I have changed the mojo battery within the last year or so. Sometimes Poly is ready in 15 seconds, sometimes its over seven minutes. Chord has already been in contact. Thanks again.

May 28, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #15,354 of 18,750
Is upsampling in roon suported when using poly as roon endpoint ?
If yes what max upsampling bitrate is possible ?
Can resemble to 386 or some such number.

Jun 8, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #15,357 of 18,750
Does anyone know if Poly will work with Amazon Music?
I'd like to trial Amazons Ultra package, & wonder if there is a way to get Poly to connect, or via an app.
Yeah, sure would be nice to have Poly work with Amazon Music, but I suppose that's wishful thinking. Was hoping Chord would gradually add more features to Poly, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #15,358 of 18,750
Yeah, sure would be nice to have Poly work with Amazon Music, but I suppose that's wishful thinking. Was hoping Chord would gradually add more features to Poly, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening.

I emailed Chord Support who said it is being looked at, but there are a lot of challenges.
I too would have liked to see more options or easier ways to stream hi-res music to the streamer Poly, than relying on low quality bluetooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back