Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jun 17, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #13,606 of 18,752
I'm tempted to purchase another mojo/poly combo now that the problems that led me to sell my last one seem to have been resolved.

My main use was listening to Spotify and Podcasts from an iPhone, but I also occasionally used it to listen to the SD card or, when at home, as a DLNA renderer from a JRiver server (playing everything from mp3, through flac, to DSD).
I know they're not all the intended use case for it, but it does improve sound and it's nice to have a single device that does everything.

The issues I were facing were:

Clicking and glitches when walking across London (I suspect from high wifi traffic areas), same thing on the train
Losing the device as a renderer from my iPhone resulting in either the phone or the mojo/poly requiring a reboot, often both (this one was probably the worst of all of them)
Clicks and glitches when moving around my house which uses a mesh network so I suspect is the device switching access points

The clicks and glitches weren't regular (six seconds) so I don't think it was to do with the old bluetooth (I think) toggle bug.

Ideally someone will have some of those use cases, will have previously had the same issues, and can now confirm that they're resolved. I suspect I'm being optimistic :)

Does anyone have any experience with those use cases or issues, specifically the mesh network or airplay connections? Thanks in advance.

Jun 17, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #13,607 of 18,752
I recently bought another mojopoly combo and have been pretty happy with all the improvements.

I went travelling for 2 weeks and now the thing won't play ball. It takes ages to connect to GoFigure, refuses to connect to my phone in phone hotspot mode and acts like the Poly before it.

I am completely puzzled as the sort of behaviour I'm seeing was much more akin to what Poly was like when it first came out. It feels like things have deteriorated massively in just two weeks of not using it...

I have now spent over one hour trying to grasp what's happening..
Any advice???

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #13,608 of 18,752
Hi !!!, i love my Chord Mojo/Poly but i can´t use it with Tidal properly. When i set a Playlist , only can play one song and then stop playing. I must play manually second song, then third...and so on... Someone canhelp me?. I didn´t know how to made this better.
I use it with Mconnect and streaming with my LG G7.

Thks

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #13,609 of 18,752
I recently bought another mojopoly combo and have been pretty happy with all the improvements.

I went travelling for 2 weeks and now the thing won't play ball. It takes ages to connect to GoFigure, refuses to connect to my phone in phone hotspot mode and acts like the Poly before it.

I am completely puzzled as the sort of behaviour I'm seeing was much more akin to what Poly was like when it first came out. It feels like things have deteriorated massively in just two weeks of not using it...

I have now spent over one hour trying to grasp what's happening..
Any advice???

Well, it seems it needed to be charged- perhaps it simply needed to be fed first :D

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #13,610 of 18,752
Not sure what you mean by "truly" gapless. Bubble and Hi-fi Cast both play gaplessly from my NAS drive. Have no gapless music on my sd card at the moment to try. Prefer gappy music!
Mistype on my part I guess - just last time I checked up on gapless SD card playback via DLNA/uPnP a bunch were recommended to me as "gapless" but none of them could do it. Even had to give examples of why gapless matters like Pepper, Dark Side etc. I'll check those 2 again.

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #13,611 of 18,752
Mistype on my part I guess - just last time I checked up on gapless SD card playback via DLNA/uPnP a bunch were recommended to me as "gapless" but none of them could do it. Even had to give examples of why gapless matters like Pepper, Dark Side etc. I'll check those 2 again.
My understanding is that gapless is a function of the control point and renderer. So, now that Poly renderer supports gapless, Bubble and Hi-Fi Cast should deliver from sd card.

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #13,615 of 18,752
I'm tempted to purchase another mojo/poly combo now that the problems that led me to sell my last one seem to have been resolved.

My main use was listening to Spotify and Podcasts from an iPhone, but I also occasionally used it to listen to the SD card or, when at home, as a DLNA renderer from a JRiver server (playing everything from mp3, through flac, to DSD).
I know they're not all the intended use case for it, but it does improve sound and it's nice to have a single device that does everything.

The issues I were facing were:

Clicking and glitches when walking across London (I suspect from high wifi traffic areas), same thing on the train
Losing the device as a renderer from my iPhone resulting in either the phone or the mojo/poly requiring a reboot, often both (this one was probably the worst of all of them)
Clicks and glitches when moving around my house which uses a mesh network so I suspect is the device switching access points

The clicks and glitches weren't regular (six seconds) so I don't think it was to do with the old bluetooth (I think) toggle bug.

Ideally someone will have some of those use cases, will have previously had the same issues, and can now confirm that they're resolved. I suspect I'm being optimistic :)

Does anyone have any experience with those use cases or issues, specifically the mesh network or airplay connections? Thanks in advance.

I bought the combo purely as a portable Roon endpoint. I have the Orbi “mesh” network. (I understand orbi isn’t a true mesh network). When I walk out of range of one hub (i.e. walking to garage) it will stop playing and I’ll have to press play on the Roon app. I’m using RAAT not airplay. I can try airplay to see if there’s a difference. I’ve noticed no glitches or issues otherwise.

For truly portable and near flawless use, I use music stored on the SD card. Currently a 400gb. I created playlists using a MPD client. When heading out, I use Gofigure to start the playlist and enjoy. No glitches, skips, or issues.

I’ve noticed that DLNA is inherently glitchy when on the move. My AK240 is no better, and even a little worse, than the poly.

Jun 18, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #13,616 of 18,752
Poly.... probably one of the best and yet most frustrating audio components I’ve owned.

Short version.

How do I get my hi-res content from Qobuz to Poly when on a work WiFi which doesn’t support uPnP discovery?

Long version.

I tend to do most of my mojo/poly listening at work and so am not in full control of WiFi network and limited to phone (iOS) + mojo + poly. Initially, there was no WiFi available and so I started using poly via the personal hotspot on my phone. This kind of worked but every time I picked up the phone to change track or something, there was a buzzy interference. Also, the connection being Airplay over WiFi, it wasn’t able to handle hi-res either. So it was back to cable connection and poly remained in the bag.

Now there is WiFi at work. So Poly firmware upgrade in place, connection to Qobuz configured and using mconnect player (fyi with Glider or 8player browsing works but playing does not, as reported by someone else previously) and we are now streaming hi-res to poly over my home WiFi. Heading into the office and doing the same and hit a wall. Both devices are on same WiFi but mconnect can’t find Poly as a source or as a renderer to playback. presumably, as this is a work WiFi uPnP is restricted for security reasons.

So my options would seem to be limited to connect using Poly and play Qobuz using airplay over wifi and live without hi-res capability or dispense with Poly again plug in the cable again.

Interested to hear of any other solutions that come to mind.

To be fair, the sound of CD quality via Poly is still pretty good. Just feels a waste not be getting the most out of the available source material and equipment.

Gatherer

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #13,617 of 18,752
I bought the combo purely as a portable Roon endpoint. I have the Orbi “mesh” network. (I understand orbi isn’t a true mesh network). When I walk out of range of one hub (i.e. walking to garage) it will stop playing and I’ll have to press play on the Roon app. I’m using RAAT not airplay. I can try airplay to see if there’s a difference. I’ve noticed no glitches or issues otherwise.

For truly portable and near flawless use, I use music stored on the SD card. Currently a 400gb. I created playlists using a MPD client. When heading out, I use Gofigure to start the playlist and enjoy. No glitches, skips, or issues.

I’ve noticed that DLNA is inherently glitchy when on the move. My AK240 is no better, and even a little worse, than the poly.

Thanks. My on the move would be (mostly) airplay from iPhone. The mesh is actually the least of my concerns and, if it was the only issue probably wouldn't have been enough to convince me to sell it before. When I heard it happening though it was the straw that broke this particular camel's back.

So my question is still out there, is anyone using airplay and has its stability dramatically increased since V2? From everything I've read it seems it has, but if someone could explicitly confirm I'd appreciate it.

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #13,618 of 18,752
Thanks. My on the move would be (mostly) airplay from iPhone. The mesh is actually the least of my concerns and, if it was the only issue probably wouldn't have been enough to convince me to sell it before. When I heard it happening though it was the straw that broke this particular camel's back.

So my question is still out there, is anyone using airplay and has its stability dramatically increased since V2? From everything I've read it seems it has, but if someone could explicitly confirm I'd appreciate it.

Hi, i’ve been using AirPlay over WiFi in the office and occasionally using Poly HotSpot mode (WiFi again) and it’s generally been fine with no drop outs or quality issues.

If I take my phone away, such as to go to another room for a meeting, then I have noticed that on my return it sometimes fails to play over AirPlay even though it says it’s connected and it can be a bit of a faff to reconnect again. Recently, i’ve managed to avoid this by manually switching the AirPlay output back to iPhone before going away and then I have had no problems at all.

In Poly HotSpot mode i’ve managed multiple journeys across London Underground with no problems at all. However, this mode does mean that your phone has no internet connection whilst connected (which on tube is not an issue for me).

In IOS Personal HotSpot mode (WiFi again), it’s been more flakey and I occasionally get “buzzy” interference (which seems to be crossover from phone/network activity and may also be related to what frequency bands your phone provider uses as i’ve noticed it being worse with O2, compared to EE) and some times the connection drops and is hard to re-establish (for example, if you get a phone call). This mode would be useful, as you still have normal phone functionality whilst connected but i’ve found it a bit hit and miss quality wise.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #13,619 of 18,752
Hi, i’ve been using AirPlay over WiFi in the office and occasionally using Poly HotSpot mode (WiFi again) and it’s generally been fine with no drop outs or quality issues.

If I take my phone away, such as to go to another room for a meeting, then I have noticed that on my return it sometimes fails to play over AirPlay even though it says it’s connected and it can be a bit of a faff to reconnect again. Recently, i’ve managed to avoid this by manually switching the AirPlay output back to iPhone before going away and then I have had no problems at all.

In Poly HotSpot mode i’ve managed multiple journeys across London Underground with no problems at all. However, this mode does mean that your phone has no internet connection whilst connected (which on tube is not an issue for me).

In IOS Personal HotSpot mode (WiFi again), it’s been more flakey and I occasionally get “buzzy” interference (which seems to be crossover from phone/network activity and may also be related to what frequency bands your phone provider uses as i’ve noticed it being worse with O2, compared to EE) and some times the connection drops and is hard to re-establish (for example, if you get a phone call). This mode would be useful, as you still have normal phone functionality whilst connected but i’ve found it a bit hit and miss quality wise.

Having said that, just used iPhone personal hotspot and airplay over WiFi whilst commuting on the train and walking through London with no significant issue. Took a call, then had to reselect Poly from AirPlay which worked first time. A bit of phone buzz whilst walking through station but only small bursts. So, pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back