Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 30, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #13,201 of 18,741
Definitely interference and digital modem-like sounds rather than hiss.

I haven’t used the IEMatch with MojoPoly but will give it a try. I mainly use it with my valve amps and Oppo HA-1, which would otherwise be unusable with the Solaris.

Cool, I will look forward to hearing if it makes any difference. I know the mojo itself is also meant to drive significantly more power sensitive headphones and not just IEMs, so this is likely an issue of just have super sensitive IEMs here. I know I have to run the mojo at well below the so called "minimum" volume, with one ball brown, and often the other light blue. So its definitely down there. Driving the atlas out of my phone also ends up at like 15% volume for comfort, so yea, just very sensitive. So definitely interested to see if the iematch would make a difference and whether its just maybe a good accessory to have with such sensitive IEMs anyways.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #13,203 of 18,741
For those on Android- M.A.L.P. is doing an amazing job with Poly so far.
I have it set up with my wifi at home and at work, as well as with my phone's mobile hotspot.

I am yet to experience a better and more problem-free way of using Poly.
Kudos to @Gr8h8m once again for letting me know how the set up process works. If I were @ChordElectronics I would add this app and the steps to set it up as a suggestion on GoFigure/their website.
Agree - stable, gapless playback with a not terrible interface.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #13,204 of 18,741
I loved the Mojo and for about a year it was my only source - USB DAC at home and then used in a stack on the go, with either an iPhone or DX90 coaxial to control playback. The stack option was always pretty chunky though, and not that user friendly with silicone straps getting in the way of screen use.

I haven’t had the Poly and obviously the jump to wireless connectivity has been far from seamless. I don’t use streaming services so haven’t had much interest.

I know Chord have a small product line and seem to be more interested in having fewer good products than a range of models, but I hope they seriously consider a future iteration of the Mojo with a microSD card slot, like the Poly, with playback controlled via Bluetooth connection from a phone. I know you’ll say if that option is added, why not just add Bluetooth and WiFi playback options too, but less really is more sometimes.

If that did that, there’d be USB DAC use at home and easier playback on the go, minus all the additional teething/compatibility issues that have affected the Poly. I’m old school and just like playback of my own files loaded onto internal memory/microSD memory. I’d jump on an option like that from Chord in no time, and I’m sure there’s enough audiophiles in the same boat out there to make that option worthwhile - just look at all the successful DAPs with no WiFi or Bluetooth options out there.

I know this option has been raised in this thread before, but just thought I’d add my two cents to show my support for it too.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #13,205 of 18,741
I loved the Mojo and for about a year it was my only source - USB DAC at home and then used in a stack on the go, with either an iPhone or DX90 coaxial to control playback. The stack option was always pretty chunky though, and not that user friendly with silicone straps getting in the way of screen use.

I haven’t had the Poly and obviously the jump to wireless connectivity has been far from seamless. I don’t use streaming services so haven’t had much interest.

I know Chord have a small product line and seem to be more interested in having fewer good products than a range of models, but I hope they seriously consider a future iteration of the Mojo with a microSD card slot, like the Poly, with playback controlled via Bluetooth connection from a phone. I know you’ll say if that option is added, why not just add Bluetooth and WiFi playback options too, but less really is more sometimes.

If that did that, there’d be USB DAC use at home and easier playback on the go, minus all the additional teething/compatibility issues that have affected the Poly. I’m old school and just like playback of my own files loaded onto internal memory/microSD memory. I’d jump on an option like that from Chord in no time, and I’m sure there’s enough audiophiles in the same boat out there to make that option worthwhile - just look at all the successful DAPs with no WiFi or Bluetooth options out there.

I know this option has been raised in this thread before, but just thought I’d add my two cents to show my support for it too.

Not exactly sure what you expect Chord to release at this point.

I am in a similar boat - using Mojo as my desktop DAC hooked to my PC. When it comes to portable use, I am as old school as it gets - SD playback on Poly in its purest SQ mode: Airplane. Since the 2.0 update it is just a matter of turning mojo on, bring up the GoFigure app on my iphone, short wait for the playlists to load up and click play. Same process applies when I am using mojo-poly inside my car.

I have just come back from the 5 day road trip. MojoPoly was used extensively every day, in its HotSpot mode by my passengers, while driving, for 8-9 hours straight and without a single hiccup.
MojoPoly's versatility is superb in my opinion...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #13,206 of 18,741
Agree - stable, gapless playback with a not terrible interface.
I can't see any reason to use M.A.L.P rather than Bubble. Am I doing something wrong?

Screenshot_2019-04-30-23-53-52.png

Screenshot_2019-05-01-00-03-12.png

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #13,207 of 18,741
I can't see any reason to use M.A.L.P rather than Bubble. Am I doing something wrong?

Last time I used Bubble (some time ago, granted) I couldn't get gapless playback and it also clipped the first fraction of a second of each track. I also had trouble playing ALAC files.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #13,208 of 18,741
Last time I used Bubble (some time ago, granted) I couldn't get gapless playback and it also clipped the first fraction of a second of each track. I also had trouble playing ALAC files.
I guess what I really mean is that I can't see any reason to use MPD rather than DLNA. For me DLNA is completely stable, is now gapless and can deliver embedded artwork. I don't have any ALAC so can't comment. The only downside to Poly's SD card DLNA is that it will still not index DSD files, though it will play them. Probably not much Chord can do about that as the DLNA server is third party.

Screenshot_2019-05-01-02-06-26.png

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #13,209 of 18,741
I guess what I really mean is that I can't see any reason to use MPD rather than DLNA. For me DLNA is completely stable, is now gapless and can deliver embedded artwork. I don't have any ALAC so can't comment. The only downside to Poly's SD card DLNA is that it will still not index DSD files, though it will play them. Probably not much Chord can do about that as the DLNA server is third party.

Im not sure DLNA is actually gapless. Its definitely better than it was, but I definitely still would encounter some small skips between songs. Seemed to depend on the file type. Not sure if its fully supported or not.

The other benefit on MPD is that I believe it plays back completely on the poly, meaning if your phone happens to lose connection for whatever reason, your music should continue playing. Beyond that though I personally prefer the convenience of DLNA. We can give you reasons why MPD might be better, but if you are personally asking if you should use it... Sounds like the answer is no if you are completely happy with DLNA.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #13,210 of 18,741
Im not sure DLNA is actually gapless. Its definitely better than it was, but I definitely still would encounter some small skips between songs. Seemed to depend on the file type. Not sure if its fully supported or not.

The other benefit on MPD is that I believe it plays back completely on the poly, meaning if your phone happens to lose connection for whatever reason, your music should continue playing. Beyond that though I personally prefer the convenience of DLNA. We can give you reasons why MPD might be better, but if you are personally asking if you should use it... Sounds like the answer is no if you are completely happy with DLNA.
Gapless has worked for me so far but have only tried it with FLAC files. I believe that DLNA plays back completely on Poly in as much as music is streamed directly from server to renderer without passing through the control point. If the wireless access point is switched off, Poly continues to play, whether to the end of the current track or current playlist I can't remember. I haven't tried roaming between access points while music is playing. Might give that a try.

May 1, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #13,212 of 18,741
Hi everyone,

I'm really close to buying a Poly but have some questions. I plan on using it primarily with Tidal from an iPhone.

First, how is its sound quality over Airplay from the Tidal app vs DNLA or BubbleUPNP? And streaming vs the SD card?

Second, how are peoples experiences using Poly in wifi environments where computers can't see each other on the network like Starbucks, a library, or at work?

Lastly, how does its sound quality via the Poly’s USB connection compare to a top-of-the-line optical source?

Thank you!
Eugene

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #13,213 of 18,741
Fellow Head-Fiers

After the recent update I had to cleanup database files from the SD card. I can't seem to get the artwork when M.A.L.P whereas I could see the artwork using Bubbleupnp.

Any ideas?

Regards
Ven

May 1, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #13,214 of 18,741
Gapless has worked for me so far but have only tried it with FLAC files. I believe that DLNA plays back completely on Poly in as much as music is streamed directly from server to renderer without passing through the control point. If the wireless access point is switched off, Poly continues to play, whether to the end of the current track or current playlist I can't remember. I haven't tried roaming between access points while music is playing. Might give that a try.
I have run a few tests with Bubble and MALP.

With Bubble, if the wifi connection is broken, playback continues for about 5 minutes with 44/16 file, not to end of track or playlist. With MALP playback continues past 5 minutes, but whether to end of track or playlist I didn't have the patience to find out. In both cases, if the connection is remade while the track is still playing, they both stop playing. However, MALP can pickup again without reselecting Poly as renderer while Bubble cannot.

When roaming from one access point to another, playback from both Bubble and MALP collapses as soon as connection is made to the second access point. I didn't check whether MALP would pick up again without reselecting the renderer.

So, a narrow win for MALP/MPD in this context, but best to use Poly Hotspot when on the move.

May 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #13,215 of 18,741
Fellow Head-Fiers

After the recent update I had to cleanup database files from the SD card. I can't seem to get the artwork when M.A.L.P whereas I could see the artwork using Bubbleupnp.

Any ideas?

Regards
Ven

That's my only issue with M.A.L.P. it won't read artwork from the metadata from the files themselves, instead it downloads from Musicbrainz (which often results in incorrect artwork in my experience) or Last.fm.

Users who are viewing this thread

• CH23
Back