Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #11,341 of 18,742
Thanks a lot @Gr8h8m for your advice and I do agree that the sound is great and hopefully I can overcome this, let me try again tomorrow as my MP is running out of battery now.
Hi @Matt Bartlett , I bought in from a retail shop in Hong Kong and the salesperson didn't teach me anything and just referred me to contact local distributor. So I bought my MP and contacted the local distributor for help, but to be frank, the local distributor also doesn't have clue on solving my problems. They just helped me to download an APP called "Hi-Fi Cast" but still can't playback and files in SD card.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #11,344 of 18,742
So I am owner of a Poly from today.

I took it out of its box and found that the P.status LED is missing the transparent cover - probably someone forgot to add it on the factory.

IMG_5909.jpg

Has any of you seen this? I am thinking to return the Poly, as to me it looks a manufacturing issue.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #11,345 of 18,742
@Matt Bartlett @Mojo ideas So I think you guys are definitely right in that it might have more to do with the IEMs I am using here. I know the noise I am hearing is definitely from the poly itself as I can track it to various actions I take when controlling it. So, one of the jacks definitely seems less susceptible to the noise than the other, but Matt as you said, when I move the cable in front of the plastic radio window, the noise can become more steady and much more obvious.

I unfortunately dont have many other quality iems and headphones to test with, other than again to say that my sennheiser HD6XX seemed perfectly fine last night. So maybe it is that my headphones I am using just dont play nice with the mojo/poly, but that would be a real shame that my very expensive headphones cant be used with my very expensive dac/dap. And I am less inclined to blame the headphones here because I hear no interference when using my phone (other than static from the phones crappy dac) or when using something like my cheap radsone earstudio bluetooth receiver. And I just still dont get how I am the only one that is really hearing this, but it is enough for me to essentially not use my mojo/poly, and it sounds more and more like there is nothing wrong with it, its just the way it operates and works, specifically with my headphones.

I will attempt to find some of the ferrite chokes I purchased a while back (that I actually purchased for use with the mojo due to interference over usb). So I have been able to reduce it a bit by moving to the other jack, for whatever reason. But I am open to suggestions here to reduce it further or eliminate it. It really is a sticking point for me, and something that just doesnt feel like it should be there at this price point.

@mandrei83 Thats just the way it is. The led for the p-status is recessed a bit, and the m-status is just a fiber optic thingy that runs back to the light of the mojo. Dont think thats a defect or an issue, just the way its designed. Mine is exactly the same.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #11,346 of 18,742
Thanks a lot @Gr8h8m for your advice and I do agree that the sound is great and hopefully I can overcome this, let me try again tomorrow as my MP is running out of battery now.
Hi @Matt Bartlett , I bought in from a retail shop in Hong Kong and the salesperson didn't teach me anything and just referred me to contact local distributor. So I bought my MP and contacted the local distributor for help, but to be frank, the local distributor also doesn't have clue on solving my problems. They just helped me to download an APP called "Hi-Fi Cast" but still can't playback and files in SD card.

Thanks for letting me know. That's disappointing to hear so I will investigate. I'm sure everyone here will guide you through but also please email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and we will help and get you setup.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #11,347 of 18,742
So I am owner of a Poly from today.

I took it out of its box and found that the P.status LED is missing the transparent cover - probably someone forgot to add it on the factory.

Has any of you seen this? I am thinking to return the Poly, as to me it looks a manufacturing issue.

Hi @mandrei83 There is no issue. The P Status is a hole with an LED behind it. The M Status is a fibre optic light guide to take the light from the LED on Mojo through Poly so you can still see it. So you can see the hole for the P Status LED and the small plastic end of the fibre optic cable for the M (Mojo) Status.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #11,348 of 18,742

Forgive me if you have already tried this. First, are you sure that poly and your phone are both connected to the same wifi network? You can do this either by connecting both to your home wifi (gofigure can help you set that up) or you can set up a hotspot on your phone and set the poly to connect to your phones hotspot. Or finally, set poly up as the hotspot and connect your phone to that hotspot (you will lose internet on your phone).

Then in hificast, what you need to do is pull out the menu from the left and go to media servers. You should see poly listed there as a media server. By selecting it there, it should allow you to view and read the contents of the SD card on the poly (assuming it has been indexed on the poly already... which would have been indicated by flashing blue green red lights). Then, back in the left menu, go to playback devices and again choose the poly. That will then send the audio back to the poly as set it as the playback device. Or do you just not see the poly listed there at all?

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #11,349 of 18,742
Hi @mandrei83 There is no issue. The P Status is a hole with an LED behind it. The M Status is a fibre optic light guide to take the light from the LED on Mojo through Poly so you can still see it. So you can see the hole for the P Status LED and the small plastic end of the fibre optic cable for the M (Mojo) Status.

Thank you for quickly clarifying this, I thought that it was something which my Poly has came up with from the factory.

I have installed last night Roon on my QNAP NAS and I am amazed about how much can do compared with Plex (even with lifetime Plex Pass).
I am intending to make a review of my setup which includes a Cambridge Audio CXN (V1), Poly + Mojo and a QNAP NAS.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #11,350 of 18,742
That's interesting. But is Poly the renderer? I'm confused at how this would work. I only know of Poly being the renderer when the data source is the internal micro sd card. All other times, isn't the smart phone or (bubble or 8 player or gofigure) or computer audio software rendering and then sending to the Poly via Airplay or BT? (I get that Roon may work differently, but I'm not talking about Roon).

I'm confused why jRiver wouldn't work the same. So, if a QNAP is the JRiver "server" (which I also didn't know it could do), wouldn't you then access the JRiver app on the QNAP, and then airplay or bt it to the Poly?

Or is there another way and I just never noticed before?

Curious because I have JRiver, Plex, a QNAP NAS, so seems if you can explain how JRiver would work (assuming it's not the simple method I know of having a smart phone or computer render and send to Poly via Airplay or BT), maybe I could set it up in my home.

I'm not sure about the QNAP, I don't know if that'll run JRiver.
What I have is a windows PC that's running JRiver with the library set up locally (but this can be a network share). Then, I set it up as a DLNA server by ticking the appropriate boxes in the options.
For each client I have I set them up as a DLNA renderer in exactly the same way. This is for other PCs and Macs in the house. On each of those I open the shared library so they're all reading from the same files and the metadata is shared across them.
On my iPad and iPhone I use JRemote which connects to the server.

On each client (PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad) I can choose the output zone/renderer. This includes the poly. It works kind of like spotify connect, the controller sends the instructions to the DLNA renderer which pulls the files from the library.
If I start playing something on the poly using a PC, I can pick up the iPad and see the same content playing when I switch to that zone. I can also turn off the iPad and/or PC and it'll keep playing. At that point the Poly is puling the content directly (or perhaps the server is pushing, I'm not sure. The point is the controllers can be turned off, leave the network, etc.) You can also link zones for whole house audio, although the syncing isn't quite spot on, but that's something else.

If you want further specific help with JRiver, PM me. I don't want to derail this thread too much. Their support forum and wiki is also really good.

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #11,351 of 18,742
Forgive me if you have already tried this. First, are you sure that poly and your phone are both connected to the same wifi network? You can do this either by connecting both to your home wifi (gofigure can help you set that up) or you can set up a hotspot on your phone and set the poly to connect to your phones hotspot. Or finally, set poly up as the hotspot and connect your phone to that hotspot (you will lose internet on your phone).

Then in hificast, what you need to do is pull out the menu from the left and go to media servers. You should see poly listed there as a media server. By selecting it there, it should allow you to view and read the contents of the SD card on the poly (assuming it has been indexed on the poly already... which would have been indicated by flashing blue green red lights). Then, back in the left menu, go to playback devices and again choose the poly. That will then send the audio back to the poly as set it as the playback device. Or do you just not see the poly listed there at all?
Hi Mashuto, yes, I did check both devices are using the same network, but it's pretty funny that my phone can recognize the songs in SD card under wifi network but can't appear any songs while using my phone/my poly as hotspot.

Anyway, I just tried M.A.L.P. and finally it can recognize and playback all the songs in SD card without any problems!!! so Thank you very much again for the help from you all!!!

The sound is great enough for me to go anyway!

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #11,352 of 18,742
Whats the lowest version of droid os that is compatible with gofigure ?

I have an old samsung galaxy mini running 4.4.2 and which I would like to use that as polys controller as the battery lasts for weeks compared to my iphone.

I downloaded universal poly android gofigure and started it and it sees my poly but, when I select my poly the line only loads to halfway and then stops.

Now I’m wondering if gofigure is compatible with android 4.4.2 which is the max for this pos phone.

@Matt Bartlett is droid 4.4.2 ok to run gofigure ?

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #11,353 of 18,742
Whats the lowest version of droid os that is compatible with gofigure ?

I have an old samsung galaxy mini running 4.4.2 and which I would like to use that as polys controller as the battery lasts for weeks compared to my iphone.

I downloaded universal poly android gofigure and started it and it sees my poly but, when I select my poly the line only loads to halfway and then stops.

Now I’m wondering if gofigure is compatible with android 4.4.2 which is the max for this pos phone.

@Matt Bartlett is droid 4.4.2 ok to run gofigure ?

Unfortunately you need Android 7.1 or later. There are some users that are using Android 6 without any problems but because each manufacturer implements Android slightly differently we can't guarantee it will work.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #11,354 of 18,742
Unfortunately you need Android 7.1 or later. There are some users that are using Android 6 without any problems but because each manufacturer implements Android slightly differently we can't guarantee it will work.

When I noticed it wasn’t loading properly I did wonder if it needed a higher version of the droid os, but I was sure I saw something much earlier this year saying 4.4 was the lowest ? But it’s probably for the best, as when I turned my s4 on, I realised just how slow it was compared to my iphone.

Thanks Matt.

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #11,355 of 18,742
Does this setup stream gaplessly? That's my main bugbear with the current DLNA/uPnP implementation. Can't bear gaps (or rather I think of them as glitches/playback errors) where there aren't supposed to be.
Done some testing.

First the good news: BubbleUPnP and mConnect play gaplessly to local renderer from MinimServer.

The bad news: They don't to Poly.

Do chord claim that Poly does gapless playback?

I couldn't get Poly or any local dlna renderer to play gaplessly from LMS, but suspect a configuration error somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back