Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Sep 24, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #10,922 of 18,669
I was hoping you might be able to elaborate a little more on this...

I love my mojo, but it really irritates me that it doesn't sound nearly as good from my iPhone as it does from my PC. I've heard one or two people mention this as well. Both the PC and iPhone would be playing 'extreme' spotify files in this scenario. I'm hoping that a poly could close this gap for me.
At the risk of drifting further off topic... Have you tried a less compressed and lossy streaming service, such as Tidal HiFi? This will be a big improvement in sound quality.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #10,923 of 18,669
At the risk of drifting further off topic... Have you tried a less compressed and lossy streaming service, such as Tidal HiFi? This will be a big improvement in sound quality.

I have not, but we are talking about the same file from the same streaming service PC v. iPhone. So compression isn't the issue.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #10,924 of 18,669
Hey guys,

anyone here succeeded swapping WiFi net on GoFigure? I constantly get stuck when trying to swap from one of the WiFi nets at home to the other... I mean, it detects both nets but isn't able to go ahead with it. Reported through Chord's Beta Test Form to their Staff but was still wondering if anyone's managed to arrive at a good end with it.

Thx anyway for chiming in. :dt880smile:

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #10,925 of 18,669

I love my mojo, but it really irritates me that it doesn't sound nearly as good from my iPhone as it does from my PC. I've heard one or two people mention this as well. Both the PC and iPhone would be playing 'extreme' spotify files in this scenario. I'm hoping that a poly could close this gap for me.

It would help if you describe what you mean by ‘doesn’t sound nearly as good’. Describing the difference in what you hear will help others know what you want.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #10,926 of 18,669

I made some test to find if there is any difference between IPhone, fiio X5III, AK 240 modded and SP 1000 as source for poly and mojo. I used only the USB input and the same cable for the 3 DAP and Apple lightning cable for the iPhone. Not listened any difference between the 3 DAPs but founded one with the iPhone: it sound more flat, less details and lower soundstage. That’s the reason why I prefer to use poly mojo than iPhone connected to mojo.
82959B1E-CA61-4CA4-ABE8-871D933E8691.jpeg

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #10,927 of 18,669
It would help if you describe what you mean by ‘doesn’t sound nearly as good’. Describing the difference in what you hear will help others know what you want.

Spotify 'extreme' quality sounds noticeably less detailed, more compressed, and less musical out of my mojo from my iphone than it does out of my mojo from my PC. I'm not the first person to say this. But I cannot seem to find anyplace where somebody details it.

I'm not sure if this is an iPhone issue, or a spotify on iPhone issue. The only music I listen to on my iPhone is spotify.

.... but founded one with the iPhone: it sound more flat, less details and lower soundstage. That’s the reason why I prefer to use poly mojo than iPhone connected to mojo.

That sounds about right to me... Any ideas why?

I came here hoping for somebody to say that using the Poly and iPhone hotspot would correct this issue. This sounds promising. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #10,928 of 18,669
I don’t understand why: data are data and with different daps, not listened any difference. Why there is one why iPhone: really no idea but for me the iPhone is not the best source for mojo/Hugo. Better to use any DAP in my opinion.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #10,929 of 18,669
Spotify 'extreme' quality sounds noticeably less detailed, more compressed, and less musical out of my mojo from my iphone than it does out of my mojo from my PC. I'm not the first person to say this. But I cannot seem to find anyplace where somebody details it.

I'm not sure if this is an iPhone issue, or a spotify on iPhone issue. The only music I listen to on my iPhone is spotify.

That sounds about right to me... Any ideas why?

I came here hoping for somebody to say that using the Poly and iPhone hotspot would correct this issue. This sounds promising. Thank you.

I'm not an Apple user, but on Android the phones playback volume needs to be set the maximum for Mojo to handle the decoding, bitperfect. Otherwise you are letting the phone do decoding (processing) before handing off to Mojo, which will change the sound you hear from Mojo. Can you check your iPhone volume when playing a track to see if that makes any difference?

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #10,930 of 18,669
I'm not an Apple user, but on Android the phones playback volume needs to be set the maximum for Mojo to handle the decoding, bitperfect. Otherwise you are letting the phone do decoding (processing) before handing off to Mojo, which will change the sound you hear from Mojo. Can you check your iPhone volume when playing a track to see if that makes any difference?

Interesting. I didn't know this about android.

Apple doesn't care what you do to the volume while you have a DAC connected. It is unresponsive regardless of what you set it to.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #10,931 of 18,669

I don’t know Spotify’s interfac, but there may be settings on the phone app that let you change the quality on streaming, regardless of what you are paying for. Are you sure, if so, that the quality is set to the same as the PC?

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #10,932 of 18,669
I don’t know Spotify’s interfac, but there may be settings on the phone app that let you change the quality on streaming, regardless of what you are paying for. Are you sure, if so, that the quality is set to the same as the PC?

I’m 100% positive that the settings are correct. Spotify premium “extreme” quality is set on both the pc and the iPhone.

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #10,933 of 18,669
@lwells, I was going to also suggest checking the volume on the iPhone. It does adjust the volume being fed to the Poly, at least it does on my iPhone to Poly. Even if there is a small difference in volume the louder one will be preferable to our ears, it’s how we humans are wired. I don’t use Spotify.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #10,934 of 18,669
@lwells, I was going to also suggest checking the volume on the iPhone. It does adjust the volume being fed to the Poly, at least it does on my iPhone to Poly. Even if there is a small difference in volume the louder one will be preferable to our ears, it’s how we humans are wired. I don’t use Spotify.
You also want the volume to maximum on the phone to prevent the phone from doing any unnecessary modification to the source. Let the Mojo do the volume adjustment.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #10,935 of 18,669

You also want the volume to maximum on the phone to prevent the phone from doing any unnecessary modification to the source. Let the Mojo do the volume adjustment.

Hi guys. I greatly appreciate the suggestions. But this simply isn't a user error issue. The apple volume control does nothing when the mojo is functioning.

I believe there are only two external DAC's that will retain the function of the Apple volume buttons (apple's own lightning to 1/8" adapter and the Audioquest dragonflies.)

Additionally, while I have not measured loudness, I have matched them to the best of my abilities. This difference in SQ is noticeable between the PC and iPhone. I'm not the only person to notice this. I am confident I could spot the iPhone in a blind A/B comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back