Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 11, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #8,806 of 18,752
Have a look at them in a text editor. They should refer to files explicitly by their file path - my guess is that they are referring to files via network properties.

Ah! You are right. So you can't create playlists in Glider? Just searched back the way and saw @Matt Bartlett pricess for using J River. I will do that when I get home as I don't think there is a way for me to get poly onto the communal WiFi. It's one of those where instead of password it asks for name and room number.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #8,807 of 18,752
Ok I am being super thick now. I have an SD card and have created 5 playlists using glider. They all show up in quick play but none of them actually play. Use case is I am in an area with communal with communal WiFi (centre parcs) which can only be accessed in safari. Tried using MPD playlist in quickplay but without playlists show no songs play. HELP
For now I believe the playlists created by Glider are only usable for Quickplay in either network mode or hotspot mode. There has to be a wireless network in place since Glider utilizes the network references of the music files to create MPD playlists rather than their real paths in microSD card. For your case you can try to initiate poly’s hotspot mode first then use Glider to make playlists. After this they should be readable in Quickplay as long as you don’t turn off Poly’s hotspot (you can turn off the WiFi of your smartphone though).

If you use iPhone you can also try to make playlists in an app called MPDluxe in network mode. Or you can use Cantata on Windows/MacOS or Dapper for Mac. The playlists created by the apps above do not require wireless network in place thus are usable in Airplane/Bluetooth Mode for Quickplay.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #8,808 of 18,752
How is the WiFi range for people? I ask because in my small terraced house the signal seems to die when I move more than a few feet away from my router. The room upstairs where I try and use the Poly is directly above the router room. Everything else works fine - smartphone, Sky Q mini box, ipad and kindle. The Poly however switches to a red light and the music starts cutting and then stops. Now I could use the hotspot mode but would rather use the WiFi as then I can continue to use the phone for other tasks that require the wifi.

The Gofigure app shows a full signal strength

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #8,809 of 18,752
How is the WiFi range for people? I ask because in my small terraced house the signal seems to die when I move more than a few feet away from my router. The room upstairs where I try and use the Poly is directly above the router room. Everything else works fine - smartphone, Sky Q mini box, ipad and kindle. The Poly however switches to a red light and the music starts cutting and then stops. Now I could use the hotspot mode but would rather use the WiFi as then I can continue to use the phone for other tasks that require the wifi.

The Gofigure app shows a full signal strength
For your case the Johh Darko’s recent review of Poly might be helpful. He explained some details of the setup of the wireless network. It seems he ended up using a meshed WiFi network to boost the WiFi signal strength and coverage.

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #8,810 of 18,752
For your case the Johh Darko’s recent review of Poly might be helpful. He explained some details of the setup of the wireless network. It seems he ended up using a meshed WiFi network to boost the WiFi signal strength and coverage.

A quick google search for mesh wifi network suggests a cost implication of over £150. Does this mean the Poly's wifi antenna is quite weak? All other devices work at greater distances except the Poly.

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #8,811 of 18,752
So my plight with GoFigure app continues. I again tried deleting/installing said app. Here's what I've noticed. Poly is in Network/DLNA mode. Poly has been updated to v1.0.26. If I enable BT on iPad and connect Poly to it, GoFigure does not work & Glider will not play FLAC files. If I disconnect Poly from BT, GoFigure does not work, Glider works fine.

What am I missing to get the darned app working? It's a one-star rating for on the App Store. Would have been zero but hey, GoFigure actually exists now so it's a start.

We are looking at this. It appears the iPad 4 cannot run the startup splash screen and there is a compatibility problem with this version of iPad. As soon as I have something I will let you know.

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #8,812 of 18,752
A quick google search for mesh wifi network suggests a cost implication of over £150. Does this mean the Poly's wifi antenna is quite weak? All other devices work at greater distances except the Poly.
Well, it’s hard to say so... After all poly is such a tiny device...

Although I also own a google chromecast audio which seems to have good WiFi reception... But come on, it is Google who made this thing, thus to some degree it’s not fair to compare these technical specs(except SQ, of course) of a product from an audiophile manufacturer with a device made by a tech giant.

In regard to the WiFi setup, I think other devices such as WiFi extender or WiFi bridge might also get the job done.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #8,813 of 18,752
Hi. I think I know what might be happening. This is how I use J River to generate the various playlists I might need. It seems long winded but once you get going it's really quick and easy.

1. Put Poly on the same WiFi network as the computer running J River
2. Make sure DLNA is enabled and running in J River ( Tools - Options - Media Network - Enable DLNA )
3. Once DLNA is running in J River you can then see Poly as a server under the Playing Now - Playing From tabs.
4. Select Poly Server as your audio source ( This assumes your SD card is in Poly and loaded with music )
5. Select the Audio tab in J River - it should ask you to load the music library.
6. Check in the audio tab you can see all your music.
7. Now go to the Playlist tab in J River and either create your own new playlist by dragging and dropping music into a playlist folder or there is a neat thing called smartlists which will create playlists based on various options eg. Audio-all ( for all your msuic ), Audio-high bitrate ect..
8. Once the playlist has been created right click and choose export playlist and choose simple m3u. The playlist will be saved locally on your computer so select a drive or path where you can find it again.
9. Now remove the SD card from Poly, put it in your computer and copy the playlist file you exported in 8 above into the root directory of your SD card.
10. Put the SD card back into Poly and let it rebuild the database
11. Now you should be good to go with the Quickplay function.

There are of course other programs and ways to create playlists but J River has some quite powerful options and will also work on both Mac and PC.
I hope this helps.

Just a few screen grabs as well to help....

It worked Matt, poly sees the playlist and plays music. One slight problem, some of my song names are 192.168.1. Etc.

Any idea what is all about ? Other than that everything works as expected.

All I can say is, without gofigure poly was an ugly (not literally) caterpillar, with gofigure it has now been transformed into a beautiful majestic butterfly, it really has transformed poly.

Thanks again Matt for your help.

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #8,814 of 18,752
We are looking at this. It appears the iPad 4 cannot run the startup splash screen and there is a compatibility problem with this version of iPad. As soon as I have something I will let you know.

I tried gofigure on my ipad air, it never got further than the splash screen, ipad 4 is basically the same as the air, think the air is ipad 4.1 as thats what I see in crash logs.

It doesnt seem to find poly and the wheel just keeps going round and round, am ditching this PoS ipad and buying a new one as apple have basically killed it with every update, takes ages for apps to open and also crashes because it runs out of memory, so time fo an upgrade me thinks.

Atleast I dont have probs with my iphone which is the main controller for poly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 11, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #8,815 of 18,752
Why does everyone like Glider so much? What does it do that BubbleUpnp or an MPD player doesn't?

What others have said, plus the fact that it's just very well designed, from a user-centric point of view, in a way that nothing else in the space that I'm aware of can match.

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #8,816 of 18,752
It worked Matt, poly sees the playlist and plays music. One slight problem, some of my song names are 192.168.1. Etc.

Any idea what is all about ? Other than that everything works as expected.

All I can say is, without gofigure poly was an ugly (not literally) caterpillar, with gofigure it has now been transformed into a beautiful majestic butterfly, it really has transformed poly.

Thanks again Matt for your help.

I couldn’t agree more!

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #8,817 of 18,752
I have had this issue ever since the pre Christmas firmware update. On my home wifi Poly is discoverable for only a few seconds before disappearing and needing a reboot to reappear. In my house my main router is rather new and I use one new repeater and one slightly older one. What I have found is that Poly is always discoverable on the older repeater but has mentioned problem on the two newer ones. I´m pretty sure it has to do with this issue that Jeremy has described for us here: http://www.map-pin.com/wiki/doku.php?id=chordpoly-issues-igmp
I´m a little puzzled that Chord haven´t ironed this one out with the latest FW update (I have made them aware of the issues I´m experiencing, but they say they have never experienced this with BubbleUPnP).
My solution so far that works is to have the BubbleUPnP app open when powering on Poly in order to "catch" it as both a renderer and library. Once "caught" it remains as long as BubbleUPnP is active (also in the background if exiting the app).

@Matt Bartlett maybe you could be so kind as to investigate this for us?
I have tried to recreate your problem several times but Poly stubbornly keeps appearing as both renderer and server in Bubble. As I have posted before, I have had this ptoblem previously on older firmware. I have also had problems previously with a NAS server, Poly renderer and Android device connected to different access points.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #8,818 of 18,752
Matt.

I made the playlist and quickly tested it this morning in the house and quick play worked ok.

I then went outside, poly was a hotspot and quick play sees the playlist but it doesnt play and it automatically tries other songs, but no music.

I then tried it in bluetooth mode and still it didnt play although it can see the playlist and the files as it skips through them, but they are named as a lan ip address.

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #8,819 of 18,752
The numbers 192.168.1.x that you mentioned are network addresses. So when you go outside, and are no longer connected to that network, poly cannot locate the tracks. I think that someone posted about how to edit those network addresses, but you will need to search for the info.

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #8,820 of 18,752
Anyone here using Dapper for Mac? If so I have a current version generating playlists for every album if you want to give it a whirl.

Essentially you create a new playlist called Poly Albums and any albums included will have a playlist generated on the SDcard with all the right goodies.

DM me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back