Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #5,672 of 18,756
In the USA the resellers haven’t been informed of send your unit back program and those of us outside the return window continue to wait for Chord to do whatever it is they claim they are going to do.

I would gladly send it back if I could. Trust me.
Thankfully we're covered by consumer protection laws in Australia. Consumers are entitled to a replacement/refund in the case of a major problem.

What is a major problem?
A product or good has a major problem when:
  • it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
  • it is unsafe
  • it is significantly different from the sample or description
  • it doesn’t do what the business said it would, or what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #5,674 of 18,756
The answer is somewhere in the middle. DLNA is still being used for device discovery and to index your music library, but MPD is being used for all playback commands. DLNA has the benefit of not needing to manually configure your device host and port, and also provides a richer set of metadata over MPD when indexing your library. MPD has the benefit of being a much faster protocol, and on the Poly it also provides DSD and gapless playback, and doesn't suffer from the track start synchronization issue that can cause the start of each track to sound like it's been cut off.

It might sound like a big mess under the hood, but the goal is for you to just launch the app and listen to your music. No prior or future knowledge of MPD, DLNA or any other technical term required.

Joe, you mentioned that the DLNA label will be deleted in the output device name, then how to select DLNA playback rather than airplay or can I prioritise the payback modes. To me playback via DLNA has better sound quality, but some songs are only stored in my iPhone so need airplay to play.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #5,675 of 18,756
Joe, you mentioned that the DLNA label will be deleted in the output device name, then how to select DLNA playback rather than airplay or can I prioritise the payback modes. To me playback via DLNA has better sound quality, but some songs are only stored in my iPhone so need airplay to play.

There will still be two outputs just like before, but the non-AirPlay variant will use MPD now instead of DLNA for the reasons mentioned above. As far as I know, sending MPD commands to the Poly as opposed to DLNA commands will not affect the sound in any way (other than gaining gapless playback).

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #5,676 of 18,756
Hey guys, in the spirit of crowd-sourcing Poly solutions in this thread, did anyone happen to bookmark a good "how-to" set-up playback over MPD for Android anywhere in these 379(!) pages? I'm beyond frustrated with DLNA, so hoping to get better results that way.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #5,677 of 18,756
There will still be two outputs just like before, but the non-AirPlay variant will use MPD now instead of DLNA for the reasons mentioned above. As far as I know, sending MPD commands to the Poly as opposed to DLNA commands will not affect the sound in any way (other than gaining gapless playback).
Do you mean that if I have the same album in both the SD card and iPhone,Glider will always pay the SD card version via MPD?

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #5,678 of 18,756
The answer is somewhere in the middle. DLNA is still being used for device discovery and to index your music library, but MPD is being used for all playback commands. DLNA has the benefit of not needing to manually configure your device host and port, and also provides a richer set of metadata over MPD when indexing your library. MPD has the benefit of being a much faster protocol, and on the Poly it also provides DSD and gapless playback, and doesn't suffer from the track start synchronization issue that can cause the start of each track to sound like it's been cut off.

It might sound like a big mess under the hood, but the goal is for you to just launch the app and listen to your music. No prior or future knowledge of MPD, DLNA or any other technical term required.
Well done Joe it works great!

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #5,679 of 18,756
So is anyone happy with the Poly? I really want one for air travel but this thread is a nightmare.

As many people have already stated we have no idea how many Poly users are happy with it. Unhappy people tend to come to a forum like headfi and shout loudest and although Chord stated before Christmas that 4000 units have sold we have no idea how many have been returned.

Poly does appear to be a "Marmite type" product you will either love it or hate it. To back this up have a look at the reviews on Amazon in the UK. There are currently eight reviews four five star an four one star, user satisfaction appears to be split exactly 50/50.

As others have also said its best to wait, I intend to wait for the H/W fix (my Mojo is an older one) and the app before making a final decision on Poly.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #5,680 of 18,756
I am one of the happy owners of Poly and I haven't posted a lot in this thread since there is no need to. It may be due to my use case being one of the more simple ones, and apart from some dropouts in extremely busy wifi areas, streaming via wifi (Airplay) is superb. Of course, I need to qualify my use case here because I use the 128GB 6th gen iPod Touch with all of my music stored locally (44.1/16, Apple Lossless), and with the Poly set to always start up in hotspot mode. I keep my phone separate and don't store any music on it, thus there is no need to bother with creating a hotspot on my phone (my carrier doesn't allow it on my plan anyway), nor deal with hybrid mode with internet access etc. I also don't use the microSD card at this point, as I plan to wait until the GoFigure app is ready before I try, since I want to keep my music library on iTunes in one place for now. So you can say so far I have luckily avoided all the problematic use cases and pain points most people have experienced.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #5,684 of 18,756
I bought a Mojo about 2 months ago fully expecting to buy a Poly to go along with it. Not only am I not going to be buying a Poly (even if they get it working), I'm looking at dumping my Mojo for a iDSD product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #5,685 of 18,756
I bought a Mojo about 2 months ago fully expecting to buy a Poly to go along with it. Not only am I not going to be buying a Poly (even if they get it working), I'm looking at dumping my Mojo for a iDSD product.

Well done you, you’ve decided not to buy a product based on a few unhappy customers when there are many of us who have units that work as described.
Way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back