Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 27, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #14,852 of 18,669
Hi All.... what’s your favoured iOS app for controlling your Poly?

I find Glider cumbersome and confusing.... (use MPD or Poly as server?... keeps Re-syncing) and 8player destroys gapless albums..

Lesser of two evils!

It's super basic but I have a real love of MPDPlayer when all else fails. Using it now! I found Soundirok just as irritating as Glider and 8Player. Even mconnect sometimes doesn't pick up the poly server. Anyone know how to sort this?

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #14,855 of 18,669
@Matt Bartlett Any updates on chromecast support ?
Now Amazon prime also supports it :D

I'd say consider Casting dead at this point. It's 2020 now and not even mention of it. Chord doesn't seem to put much weight on Android users, which in turn has loosened my weight on them. I don't like being penalized for not liking Apple.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #14,856 of 18,669
I'd say consider Casting dead at this point. It's 2020 now and not even mention of it. Chord doesn't seem to put much weight on Android users, which in turn has loosened my weight on them. I don't like being penalized for not liking Apple.

choice is a marvelous thing and considering how fragmented android is among OEMs Chord probably chose to avoid the headache of all the software and hardware difference in Android.

could they be a touch more forthcoming with an explanation? it would be helpful, but it is no secret that Android poses challenges that IOS doesn't (including licensing issues)

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #14,857 of 18,669
choice is a marvelous thing and considering how fragmented android is among OEMs Chord probably chose to avoid the headache of all the software and hardware difference in Android.

could they be a touch more forthcoming with an explanation? it would be helpful, but it is no secret that Android poses challenges that IOS doesn't (including licensing issues)

It's not a fragmentation issue that we're talking about. Casting is built into Android.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #14,858 of 18,669

I find Glider cumbersome and confusing.... (use MPD or Poly as server?... keeps Re-syncing) and 8player destroys gapless albums..

Lesser of two evils!

Rigelian and MConnect

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #14,859 of 18,669
It's not a fragmentation issue that we're talking about. Casting is built into Android.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that wireless casting needs both a transmitter, and a receiver.
Yes all the android phones can act as the transmitter, but Poly is built using Linux, so the receiver code needs to be embedded into the hardware.
I think Matt posted a few months ago that Google make it difficult for firms to embed casting into hardware, which was the sticking point.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-924#post-15067894
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-874#post-14905642

I am sure that Chord would be delighted to include casting support, if it was as easy as you seem to think it is.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-874#post-14902517
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-875#post-14909811

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #14,860 of 18,669
You seem to be ignoring the fact that wireless casting needs both a transmitter, and a receiver.
Yes all the android phones can act as the transmitter, but Poly is built using Linux, so the receiver code needs to be embedded into the hardware.
I think Matt posted a few months ago that Google make it difficult for firms to embed casting into hardware, which was the sticking point.
I am sure that Chord would be delighted to include casting support, if it was as easy as you seem to think it is.

So Airplay was easier to implement I guess you're saying? Because that was taken care of right away.

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #14,862 of 18,669
I have made no comment about Airplay, so don't try and put words into my mouth.

It wasn't my intention to put words in your mouth. Just going based on what I observe. Airplay is the same kinda feature but for Apple. It was implemented right away. You said it's not as easy as I think, but I see they did it without this huge challenge for Apple. So I have to question the priority there for Google.

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #14,863 of 18,669

Lesser of two evils!
I'm getting solid results with MConnect on ios.

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #14,864 of 18,669
Thanks for letting me know. Yes everything is ok with FLAC and other formats. We are still investigating WAV as it works with some players but not with others.
Just to thicken the plot a bit: 16bit flac from tidal using mconnect has the same issue as the waves. 24bit flac on tidal / mconnect is fine. I have not made my own 16bit flac (or plan to) to see if that's an issue.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #14,865 of 18,669
It wasn't my intention to put words in your mouth. Just going based on what I observe. Airplay is the same kinda feature but for Apple. It was implemented right away. You said it's not as easy as I think, but I see they did it without this huge challenge for Apple. So I have to question the priority there for Google.
John made this famous post 18 months ago, explaining that approx 90% of the Poly users were also Apple users, so Chord prioritised the development of the iOS app and capability first.
The post became famous, because several posters tried to twist his words around, and suggest that Android was considered unimportant, when in fact he was trying to state that the Android owners were also important.

Matt then mentions in the link I added 'Yes the hope is that ......Google will make it available to more hardware manufacturers similar to the approach Apple have with Airplay'.
So overall the Apple owners had the benefit of being the larger user group, plus Apple providing an easier approach for hardware manufacturers to embed Airplay functionality.
In contrast, Google seem to be happy to make it as difficult as possible for hardware manufacturers - which is what has delayed Chord.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back