Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 17, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #14,626 of 18,741
Poly is a bit frustrating to set up, but once it is set up the device (with Mojo) makes for a powerful combo.
Yes, very fair comment.
I came late to Poly ownership, and still am experimenting with getting MALP to work, so I understand the frustration part.
Having said that, I recognise that I used to think that Mojo + a Shanling dap offered good enjoyment with minimal electrical noise issues. However the Poly seems to raise things slightly to the next level, by that I mean that there are times during some tracks when one can hear the 'darkness' of the background during quiet passages, enough to make me consciously think 'that sounds good'. Conclusion is that mojopoly now does offer a powerful combo.
Now that @Sound Eq has solved his recent problems, he can hopefully enjoy his mojopoly, to its fullest.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #14,627 of 18,741
Interesting. I am running 2.0.0 - my Poly came with it out of the box. I generally avoid firmware updates unless release notes indicate that it solves a problem I am having - but I also can't find release notes for any of the Poly firmware aside from a few vague statements about increased Roon compatibility.

I'd love if this was the problem as I can't think of any other fix. I'm still confused about the low-res album art, but I have support tickets out to Hi-Fi Cast to see if they know of a fix.
Ah your Poly is running recent firmware, so i doubt that the firmware version is the issue.
I will try and search for some relevant posts about your issues.
I think the low res art may be due to limitations of transmitting album art via bluetooth bandwidth, but I could be wrong, so further searching of the thread may yield the answer.
:slight_smile:

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #14,628 of 18,741
Ah your Poly is running recent firmware, so i doubt that the firmware version is the issue.
I will try and search for some relevant posts about your issues.
I think the low res art may be due to limitations of transmitting album art via bluetooth bandwidth, but I could be wrong, so further searching of the thread may yield the answer.
:slight_smile:

Thanks for your help. In anticipation of getting the Poly, I have gone through the last 150-200 pages of this thread just to prepare myself.

I'm absolutely determined to get this thing to work for me. The Roon functionality alone makes it worth the purchase. I'll redo all the metadata for my tracks, if need be. I just need to know where the problem is so I can start fixing it.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #14,629 of 18,741
Interesting. I am running 2.0.0 - my Poly came with it out of the box. I generally avoid firmware updates unless release notes indicate that it solves a problem I am having - but I also can't find release notes for any of the Poly firmware aside from a few vague statements about increased Roon compatibility.

I'd love if this was the problem as I can't think of any other fix. I'm still confused about the low-res album art, but I have support tickets out to Hi-Fi Cast to see if they know of a fix.
I am not clear where your music resides. Is it on SD card or on a network server? If the latter what server are you using? Have you tried more than one DLNA server? What tool did you use to create the metadata?

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #14,630 of 18,741
Thanks for your help. In anticipation of getting the Poly, I have gone through the last 150-200 pages of this thread just to prepare myself.

I'm absolutely determined to get this thing to work for me. The Roon functionality alone makes it worth the purchase. I'll redo all the metadata for my tracks, if need be. I just need to know where the problem is so I can start fixing it.
Understood.
The early adopters of Poly experienced many months of frustration, waiting for the poly firmware to catch up to the poly owners needs.
Since Poly v 2.04 the firmware works very well for most use cases (I think spotify and googlecast, etc are still to be solved).
The Poly for all its good points, is still not 'plug and play' in an apple sense, so still benefits from some tweaking by owners to suit their specific circumstances - but then it works well.
So always feel free to post questions/issues, because someone reading the thread may be able to offer some clues, that help you.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #14,631 of 18,741
I am not clear where your music resides. Is it on SD card or on a network server? If the latter what server are you using? Have you tried more than one DLNA server? What tool did you use to create the metadata?

Apologies. The music resides on the micro sd inside the Poly. The metadata was created using Foobar2000 and updated manually by myself if anything was incorrect. Nearly everything is in FLAC format, but there are a few trace mp3 and wav files.

Dec 17, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #14,632 of 18,741
Apologies. The music resides on the micro sd inside the Poly. The metadata was created using Foobar2000 and updated manually by myself if anything was incorrect. Nearly everything is in FLAC format, but there are a few trace mp3 and wav files.
I use Foobar and flac as well. Are you in a position to try streaming from another DLNA source? Is it always the same albums that give the problem or is it random? You could try running CHKDSK /F on the SD card and then reindex on the Poly.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #14,633 of 18,741
I use Foobar and flac as well. Are you in a position to try streaming from another DLNA source? Is it always the same albums that give the problem or is it random? You could try running CHKDSK /F on the SD card and then reindex on the Poly.

I've tried re-indexing the sd card as well as deleting the dlna database, and reloading everything. My test album still comes up in the same wrong order every time. I've checked the metadata with several programs to make sure there weren't extra data values messing with the sorting process. Each song very clearly has a track number and disc number.

I guess I'll have to stick with HiFi Cast for SD Card listening. mConnect is even worse than Bubble UPnP. Instead of sorting any multiple-disc album, it just lists all the 1's, 2's, and 3's together regardless of the sorting method selected.

My only gripe now is the low-res album art. Is this a problem for everyone using the Poly? I found that when the DLNA database is being created, the Poly makes a tar.gz folder with low-res copies of all the album artwork. This is what HiFi cast is pulling from, rather than the artwork embedded in the files. I can't remove the cache without it being immediately recreated, so the issue remains. But, mConnect does see the high-res art. I just wish there was an app that would work properly for me.

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #14,634 of 18,741
I've tried re-indexing the sd card as well as deleting the dlna database, and reloading everything. My test album still comes up in the same wrong order every time. I've checked the metadata with several programs to make sure there weren't extra data values messing with the sorting process. Each song very clearly has a track number and disc number.

I guess I'll have to stick with HiFi Cast for SD Card listening. mConnect is even worse than Bubble UPnP. Instead of sorting any multiple-disc album, it just lists all the 1's, 2's, and 3's together regardless of the sorting method selected.

My only gripe now is the low-res album art. Is this a problem for everyone using the Poly? I found that when the DLNA database is being created, the Poly makes a tar.gz folder with low-res copies of all the album artwork. This is what HiFi cast is pulling from, rather than the artwork embedded in the files. I can't remove the cache without it being immediately recreated, so the issue remains. But, mConnect does see the high-res art. I just wish there was an app that would work properly for me.

Hi @Diraan
Apologies I couldn't step in sooner. I would recommend updating through to the latest 2.0.4 version of firmware in Poly. There have been quite a few fixes in the latest releases which should help. If after updating to 2.0.4 you still have an issue then email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and we will investigate further.

Matt

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #14,635 of 18,741

I have done a bit of digging using my setup and I hope I am not muddying the waters. I am running MinimServer alongside Logitech Media Server on a NAS drive and have found a multidisc album that gives track numbering problems with both BubbleUPnP and Hi-Fi Cast when streaming from MinimServer to Poly or to my tablet. There is no problem streaming from LMS with a Squeezebox app. I copied the album to Poly's SD card and also get a numbering problem there using Bubble and Hi-Fi Cast. I find that setting "Smart sort" for the server library in Bubble solves the problem. It seems to me that the issue is with the UPnP servers rather than with Bubble. It may be that the UPnP spec does not cover how to handle multiple discs.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #14,636 of 18,741
Hi @Diraan
Apologies I couldn't step in sooner. I would recommend updating through to the latest 2.0.4 version of firmware in Poly. There have been quite a few fixes in the latest releases which should help. If after updating to 2.0.4 you still have an issue then email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and we will investigate further.

Matt

Hi Matt - thanks for looking into this.

I upgraded to 2.0.4 and am still experiencing the same problems as before. It's either low-res artwork on Hi-Fi cast or broken track sorting with mConnect and BubbleUPnP

I have done a bit of digging using my setup and I hope I am not muddying the waters. I am running MinimServer alongside Logitech Media Server on a NAS drive and have found a multidisc album that gives track numbering problems with both BubbleUPnP and Hi-Fi Cast when streaming from MinimServer to Poly or to my tablet. There is no problem streaming from LMS with a Squeezebox app. I copied the album to Poly's SD card and also get a numbering problem there using Bubble and Hi-Fi Cast. I find that setting "Smart sort" for the server library in Bubble solves the problem. It seems to me that the issue is with the UPnP servers rather than with Bubble. It may be that the UPnP spec does not cover how to handle multiple discs.

Thanks so much for going out of your way. It's definitely appreciated.

I haven't found that the smart-sort feature helps me at all. The exact same errors present themselves. Are you able to see high resolution artwork with HiFi Cast when using the poly? I emailed the dev my log files and he said that the fault lies with the Poly. The Poly does not point to the high-res album covers, so HiFi cast defaults to the icon-sized pictures that the Poly creates.

Edit: This is what the dev responded with:

"The problem is that when Hi-Fi Cast requests a list of tracks from the Poly (eg. the tracks in an album) the Poly isn't sending back information about the high resolution artwork, only the thumbnail. I have no idea how the other app managed to get this to work so I don't think it will be fixed anytime soon. Sorry."

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #14,637 of 18,741

I upgraded to 2.0.4 and am still experiencing the same problems as before. It's either low-res artwork on Hi-Fi cast or broken track sorting with mConnect and BubbleUPnP

I haven't found that the smart-sort feature helps me at all. The exact same errors present themselves. Are you able to see high resolution artwork with HiFi Cast when using the poly? I emailed the dev my log files and he said that the fault lies with the Poly. The Poly does not point to the high-res album covers, so HiFi cast defaults to the icon-sized pictures that the Poly creates.

"The problem is that when Hi-Fi Cast requests a list of tracks from the Poly (eg. the tracks in an album) the Poly isn't sending back information about the high resolution artwork, only the thumbnail. I have no idea how the other app managed to get this to work so I don't think it will be fixed anytime soon. Sorry."

Sorry yes I forgot to reply about the album artwork. By default Poly prioritises audio over album artwork so normally we only present low resolution images to the music player to keep the WiFi traffic to a minimum and allow maximum bandwidth for the music playback - especially important with DSD and super high res files. Some music player apps will either extract the higher resolution artwork from each of the albums stored or they will use their own online artwork database to display a higher resolution copy.

As for the other issue with track sorting then I haven't seen this with M Connect. Can you give me an example album(s) that you have an issue with and we will give it a go here (assuming we have the same album in our archive of music).

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #14,638 of 18,741

Just a thought. With a 2-disc album I have disc and track numbering like this:
1 1 Track1
1 2 Track2
1 3 Track3
:
2 4 Track1
2 5 Track2

If you have
1 1 Track1
1 2 Track2
1 3 Track
:
2 1 Track1
2 2 Track2
then perhaps Bubble Smart sort does not handle it so well.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #14,639 of 18,741

I think it is also important to make sure that the metadata fields are properly filled in for 'totaldiscs' too. So make sure it is flagged "1 of 2", "2 of 2" etc.

It might be useful if you posted a screenshot of one track in your tagging software of choice and showed us what you've got.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #14,640 of 18,741
I think it is also important to make sure that the metadata fields are properly filled in for 'totaldiscs' too. So make sure it is flagged "1 of 2", "2 of 2" etc.

Making sure multi disc compilations are properly tagged, organized and displayed is something Roon does well. that was one of the first things I noticed while taking advantage of the 60 day trial provided with my Poly purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back