Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 13, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #13,396 of 18,669
@Matt Bartlett
My observations with Mojo-Poly in terms of erratic RFI and other noises:

For instance if I disconnect Poly from a WiFi network there's a hick-up, when it's being connected to one you can hear the chirping and taking the mobile phone close to the Mojo/Poly and you pick up all sorts of obvious RFI noises with the latter had always been there ever since I acquired Mojo.

I don't have any of these issues with my other HiFi gear. I shall re-run some tests and report back if my other gear has similar issues.

I don't remember if I was having this discussion with you or others, but I had constant rfi/wifi interference issues with the mojo and poly. The mojo very specifically would pick up interference from my phone's mobile radio when plugged in via USB and the poly seemed to have interference specifically from whenever wifi was active and sending/receiving data. For instance changing tracks would have noise since I assume data is being transmitted then. Also when scrolling through the dlna library on my phone.

I should also note that the interference was only noticeable on my more sensitive iems. My campfire iems definitely picked it up. But my final e5000 which is less sensitive was much better and my something like the senn hd6xx I couldn't hear any interference at all. The campfires also exhibit some hissing (specifically the atlas). The interference was bad enough that it really disrupted the listening experience for me.

Must just be the way these work with more sensitive headphones. I too didn't hear interference on other source gear even when streaming. Most recently on the fiio m9.

I picked up an iematch recently to see if it would help, and it's made a world of difference. No more hiss and no more interference at all as far as I can tell with my atlas. I know they change output impedence which can affect the frequency response on some iems, but for me since my primary is a dynamic driver I don't think it has much if any effect there. Either way, that's my recommendation here since it seems the interference is just something that comes along with the mojo/poly with certain sensitive headphones.

May 14, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #13,397 of 18,669
I don't remember if I was having this discussion with you or others, but I had constant rfi/wifi interference issues with the mojo and poly. The mojo very specifically would pick up interference from my phone's mobile radio when plugged in via USB and the poly seemed to have interference specifically from whenever wifi was active and sending/receiving data. For instance changing tracks would have noise since I assume data is being transmitted then. Also when scrolling through the dlna library on my phone.

I should also note that the interference was only noticeable on my more sensitive iems. My campfire iems definitely picked it up. But my final e5000 which is less sensitive was much better and my something like the senn hd6xx I couldn't hear any interference at all. The campfires also exhibit some hissing (specifically the atlas). The interference was bad enough that it really disrupted the listening experience for me.

Must just be the way these work with more sensitive headphones. I too didn't hear interference on other source gear even when streaming. Most recently on the fiio m9.

I picked up an iematch recently to see if it would help, and it's made a world of difference. No more hiss and no more interference at all as far as I can tell with my atlas. I know they change output impedence which can affect the frequency response on some iems, but for me since my primary is a dynamic driver I don't think it has much if any effect there. Either way, that's my recommendation here since it seems the interference is just something that comes along with the mojo/poly with certain sensitive headphones.
It was me, we did discuss about this. Interestingly even through my headphones I can pick this up. My ears are very sensitive to any sort of anomalies when it comes to electrical noises.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #13,398 of 18,669
We are still working on this with Roon. I would encourage anyone with an issue to go to the Roon support page:- https://community.roonlabs.com/t/chord-poly-support/68008/23
The more people who can provide us and Roon information the better.
It would be interesting if anyone can try using Poly in hotspot mode and then connect their Roon core to Poly's own WiFi hotspot. If this works then it might tell us something.

Ok I tried last night using Poly in hotspot and Roon mode, but I am missing something I could not get Roon to see Poly's hotspot. They were effectively on two different networks. I am more than willing to do some experimentation to get this resolved, but I may need some direction.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #13,399 of 18,669
Ok I tried last night using Poly in hotspot and Roon mode, but I am missing something I could not get Roon to see Poly's hotspot. They were effectively on two different networks. I am more than willing to do some experimentation to get this resolved, but I may need some direction.

This will depend on where your Roon core is installed. So here at the office we run Roon on Windows laptops or on Apple Macbooks so we can take Roon to the shows we do around the world.

Using this method all we do is connect our laptops to the WiFi from Poly and then open Roon and it will connect via Poly's own WiFi network and allow you to play. Of course using this then none of the streaming services
will work but it will at least tell you whether you can play a local track stored on the computer.

May 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #13,400 of 18,669
It was me, we did discuss about this. Interestingly even through my headphones I can pick this up. My ears are very sensitive to any sort of anomalies when it comes to electrical noises.

Gotcha, sorry, as I said, couldnt remember. I am fairly sensitive to it too I think, since it really does completely ruin the listening experience for me when I hear it and I heard it a lot with the mojo and poly. I also think its just a design "flaw" of the mojo and/or poly. They just likely aren't shielded the same way as other players or there is some other way the interference gets by that makes it audible. I toyed with the idea of getting a replacement, but already had multiple poly replacements and after more and more discussion, I came to the conclusion that its just the way they work, and that my headphones (and myself too) are just sensitive to it.

Do you have any headphones that are better? Anything lower sensitivity to try it with? Just trying to see if you are getting it the same as me. Something to try it with and see if the sensitivity of your headphones is making the difference. Again, because that was it for me. I kinda jumped in blind with the iematch as I had no idea if it would help, but it definitely did, so just thought i would bring it back up and see if it could be a solution for you too.

May 14, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #13,401 of 18,669
@Matt - I am having a strange issue with my Poly that has been successfully upgraded to 2.0. I hadn't used it in a week or so and the Poly battery went dead, After charging and turning on the Poly appears locked into the firmware update cycle with the alternating RGB Poly LED. Any thoughts on what could be causing this and how to restore to normal operation. GoFigure can find the Poly while it is in this state and is reporting FW V2.0 with no update available.

May 14, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #13,402 of 18,669
@Matt - I am having a strange issue with my Poly that has been successfully upgraded to 2.0. I hadn't used it in a week or so and the Poly battery went dead, After charging and turning on the Poly appears locked into the firmware update cycle with the alternating RGB Poly LED. Any thoughts on what could be causing this and how to restore to normal operation. GoFigure can find the Poly while it is in this state and is reporting FW V2.0 with no update available.
The RGB cycling is normally during indexing the SD card.

May 15, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #13,404 of 18,669
Having the first deadlock state since 2.0.0 was installed. Happened just like the others before: switched on Hotspot mode in Gofigure, and the Poly never came back online.

What's worse this time is that the Poly status LED is off, so it's much harder to check when the battery runs out, so I will have to keep connecting the charger to see if the light comes up.

:triportsad:

May 15, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #13,405 of 18,669
Having the first deadlock state since 2.0.0 was installed. Happened just like the others before: switched on Hotspot mode in Gofigure, and the Poly never came back online.

What's worse this time is that the Poly status LED is off, so it's much harder to check when the battery runs out, so I will have to keep connecting the charger to see if the light comes up.

Have you contacted chord support? Or @Matt Bartlett

May 15, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #13,407 of 18,669
Random brightness question for Matt or John at Chord,

What is the battery drain difference between the lights full on or dimmed on the Mojo? I love seeing the colours blazing but the battery hoarded in me can't help but think I'm draining the battery much faster. Do you have an opinion on the drain?

Also, I tend to use Mojo/Poly exclusively and one of my use cases is late night listening in bed. Even on low setting it still pretty bright. Is there any chance that the poly via settings in the iOS/Android app could be used to control Mojo colour balls? Or is that sort of comms between the two devices just not possible. Would be nice to switch the lights off whilst still using the Mojo/Poly.

May 15, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #13,408 of 18,669
This will depend on where your Roon core is installed. So here at the office we run Roon on Windows laptops or on Apple Macbooks so we can take Roon to the shows we do around the world.

Using this method all we do is connect our laptops to the WiFi from Poly and then open Roon and it will connect via Poly's own WiFi network and allow you to play. Of course using this then none of the streaming services
will work but it will at least tell you whether you can play a local track stored on the computer.
I will give this a try tonight

May 15, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #13,409 of 18,669

Is this resolved yet? As others have said a fast cycling of colours indicates the SD card is being re-indexed. The firmware update is a very slow cycling of colours.
You can test by removing your SD card before switching on. If the colour cycling stops then it is down to a database rebuild on your SD card.

May 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #13,410 of 18,669

That's for letting me know. So far we haven't seen a repeat of this behavior since releasing V2.0 firmware as it has a fix to reset Poly. Out of interest was Poly on low battery when you switched hotspot mode on? Switching to hotspot mode takes more power from the battery so if it was low it might just run out of power and switch off. If your Poly isn't turning on now can you try this. Plug it into the charger. Wait 10s then unplug. Then immediately plug back in and wait 30s and then the charge light should come back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back