Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 7, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #11,431 of 18,752
Why should I change these settings, when the Cambridge Audio CXN does not respond with interruptions in sound, for more than 1hr of stressing continuously via AirPlay?
It is clear to me that Cambridge Audio CXN has a correct implementation of AirPlay streaming, while Poly doesn't (it's either HW issue, either SW).
Some users did not bought an iPhone to adjust its screen/processing settings in order to match the low buffering capabilities of Poly.
A very curious way of thinking.
The objective should be to get the music playing correctly.
Instead for you the objective is to not change your phone settings.

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #11,432 of 18,752
We think differently. When you pay 700EUR for a Poly + case, you do expect quality and not workarounds. You expect things to just work perfectly, especially that the product has a two years maturity.
Anyway, thank you for your suggestions: that's how you fix it (and you might be okay having a less animated iPhone GUI), while I will do it differently under the distance buying agreement legislation.

If both Cambridge Audio CXN and Poly would drop the AirPlay music stream under the same stress conditions, I would blame Apple AirPlay SW. In this case the issue is related to my Poly, which I hope that you understand.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #11,434 of 18,752
The same there! I am glad that we have both accepted that we have different opinions.

I don't work for Chord Q&A department and this is an issue which they have to investigate internally.
Maybe a settings change would fix my problem, but it's not the kind of solution I am accepting (each time I listen my music, to switch the Accessibility settings of my phone). But why? Seriously?

BAE94F4F-AE61-4DDF-BA5B-A4A6ADFF825D.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #11,435 of 18,752
Not sure what to say. I do use Airplay sometimes ( mostly GoFigure QP or Glider) and only on rare occasions there is a glitch in playback. I recently drove with a friend for about 12 hours straight and I had him stream Tidal App HiFi through his iPhone 7 Plus and not a single hiccup for 5-6 hours of playback. Iphone was connected to Poly's hotspot and in a hybrid mode. He played offline content and streamed depending where cell signal was strong. Everything sounded great.
I almost suggest testing with another iphone just to be sure.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #11,436 of 18,752
I almost suggest testing with another iphone just to be sure.
I was not able to reproduce the fault on Cambridge Audio CXN while streaming via AirPlay, but only while streaming to Poly => issue with Poly. There is nothing to troubleshoot here on my side, rather than to just notice that the AirPlay feature doesn't work as it should while I stream to Poly from my iPhone.

Matt was able to reproduce this behaviour, too, as you can see below. We all know that it's a known problem:
Yes I've noticed this very occasionally on Airplay but also directly with the lighting headphone adapter or a bluetooth speaker. I believe that sometimes the buffer between Tidal and the phone does not fill correctly so then the music speeds up to resync back to the point where it should be.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #11,437 of 18,752
I tested today while being at home the below setup:

iPhone 8 Plus + Tidal connected to Cambridge Audio CXN via AirPlay for about 1h, stressing continuously my iPhone via different applications (Instagram, Facebook, Reeder, Safari etc) and switching between cell phone operators in order to trigger a bad streaming behaviour => no interruptions
iPhone 8 Plus + Tidal connected to Poly (set at WiFi HotSpot) with the hybrid mode set up (LTE network enabled) => occasional breaks in streaming and I saw again the song buffering interruption issue

To me it is clear the issue is not caused by my phone doing handovers between the LTE cells, as I was standing static in my apartment.
The problem appears when I unlock the screen. When I browse through Reeder. When I browse sites on Safari, too!

It's not Apple's code that has issues, but:

1. Poly is either under-dimensioned (from the processing power point of view => the symptoms might be fixed via a SW tuning, therefore a new HW revision has to be done on Poly with a better processing unit);
2. or Poly is under-dimensioned (from the memory buffer point of view => the symptoms cannot be fixed via SW, therefore a new HW revision has to be done on Poly with a more larger memory buffer chip);
3. or Poly it's missing the buffering implementation for AirPlay (maybe can be fixed via a SW update);
4. or the buffer implementation is incorrectly being done in Poly's SW (it can be fixed via a SW update and that I don't know when it will come);
5. internal clock synchronisation issues related to Poly hardware (can be fixed via HW moods or hacks in house, at Chord Electronics, under product's standard warranty)

I am unable to play consistently the songs via AirPlay with the latest Poly version, therefore I will return my Poly to the dealer and I hope that they will understand that the Poly product is still immature and buggy, although on Roon it works perfectly. Unfortunately that's not my use case while I am on the move, therefore I use AirPlay.

Poly is available for two years on the market, according to the current thread, which makes me even more determined to ask for a refund, since this issue has not been fixed (or it has a fix only via a Poly HW revision update).

I understand everyone's enthusiasm about Poly when it comes about Roon and other use cases, but now I understand that AirPlay's implementation fails to show Poly as being a mature product and now Chord Electronics has to work on this to fix it. I also hope that Chord will appreciate the time I've put into troubleshooting this issue along with my feedback (which is a constructive one).
I use AirPlay all day long, in hybrid mode with mpdelux, qobuz, glider. I have never experienced any buffering. With iPhone 7. And I’m also surfing on my phone, texting, all day long. Occasionally I’d pick up some rf if my kit gets too close to my computer or the poly and the phone are too close whilst both are sending/receiving/playing.
Suggest you borrow a second handset to exclude that possibility.

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #11,438 of 18,752
I see more better results after I have used “Reset Network Settings” function of my iPhone. I will have to re-test the Poly-Mojo while on the move (on a bus) and see how it behaves afterwards.

7E72550C-A8E1-4E4A-B1CD-180B2DEAB1AB.jpeg

I am now trying to reproduce the buffering issue with both Apple Music app and Tidal, both streaming alternatively to Poly (used at hotspot) and while Poly is set to work in hybrid mode.

LE: It did not fixed the problem. I still noticed the buffer problem on my apartment after 20min of listening, while browsing on Safari and streaming to Poly in hotspot mode.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #11,439 of 18,752
@1000ROUNDZ Well, judging at what comes after our posts, that does not reassure me much about the Poly, (and still no real answers anyway).

I am thinking that the Fiio or Hiby3 might do as well. Hiby3 does nearly everything what poly does but creating it's own wifi network. Since I did not find any mention of a hybrid set up for android, that would not change much for me I guess. On top of that, Hiby supports mqa decoding, which chord does not plan to support anyway and also offline tidal.

My only concern with Hiby is RF to Mojo, which is actually also a concern with Poly. Best would be to try them anyway.

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #11,441 of 18,752
@1000ROUNDZ Well, judging at what comes after our posts, that does not reassure me much about the Poly, (and still no real answers anyway).

I am thinking that the Fiio or Hiby3 might do as well. Hiby3 does nearly everything what poly does but creating it's own wifi network. Since I did not find any mention of a hybrid set up for android, that would not change much for me I guess. On top of that, Hiby supports mqa decoding, which chord does not plan to support anyway and also offline tidal.

My only concern with Hiby is RF to Mojo, which is actually also a concern with Poly. Best would be to try them anyway.

Thanks, wasn't aware of the existence of Hiby R3. Just looked through the net about it and it seems to do exactly what I'm looking for and at a fraction of the price of the Poly. There are even cases they can be 3D printed to have both devices nicely stacked together. It's unfortunate that the situation with the Poly has been what it is, especially at that price point.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #11,443 of 18,752
Listening to mojo and poly at the moment, after hugo 2 and mscaler overload, wow, mojo & poly sound excellent, at times I forget just how good the combo are.

However I have one slight niggle with it, it needs moar cowbell.

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #11,444 of 18,752
I have a little problem, I was playing with Poly in hot spot mode yesterday and afterwards I opened go figure on my Ipod touch to change it to wifi.
The device got stuck it seems after the reset since only Mojo's status light is showing. I've had this issue before but Poly managed to reset every time after a couple of hours. (it wasn't while being in hot spot, this is a first)
24 hours later it's still only displaying mojo's status light. I've tried charging them both during the night and leaving poly on for a couple of hours with mojo to see if that would work but unfortunately it hasn't.

Anyone can shed some light on this issue?

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #11,445 of 18,752
I have a little problem, I was playing with Poly in hot spot mode yesterday and afterwards I opened go figure on my Ipod touch to change it to wifi.
The device got stuck it seems after the reset since only Mojo's status light is showing. I've had this issue before but Poly managed to reset every time after a couple of hours. (it wasn't while being in hot spot, this is a first)
24 hours later it's still only displaying mojo's status light. I've tried charging them both during the night and leaving poly on for a couple of hours with mojo to see if that would work but unfortunately it hasn't.

Anyone can shed some light on this issue?

My Poly entered in the same state and I didn't got an insight regarding what happened. It's probably a SW bug that has not been fixed.

My Poly doesn’t turn off and the P.Status led is solid red. I see solid red also when I power on the MojoPoly. It will probably discharge my battery until tomorrow.

Have any of you seen this before?

LE: I've had to do a factory reset via GoFigure, so that I could use the MojoPoly again.

The way to fix our common problem is by doing a factory reset to Poly - at least that was my solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back