Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 5, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #1,126 of 18,757
Did anyone get to sample Poly in NYC or Hamburg this weekend?

I was at the Chord booth but unfortunately they were using a pre-beta version of Poly (according to one of their representatives) and so it was really buggy and dropping connection. I was told the final version wasn't ready in time for Canjam. Oh well.

I will mention that the sound quality did sound great, when it was working .

Here are some photos I took:

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,127 of 18,757
I was at the Chord booth but unfortunately they were using a pre-beta version of Poly (according to one of their representatives) and so it was really buggy and dropping connection. I was told the final version wasn't ready in time for Canjam. Oh well.

I will mention that the sound quality did sound great, when it was working .

That's a pity, hope they do better in 3 weeks time (Bristol) or I will have wasted a lot of cash on hotel and travel. Given that Chord have been tweeting invites to attend Canjam so as to be the first to demo Poly it is annoying that only mockpoly turned up.

This really isn't the right forum but how was Hugo2 working?

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,128 of 18,757
That's a pity, hope they do better in 3 weeks time (Bristol) or I will have wasted a lot of cash on hotel and travel. Given that Chord have been tweeting invites to attend Canjam so as to be the first to demo Poly it is annoying that only mockpoly turned up.

The Hugo 2 was working excellently. The unit they had their was a pre-production unit but everything worked fine (including bluetooth apt-x).

I'm going to post some impressions soon i just need a little time to digest my thoughts. Yesterday was a bit of a sonic overload haha :joy:

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,129 of 18,757
I am confident that connection issues will be resolved by Chord shortly.

xeroian
what event in Hamburg were you referring to?
edit: got it hifitage was this weekend

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,130 of 18,757

The Poly's shown at NewYork are certainly not Mock up products they were two finished units from the first prototype build. Other units with further refinements are being manufactured.this process cycle takes weeks not days We are expecting these units will be the final design. If so we can press the button on volume manufacture However that is just the hardware. Software is still being proved and is still being written and altered and rewritten. This is quite a normal process and will result in product being available when we said it would in the mean time though we are showing some of what Poly can do by showing the first units we have.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,131 of 18,757
The Poly's shown at NewYork are certainly not Mock up products they were two finished units from the first prototype build. Other units with further refinements are being manufactured.this process cycle takes weeks not days We are expecting these units will be the final design. If so we can press the button on volume manufacture However that is just the hardware. Software is still being proved and is still being written and altered and rewritten. This is quite a normal process and will result in product being available when we said it would in the mean time though we are showing some of what Poly can do by showing the first units we have.

Quite understand Poly is not final yet but it is rather disappointing that Chord were tweeting "come and experience Poly in Hamburg and NYC" when the product isn't ready to be experienced in a good way.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,132 of 18,757
John, bit disingenuous for Chord to tweet:

Be the first to demo Poly and Hugo 2 at @CanJamGlobal NYC this weekend.

This weekend don't miss us in #Hamburg at Norddeutsche HiFi-Tage, to experience Poly with Mojo, Hugo 2, Blu MkII, TToby and much more.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #1,133 of 18,757
Anything to do with wireless is the drop of connection!! This 'CanJam Poly' is showing somewhat has the challenges on the stable connection! Which make me worried about getting one... hard wire connection is the to go choice for me, unless the final production Poly can make some magic.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,134 of 18,757
Let's not forget it's not a finished product.

Another thing to consider is that the wlan in a crowded venue is prone to be suboptimal and can't really be compared to a home network.

On the go I think most people will use the phone to control playback from SD, where dropouts, because of connection problems are not possible.

Since even we in Germany are getting better deals on mobile traffic, streaming will get more important.
But as I said before, I am sure Chord will deliver a great product, with stable streaming performance.

The waiting will be over soon...

Cheers

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #1,135 of 18,757
I have 2 questions about Mojopoly:
1. How solid is the "link" between the two? If I put Mojopoly in my backpack without using the cover, will it come apart? (Mojo un-hooking from Poly)
2. Doesn't the cover reduce the heat dissipation hence reduce the Mojopoly lifetime? (Or the battery lifetime)?

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #1,136 of 18,757

Another thing to consider is that the wlan in a crowded venue is prone to be suboptimal and can't really be compared to a home network.

On the go I think most people will use the phone to control playback from SD, where dropouts, because of connection problems are not possible.

Since even we in Germany are getting better deals on mobile traffic, streaming will get more important.
But as I said before, I am sure Chord will deliver a great product, with stable streaming performance.

Cheers

However, the main argument some people are putting forward is that they would like to stream Tidal/Spotify/Qobuz from their mobile. Given it's not the finished software, but the demo does show the concerns that most people have had since day 1 with regards to the wireless connectivity.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,137 of 18,757
I have 2 questions about Mojopoly:
1. How solid is the "link" between the two? If I put Mojopoly in my backpack without using the cover, will it come apart? (Mojo un-hooking from Poly)
2. Doesn't the cover reduce the heat dissipation hence reduce the Mojopoly lifetime? (Or the battery lifetime)?

There is some speculation that their is a (Chord Electronics) carry case included with it. This will for sure hold them together. However it's not confirmed that I have seen for the bundled case. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #1,138 of 18,757
However, the main argument some people are putting forward is that they would like to stream Tidal/Spotify/Qobuz from their mobile. Given it's not the finished software, but the demo does show the concerns that most people have had since day 1 with regards to the wireless connectivity.

That's why I said I see mobile streaming becoming more important and expressed my confidence, that Chord will deliver a final product, well up for that task.

Cheers

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #1,139 of 18,757

Cheers
yes your correct Audio Nick I was not ingenuous in my comments we did not expect the problems we'd had in New York Unfortunately as well as overwhelming internet traffic, no one could use the hotel routers, we also had our router fail in New York where Matt was unable to fix it due to being inundated at the show the guys were swamped with interested people at the table. Lesson learned we will take more spare ancillary gear and more people next time sorry guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back