Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Oct 15, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #11,026 of 18,752
I've used Mojo with many of the Astell & Kern players. I've never had this quality of sound with any of them (the A&K 320 came close if my memory serves well).

Technically the sound is on another level with Poly imho.
I agree to this.
I am using Mojo from last 2.5 years.
I have tried many transport like Oneplus one, Oneplus 5, Hidizs Ap60. Everytime i change the transport, the sound also changes. By far with Hidizs AP60, i get the best sound quality.

Now next part is USB cables. I have USB cables like Pure coppe, Pure silver, Copper+Silver and Amazon Basics Type c to Micro. All cables give different sound.

So now i am getting the Poly to get the best sound from Mojo without expensive USB cables with Type C and Micro hassles.

I hope the Mojo+Poly will sound better than my Hidizs AP60 + Mojo + Forza Audio Pyre USB cable. Even the SQ is same, i will be happy with Mojo + Poly for next few years :)

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #11,027 of 18,752
When I use Roon on Android it mostly works fine until you unlock the phone. Sometimes Roon pulls through and doesn't interrupt the bitstream but mostly gaps appear that speed up until the music stops (takes about two seconds). Then you have to wait 5-10 seconds until it recognizes the end point again before you can continue where the connection broke up. I just installed a wireless access point that is only meters away from Poly. My smartphone is displaying full wifi signal everywhere I use it in that location.

edit typo.

Where I was using it, was about .5-20M away from the router. The main point I made in various posts was that a $35 Rpi had no similar issue, nor did any Android/Apple devices used as endpoints. 3 different routers exhibited the same behavior.

This is strange since it seemed poly is little more than a prettied up $700 single board PC with a battery and it all of the devices are running a version of linux.

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #11,028 of 18,752
I agree to this.
I have tried many transport like Oneplus one, Oneplus 5, Hidizs Ap60. Everytime i change the transport, the sound also changes. By far with Hidizs AP60, i get the best sound quality.

Now next part is USB cables. I have USB cables like Pure coppe, Pure silver, Copper+Silver and Amazon Basics Type c to Micro. All cables give different sound.

So now i am getting the Poly to get the best sound from Mojo without expensive USB cables with Type C and Micro hassles.

I hope the Mojo+Poly will sound better than my Hidizs AP60 + Mojo + Forza Audio Pyre USB cable. Even the SQ is same, i will be happy with Mojo + Poly for next few years :)

Poly is great when you use the SD card, it’s also great on Roon and Tidal, although it still has it’s bugs, but now it’s very usable.

You will enjoy poly, sd card playback is excellent.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #11,030 of 18,752
Hi Guys & Girls,
Just wondering, is it worth buying DSD music to play through the Mojo & Poly (this is my only source). As the music costs a lot more money is there much difference between DSD & FLAC.
I really struggle to hear any difference - using Sennheiser HD600 and elderly ears. Likewise cannot hear any difference between FLAC and WAV.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #11,031 of 18,752
Hello All,

I received Poly 1 hour back. First 20 mins, i was so frustrated, because nothing was working for me. Luckily after little time, all issues are resolved.
I am writing a small guide here, so that it can help others in future for android users. My phone is Oneplus 5. And yes now i can access internet too while listening to Poly on wifi :)

Ok so below are the steps,

1. Download gofigure app/ or don't. Doesn't matter. I feel without gofigure app, it's more smooth.
2. Download BubbleUPnP
3. Create hotspot mode in Poly by pressing the sim ejector pin
4. Connect to Poly via mobile wifi which will open the Mojo homepage automatically
5. Now change the Name of Poly, don't select the "keep hotspot mode" turned on (Otherwise you can't connect to mobile hotspot mode which is about to come)
6. Go to wifi setting in the Mojo page, put the mobile hotspot name in SSID field and the password for your mobile hotspot (keep it simple, no special character, so keep name simple)
7. Do save and select the option "Reboot on Save"
8. Turn on the mobile hotspot and in few seconds the Poly will be connected to the Mobile hotspot
9. Use BubbleUPnP to browse SD card content, log in Tidal and enjoy.

It's been only one hour, so i will share more once i discover more :)

Last but not the lease, yes Mojo + Poly sounds best, i am able to hear some minute details in my favorite songs, which i never heard cause it was supressed by other layers. So may be i am able to listen one more layer of music :)

Happy listening !

Questions, comments and criticism are highly welcome. !

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #11,032 of 18,752
I really struggle to hear any difference - using Sennheiser HD600 and elderly ears. Likewise cannot hear any difference between FLAC and WAV.
There shouldn't be any sonic difference between a FLAC or WAV version of the same file. FLAC is lossless after all. If there is a difference then there are errors in your playback system.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #11,034 of 18,752
I’ve been reading about the Poly for a while as I love my Mojo with my hd650s and Etymotic 4xr iems...

But the funny thing is that a few years ago I bought Jplay software when everyone thought that was an asinine thing to do. Then Jplay made a cool app called Jstreamer I think, which was able to use BubbleUpnP and let your Android phone control a program called minim server via Jstreamer... anyway it was all very techie and while I heard major sound benefits it was too quirky and my WiFi wasn’t strong enough for Hi-Res files...

Anyway, I’m using Jplay now and can hear some slight benefits to the mono from a laptop, and assume poly would be the same or slightly better... but all this cost me less than 100 bucks.

Actually, now I'm using Jstreamer with Linn Kazoo as my iOS control via a little free app called Minim Server on my PC and it sounds **amazing. I don't know why, but the Mojo responds very well to high quality streaming. The only limitation is that this is a) not very portable, and b) these apps for some reason only play WAV files, no flac/alac/dsd...

The soundstage is larger and there is better instrument separation, while the total sound picture is softer without lacking detail. The timing is making me tap my toes and dance, while I feel very involved in the music. The voices and acoustic guitars on the remastered Tea for Tillerson 96/24 sound so realistic and at the same time analogue (yes, I hate that term) with the bass sounding extremely natural right now on my Senneheiser HD650s.

The point is, I am actually considering buying the Poly because I believe that if there are so many sound benefits that come from streaming despite being connected to the USB of a laptop, there can only be extra benefits from the data transfer process used by such a short connection as in the Poly. Still, it's a lot of money for technology that can be had now for much cheaper that already offers a lot of sound improvement. The cool thing with Poly is that you don't need a laptop at all with the SD card, and you can basically turn the Mojo into a quite high end music streaming station that can be transported.

Since my PC is quite old now, I'm seriously considering making the plunge, but it is mainly for non-sound quality related issues, like convenience, since the sound with streaming is already very good without the Poly.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #11,036 of 18,752
Actually, now I'm using Jstreamer with Linn Kazoo as my iOS control via a little free app called Minim Server on my PC and it sounds **amazing. I don't know why, but the Mojo responds very well to high quality streaming. The only limitation is that this is a) not very portable, and b) these apps for some reason only play WAV files, no flac/alac/dsd...

The soundstage is larger and there is better instrument separation, while the total sound picture is softer without lacking detail. The timing is making me tap my toes and dance, while I feel very involved in the music. The voices and acoustic guitars on the remastered Tea for Tillerson 96/24 sound so realistic and at the same time analogue (yes, I hate that term) with the bass sounding extremely natural right now on my Senneheiser HD650s.

The point is, I am actually considering buying the Poly because I believe that if there are so many sound benefits that come from streaming despite being connected to the USB of a laptop, there can only be extra benefits from the data transfer process used by such a short connection as in the Poly. Still, it's a lot of money for technology that can be had now for much cheaper that already offers a lot of sound improvement. The cool thing with Poly is that you don't need a laptop at all with the SD card, and you can basically turn the Mojo into a quite high end music streaming station that can be transported.

Since my PC is quite old now, I'm seriously considering making the plunge, but it is mainly for non-sound quality related issues, like convenience, since the sound with streaming is already very good without the Poly.

Have you tried using a Chromecast Audio and connecting it optically to the Mojo? That's what I do.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #11,037 of 18,752
Is streaming quality not as good as SD playback?
I suppose that would depend on the quality of your files on the SD Card and the quality of your connection to the streaming service.

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #11,038 of 18,752
I agree to this.

I never really understood why people said the player affected the sound. Unless the player is sending noise along the USB line. Similar to how noise USB lines from a PC can affect sound. However I bought an Audioquest Jitterbug which helped with that on PC. It can be used with a DAP and Mojo too.

It could be errors though I suppose. On PC USB the Chord DACs resend for data if there is an error. No idea if Mojo can do that with a DAP.

Otherwise, all the data is the same, whichever source it comes from and is clocked the same by the Mojo.

I opted not to buy a Poly, since I guessed I would only ever use the SD-card. Instead I use a DAP for portable music. It doesn't have the audio quality of the Poly/Mojo, but it's more than good enough. It can pair with Mojo at home.

I don't have a smart phone either though to drive the SD card player. Choosing one of those is enough hassle on its own.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #11,039 of 18,752
Poly’s SD file playback beats any streaming option SQ wise. Glider works really well in that scenario. Best unmatched SQ for Poly is achieved with its Airplane Bluetooth control mode and QuickPlay option though.
Oh and no USB connection to Mojo will beat Poly+Mojo combo. They are made for each other.

Also different PC audio players sound very different while playing the very same lossless files in bit-perfect configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back